Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
NEW RULE: DON'T TALK ABOUT NUCLEAR POWER SOURCES-THEY ARE ILLEGAL AND EVEN IF I COULD MAKE ONE IT WOULD LAND ME AND ANYONE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER IN PRISON FOR AN AWFULLY LONG TIME

Because why the heck not! I mean seriously there has to be more than a few people who have considered this... It WOULD take a long time to buy those little vials of gold to make the titanium gold alloy for the suit and the arc reactor will be absent in the end-but really, most of what we need for this to be reality we already have... with some minor adjustments. Repulsor technology DOES exist HOWEVER it is on a micro-scale and nowhere near applicable to this situation. ERGO thrusters will need to be replaced with a fuel combusting rocket propulsion system-I propose 100% denatured alcohol combined with LOx regenerative cooled thrusters on both hands and feet combined with a ramjet on the back portion. Electrical energy would need to be provided by a yet to be designed power source reliant heavily on graphene super super capacitor application (yes super is supposed to be there twice). also given the much shorter range for powered flight a unique method of in-flight re-fueling needs to be developed-I propose a winged re-fueler that attaches to the back under its own power refuels then detaches or remains in place for increased range (think a robotic eagle attaching to your back and you get the gist of the concept-two devices that work together or separately). laser technology at the level showcased in the films currently needs cooling-I suggest refrigerated "flourintert" a marketed and costly concoction capable of some highly impressive convection, it would need to be watertight because this stuff evaporates (and again it costs more than gold-literally ounce per ounce it costs more than gold). Weapon bay doors require minimal hardware but significant software updates which brings us to the computing problem AND amazing considerations. I cant speak for certainty for the comics but the movie's show two things on computation and the suit: on-board & off-board computers. On-board you have everything to run the suit on a basic level, boards sensors and servos are all neatly packed together to allow for function. Anything complex rely's on Jarvis- this is the equivalent to a sudo command, a command so powerful it can harm your computer so you don't want to mess with it under stress BUT that is when you need it most THEREFORE you have a FREAKING SUPER COMPUTER work out the specifics of what you need to happen and import the code and voila safety protocols are overridden and you either have capacitors charged to 300% or all remaining power is diverted to thrusters and your just tossed a nuke at snobby aliens. A stretch? sure. Point made? Hellz yia!

additional considerations would be:
aerodynamics
needed baydoors and attachments
weight to fuel ratio
computational power of on-board computer
connection strength and speed to off-board computer
production costs
heat control from propulsion
adjustable geometry for (s)ram jet
distribution of support systems and mobility
do you stick with red and yellow?
which suit inspires the end result (i am personally a fan of the ultimates series suit, more room for toys)

Research sources:

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2010-05/you-built-what-real-iron-man

this is the most reputable source so it goes first, a video is included and the showcased suit does have some basic animation

http://vimeo.com/51873011

equally credible but on a specific part so not as cool

http://www.youtube.com/user/theherotutorials

This gives instructions on how to build a fiberglass and spray paint suit, offers free 3d software and files to make adjustments for your body proportions.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/31/iron-man-suit-gadgets-cost-one-billion_n_1724626.html

this contains an infographic related to the total cost of being tony stark however the top portion deals specifically with the suits on-board technology in basic detail

http://io9.com/5533077/how-much-would-it-cost-to-build-a-real-iron-man-suit

this gives a basic comparison with known technology to proposed technology needed for a functional suit

http://www.4shared.com/zip/c4O8Zqr6/IronManMk3_Final.html

this contains a zip file with 3d software application for design- I haven't tried this so if you wish to use it please do so at your own discretion

http://www.therpf.com/f24/dancinfools-iron-man-mark-iii-pep-files-101543/

this is a link to a forum with images of a MarkIII suit design-just appearance no internal pieces

Fanatical Zealot

There are two really big problems with the suit design; number one is flight, and number two is the energy projectiles.

Both of these require an enormous amount of energy.

The best jet pack I can think of only lasts about 10 minutes.

Even F16's and stuff only fly a couple of hours.

If you wanted something with any kind of considerable speed, and I mean let's say you had wings, and tried to create the best glide ratio you could, with as small a thing as possible, you still might have a decent, small transport craft, but not a suit.

Plus, what could be strong enough and lightweight enough to serve as the suit?

Even if you mass produced a buckypaper graphene hybrid with immense power and still, stability, buckypaper's strength based on it's binder, and graphene being flexible (losing some of this property if used with interlocked buckypaper stuff), you would still lack a capable energy source.

To create an electrically powered lift propulsion system, like in say, a satellite? Powerful enough to fly under terrestrial conditions? Pretty much impossible.

If you did manage to create a fusion power system, you'd be better off powering an electrical helicopter, made out of say, graphene and whatnot, than trying to build the suit.

In essence, a lot of features are simply impossible. An interesting idea for power though would be a small, liquid salt uranium reactor. I believe if it's CANDU based, even, you could use non nuclear bomb capable stuff, but I don't know how much it would need, or even if it would work.

A large problem with MECH's or exoskeletons are inefficiencies.

If you eliminate energy as a constraint, then efficiencies shouldn't be a huge problem.

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Suicidesoldier#1
There are two really big problems with the suit design; number one is flight, and number two is the energy projectiles.

If you wanted something with any kind of considerable speed, and I mean let's say you had wings, and tried to create the best glide ratio you could, with as small a thing as possible, you still might have a decent, small transport craft, but not a suit.

Even if you mass produced a buckypaper graphene hybrid with immense power and still, stability, buckypaper's strength based on it's binder, and graphene being flexible (losing some of this property if used with interlocked buckypaper stuff), you would still lack a capable energy source.

To create an electrically powered lift propulsion system, like in say, a satellite? Powerful enough to fly under terrestrial conditions? Pretty much impossible.

If you did manage to create a fusion power system, you'd be better off powering an electrical helicopter, made out of say, graphene and whatnot, than trying to build the suit.

In essence, a lot of features are simply impossible. An interesting idea for power though would be a small, liquid salt uranium reactor. I believe if it's CANDU based, even, you could use non nuclear bomb capable stuff, but I don't know how much it would need, or even if it would work.

If you eliminate energy as a constraint, then efficiencies shouldn't be a huge problem.

Again note the unison of two systems working as one

a glider fuel tank with the capability of attaching and detaching at will

powered flight without the glider for the time being would only be for moments when absolute maneuverability was crucial

100% alcohol and LOX have been demonstrated to provide the necessary thrust to manage this kind of thrust

in addition the alternating geometry of a ram jet cuts down on inefficiencies by requiring no moving parts- hand and foot thrusters would only be needed to get the suit & WING UNIT up to minimum ramjet velocity

the amount of time you want in the air can be determined by the size of the wing you choose to have attached for the majority of your flight time

at any given moment you may detach-do stunts-and the wings will use guidance algorithms to re-attach on their own.

graphene no longer requires a binder as noted in my sources we have just discovered an industrialized method of production requiring only a dvd burner and graphite pulverized in water (for specific and accurate details see my sources)

electrical propulsion in its current stage is almost 100% efficient however is only effective in the vacuum of space and is incapable of displacing atmospheric pressure significantly or the effects of gravity.

Fusion is beyond our grasp at the moment again my sources indicate that graphene will be an effective means of storing sufficient power for the operation of electrical components to said suit-powered flight still remains reliant upon alcohol and LOX combustion ala the rocketeer

the designs for buildable suits without any capabilities are available online at this time for free or relatively low fee's. Using these designs as the first stepping stone eliminates the need for function testing of the basic joints to a significant degree

the main progression from decoration to function is a slight increase in thickness and an added bulk of hardware to include: PCB's, yet-to-be-designed-batteries, regenerativly cooled engines the size of baseballs, tubes for fuel and oxidizer, servos and actuators, and added space for customize-able use

consider the process of building a computer: you start with the case, attach the mother board, then each component one by one, load the software not already included then commencing full use.

so it will be in this case

our shell has already been designed, we need to strip away all the empty space replace the base materials with the best that can be managed, add in necessary components, focus on quality over quantity, and with sustained effort success in some form is inevitable.

Fanatical Zealot

mace_of_knowledge
Suicidesoldier#1

powered flight without the glider for the time being would only be for moments when absolute maneuverability was crucial

100% alcohol and LOX have been demonstrated to provide the necessary thrust to manage this kind of thrust

in addition the alternating geometry of a ram jet cuts down on inefficiencies by requiring no moving parts- hand and foot thrusters would only be needed to get the suit & WING UNIT up to minimum ramjet velocity

the amount of time you want in the air can be determined by the size of the wing you choose to have attached for the majority of your flight time

at any given moment you may detach-do stunts-and the wings will use guidance algorithms to re-attach on their own.

graphene no longer requires a binder as noted in my sources we have just discovered an industrialized method of production requiring only a dvd burner and graphite pulverized in water (for specific and accurate details see my sources)

electrical propulsion in its current stage is almost 100% efficient however is only effective in the vacuum of space and is incapable of displacing atmospheric pressure significantly or the effects of gravity.

Fusion is beyond our grasp at the moment again my sources indicate that graphene will be an effective means of storing sufficient power for the operation of electrical components to said suit-powered flight still remains reliant upon alcohol and LOX combustion ala the rocketeer

the designs for buildable suits without any capabilities are available online at this time for free or relatively low fee's. Using these designs as the first stepping stone eliminates the need for function testing of the basic joints to a significant degree

the main progression from decoration to function is a slight increase in thickness and an added bulk of hardware to include: PCB's, yet-to-be-designed-batteries, regenerativly cooled engines the size of baseballs, tubes for fuel and oxidizer, servos and actuators, and added space for customize-able use

consider the process of building a computer: you start with the case, attach the mother board, then each component one by one, load the software not already included then commencing full use.

our shell has already been designed, we need to strip away all the empty space replace the base materials with the best that can be managed, add in necessary components, focus on quality over quantity, and with sustained effort success in some form is inevitable.

I always thought it would be interesting to have like a, stealth cargo plane where you use some kind of glider or short range areal vehicle to transport you to and from your sight, so you could literally jump down like 25 miles, grab a guy, and then fly back rather than needing a base of operations near by as a launching platform for say, a helicopter, which has a really limited range; with super armor there's almost no chance of failure even if you don't kill anyone, since you can't be killed.

But there's still the issue of power; thrust is one thing, but efficiency requires thousands of pounds of jet fuel; even in an F15, something like half it's weight is in fuel, (well, 1/3 when it's all combined together) and it's using humongous crazy efficient aircraft engines, and it only has like, 2 hours of flight, really, so it's a matter of range and time which little jetpacks can't accomplish.

Here's my idea though; if you're using grapehene, as armor, why not make a light weight suit?

It's 200 times stronger than steel, and 1/10th the weight, and flexible, right? The average human being has about 1.5-1.9 square meters of surface area on their body.

So let's say we use two square meters per person. Last I heard it was 100 dollars per square cm being .13 millimeters thick; I believe it can be cheaper than that.

Anyways, 1 millimeter would be the equivalent of 200 millimeters, or about 8 inches of steel, which will stop a 40mm grenade, and most say, 30mm armor piercing rounds and whatnot with ease. Due to it's elasticity it should be a lot more durable, since it will effectively, "spring" back together.

That would be, 20,000 square centimeters, or 2 million dollars, or 15 million dollars per suit if it's 1 millimeter thick. In terms of weight, it would only be like, 3.5 pounds.

So, you could make say, a really efficient, huge glider suit, that was really thin, but also had almost no way of tearing. Then you could use that and have say, wing arms that pop out, and a jetpack.

But you'd still only have a limited range, even though you'd be way lighter weight.

But at 15 million dollars per suit, last I heard it could be even cheaper than 100 dollars per square centimeter, like maybe even 30 dollars, or over 3 times cheaper. With some "nano-muscle" stuff, about 200 times stronger than normal muscle, 1mm would be the equivalent of 200mm, or about 8 inches of muscle.

So adding an extra 3.5 pounds, or 1mm, would give you, potentially, the equivalent of 8 inches of muscle all over your whole body. With graphene super capacitors, operating at say, 5-10% their maximum for long term battery storage, you could probably power the suit *and* it's computer chips (which they're already making graphene chips and stuff), you could have the software, hardware, and computer capability, that was also flexible and nearly indestructible, for a suit like this.

You could also, conveniently, change colors, since graphene can also serve as a computer display, not making you invisible but serving as perfect camouflage for any occasion.

If you reduced down to two layers, it would only be 4 billion dollars for about 1000 suits, which could outfit a specialized special forces unit, that would have the equivalent of 2 inch armor, sufficient to stop say a 40mm armor piercing grenade, and probs more since it's flexible and won't be destroyed in a single hit, like say a ceramic.

So if we're using super materials, why make an iron man suit? Have a lightweight, graphene based glider suit and jetpack, fly down from a large cargo plane and drop a few dozen guys in, with karate moves, to knock everyone unconscious, bag the guy you're looking for, and just get in, like pin point lightning bolt operations; you don't even need a war or an army to take down saddem Hussein, or osama bin Laden anymore etc.

The primary problem is, long term flight with something that small isn't really an option; even if you carry 10 times your weight in fuel, now you have all this extra added weight in fuel that makes it impractical and fuel efficient.

Long story short it would be better to use small suits if you had that kind of technology, and light transport units, with say a 50-100 mile range, designed for insertion, like a personal glider, instead of say a parachute, so you could fly back and dock with a bigger more efficient plane and fly off. xp
Look at the HAL 5 powered exoskeleton. Go from there.

Computing power is the least of your problems. If you remove all the junk that's bloating current mobile OS a computer the size of a mobile phone should have enough power to control your suit.
(Edit: I'm obviously not talking about a sarcastic AI to have Snark-to-Snark Combat with here.)
The armor is where things get complicated: it would be too heavy to be lifted by some little engine in the feet and hand. Not to mention a few millimeters of titanium gold alloy would never survive a direct hit from a tank. WW2 saw weapons that could penetrate this "armor" from miles away and modern tanks are considerably stronger. Even some heavy infantry based weapons could penetrate this from a distance (and i'm not just talking about anti material rifles, like the M82 Barret.)
Powered armor as seen in WH40K or Star Craft are more realistic.

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Suicidesoldier#1
mace_of_knowledge
Suicidesoldier#1

I always thought it would be interesting to have like a, stealth cargo plane where you use some kind of glider or short range areal vehicle to transport you to and from your sight, so you could literally jump down like 25 miles, grab a guy, and then fly back rather than needing a base of operations near by as a launching platform for say, a helicopter, which has a really limited range; with super armor there's almost no chance of failure even if you don't kill anyone, since you can't be killed.

But there's still the issue of power; thrust is one thing, but efficiency requires thousands of pounds of jet fuel; even in an F15, something like half it's weight is in fuel, (well, 1/3 when it's all combined together) and it's using humongous crazy efficient aircraft engines, and it only has like, 2 hours of flight, really, so it's a matter of range and time which little jetpacks can't accomplish.

Here's my idea though; if you're using grapehene, as armor, why not make a light weight suit?

It's 200 times stronger than steel, and 1/10th the weight, and flexible, right? The average human being has about 1.5-1.9 square meters of surface area on their body.

So let's say we use two square meters per person. Last I heard it was 100 dollars per square cm being .13 millimeters thick; I believe it can be cheaper than that.

Anyways, 1 millimeter would be the equivalent of 200 millimeters, or about 8 inches of steel, which will stop a 40mm grenade, and most say, 30mm armor piercing rounds and whatnot with ease. Due to it's elasticity it should be a lot more durable, since it will effectively, "spring" back together.

That would be, 20,000 square centimeters, or 2 million dollars, or 15 million dollars per suit if it's 1 millimeter thick. In terms of weight, it would only be like, 3.5 pounds.

So, you could make say, a really efficient, huge glider suit, that was really thin, but also had almost no way of tearing. Then you could use that and have say, wing arms that pop out, and a jetpack.

But you'd still only have a limited range, even though you'd be way lighter weight.

But at 15 million dollars per suit, last I heard it could be even cheaper than 100 dollars per square centimeter, like maybe even 30 dollars, or over 3 times cheaper. With some "nano-muscle" stuff, about 200 times stronger than normal muscle, 1mm would be the equivalent of 200mm, or about 8 inches of muscle.

So adding an extra 3.5 pounds, or 1mm, would give you, potentially, the equivalent of 8 inches of muscle all over your whole body. With graphene super capacitors, operating at say, 5-10% their maximum for long term battery storage, you could probably power the suit *and* it's computer chips (which they're already making graphene chips and stuff), you could have the software, hardware, and computer capability, that was also flexible and nearly indestructible, for a suit like this.

You could also, conveniently, change colors, since graphene can also serve as a computer display, not making you invisible but serving as perfect camouflage for any occasion.

If you reduced down to two layers, it would only be 4 billion dollars for about 1000 suits, which could outfit a specialized special forces unit, that would have the equivalent of 2 inch armor, sufficient to stop say a 40mm armor piercing grenade, and probs more since it's flexible and won't be destroyed in a single hit, like say a ceramic.

So if we're using super materials, why make an iron man suit? Have a lightweight, graphene based glider suit and jetpack, fly down from a large cargo plane and drop a few dozen guys in, with karate moves, to knock everyone unconscious, bag the guy you're looking for, and just get in, like pin point lightning bolt operations; you don't even need a war or an army to take down saddem Hussein, or osama bin Laden anymore etc.

The primary problem is, long term flight with something that small isn't really an option; even if you carry 10 times your weight in fuel, now you have all this extra added weight in fuel that makes it impractical and fuel efficient.

Long story short it would be better to use small suits if you had that kind of technology, and light transport units, with say a 50-100 mile range, designed for insertion, like a personal glider, instead of say a parachute, so you could fly back and dock with a bigger more efficient plane and fly off. xp

You are thinking on the right track, and this is good-great in fact-but what we are looking for in the present moment is building something with off the shelf technologies with as minimal development as possible

bare minimum standards:

complete suit of armor built of lightweight yet resilient metal-this can be done

on board computer with communication relays to a more powerful computer for higher accuracy calculation- this can be done

liquid fuel rocket agility capability- this requires algorithmic development for obvious safety concerns however is still easily within reach

drone jet pack-you nailed this one on the head- geometries would have to differ given the situation and likely maneuvers you would have to perform in any particular situation. this is for distance the hand and foot rockets are for moving short distances fast and making very tight turns

as far as cloaking skin goes yes it is possible however the algorithmic layering and the chemical makeup of that particular type of armor is for the moment beyond me-if you have a link to said research that would be amazing.

the issue i have with using graphene as a primary metal is that yes it is strong but it is also incredibly flexible and offers very little resistance-for example if you were shot, and there was a sheet of graphene in between you and the gun, the bullet would still go through you only now it will be covered by graphene and the sheet will be pulled inside of you.

electric muscle while fascinating is not currently practical, if further developed it is very possible to incorporate it into an overall design.

the main purpose to building an ironman suit is not for warfare as "The20" has pointed out what ever WE can make is useless against heavier rounds and tanks. the point is to burn the box and not think about the ashes (if you're still tracking you have the brain for this kind of thing) eventually it is entirely conceivable this could be weaponized and used in conflicts- take the homebrew Serbian tank made with a ps3 controlling the turret.

But also think of the scientific ramifications of this, rather scifi inspired, research: prosthetic advancement, software advancement, materials advancement, possibly a new extreme sport, a new perspective on space/pressure suits, bi-computer analytical systems, and escape mechanisms for skyscrapers

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
The20
Look at the HAL 5 powered exoskeleton. Go from there.

Computing power is the least of your problems. If you remove all the junk that's bloating current mobile OS a computer the size of a mobile phone should have enough power to control your suit.
(Edit: I'm obviously not talking about a sarcastic AI to have Snark-to-Snark Combat with here.)
The armor is where things get complicated: it would be too heavy to be lifted by some little engine in the feet and hand. Not to mention a few millimeters of titanium gold alloy would never survive a direct hit from a tank. WW2 saw weapons that could penetrate this "armor" from miles away and modern tanks are considerably stronger. Even some heavy infantry based weapons could penetrate this from a distance (and i'm not just talking about anti material rifles, like the M82 Barret.)
Powered armor as seen in WH40K or Star Craft are more realistic.

I am familiar with this exoskeleton and with darpas proposed model for combat application. these focus on increasing load bearing strength. what i am looking for is more speed oriented. point taken on durability, however given the vairable rate of combustion i am forced to disagree in terms of powered flight-citing the obvious drain to fuel reserves such a feat would cost. as far as armor goes the only measure i am concerned with is a 50 cal round- if the suit can survive 10 of those i call that a win.
mace_of_knowledge
I am familiar with this exoskeleton and with darpas proposed model for combat application. these focus on increasing load bearing strength. what i am looking for is more speed oriented. point taken on durability, however given the vairable rate of combustion i am forced to disagree in terms of powered flight-citing the obvious drain to fuel reserves such a feat would cost.
Not sure what you are trying to get at here.

mace_of_knowledge
as far as armor goes the only measure i am concerned with is a 50 cal round- if the suit can survive 10 of those i call that a win.
Good luck with that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG
Instead, the M2HB Browning with its .50 caliber armor-piercing cartridges went on to function as an anti-aircraft and anti-vehicular machine gun, with a capability of completely perforating 0.875" (22.2 mm) of face-hardened armor steel plate at 100 yards (91 m), and 0.75" (19 mm) at 547 yards (500 m).

http://gizmodo.com/019817/barrets-xm109-no+hassle-25mm-sniper-rifle
The XM109 can hold up to five of the 25mm rounds (...) and can penetrate up to 50 millimeters of armored plating, such as the stuff that protects many of aging SCUD missile launchers.

Fanatical Zealot

mace_of_knowledge

Well, an inch of steel all over your body, which you would need less than that considering the kind of coverage you can get, but 1 inch of steel, which is sufficient to stop most .50 caliber rounds, but not even an armor piercing 40mm grenade, would be, 2.5 cm all over your whole body. Given that the plates would, in effect, overlap to allow movement, on like fingers and stuff? It would mostly even out.

Anyways, it will roughly take 20,000 square centimeters; iron is about 7.85 grams per cubic centimeter. 20,000 x 7.85 = 157,000 grams, or 157 kilos, or 345 pounds; for one cm of steel.

An armor piercing M16 round, the standard weapon by the U.S., can penetrate 10mm of steel.

So, with about an inch, you'd need about 860 pounds of steel. Still wouldn't stop armor piercing .50 caliber or 40mm rounds.

Even 800 pounds is too much for current exoskeleton designs and you'd really need something closer to 2400 pounds, or 3 inches.

HOWEVER!

I know of a material they want to use for aircraft. Aluminum oxynitride. It's translucent, and the buffering process strengthens it, which also makes it amazing for both infrared and regular sunlight travel, making it ideal for solar panels, or facemasks which have thermal infrared vision underneath it. About 2-5mm, with a polycarbonate backing, half the thickness of bulletproof glass, will stop a .50 cal. Without cracking or denting, and can be used over and over again; the composite allows it for it to be super strong, and super hard, so it's near impossible to scratch, but also difficult to crack, so it stands up against multiple shots. Also, it conveniently makes a nice fask mask since it's super clear.

Only problem? 10 to 15 dollars per square inch, or 20,000 per square meter. When you think about, not that bad. Roughly 40,000 dollars per human, for total coverage, and what of weight? Roughly 3.69 grams per cubic centimeter, so, 74,000 grams for the entire body, or 163 pounds. For 2mm, we're talking 32.5 pounds. With a plastic polycarbonate backing maybe another 15 pounds or so.

Not really that bad; a current VEST for the military, say the Modular Tactical Vest, is about 30 pounds.

With say, The HULC, the military version has 3 days worth of power and can carry 200 pounds at a general speed of 10 mph. A 2 week reserve of an aluminum air battery (which is easily recycle, but not rechargeable), on top of a hybrid stryker brigade, let's say, will allow a troop transport to provide electricity for the suits, and the extra back up battery should give you a pretty good window.

200 pounds for your legs, maybe you can adjust it to fit the armor better, maybe even provide some for the arms, say 25 pounds. Could work.

Still not an ironman suit though.

But with small personal jetpacks and wings, you could still fly, from say a cargo plane, onto the sight, do your job, and then fly back up. Pretty easy. So you could effectively achieve what you want.

But as far as a real iron man suit?

You just need too much fuel or too much power for the energy based weapons. xp

You can get pretty close, though.

All you need is a typical smartphone computer made by armscale and a brain thingy and you have an easy way to control it. If that brain thingy fails, a basic touch operated thing on your arm (which your armor is translucent) will be fine.

The only problem is your armor will be translucent.

To get rid of that you only need to put a BDU on the outside; also useful, are solar panels which can work indefinitely with the HULC system. Unless it's super cloudy or something. With the armor, is also conveniently can protect it without interfering with solar stuff. So it can go on your helmet and shoulder pads without too much of an issue; then you're pretty much smooth sailing.

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
The20
mace_of_knowledge
I am familiar with this exoskeleton and with darpas proposed model for combat application. these focus on increasing load bearing strength. what i am looking for is more speed oriented. point taken on durability, however given the vairable rate of combustion i am forced to disagree in terms of powered flight-citing the obvious drain to fuel reserves such a feat would cost.
Not sure what you are trying to get at here.

mace_of_knowledge
as far as armor goes the only measure i am concerned with is a 50 cal round- if the suit can survive 10 of those i call that a win.
Good luck with that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG
Instead, the M2HB Browning with its .50 caliber armor-piercing cartridges went on to function as an anti-aircraft and anti-vehicular machine gun, with a capability of completely perforating 0.875" (22.2 mm) of face-hardened armor steel plate at 100 yards (91 m), and 0.75" (19 mm) at 547 yards (500 m).

http://gizmodo.com/019817/barrets-xm109-no+hassle-25mm-sniper-rifle
The XM109 can hold up to five of the 25mm rounds (...) and can penetrate up to 50 millimeters of armored plating, such as the stuff that protects many of aging SCUD missile launchers.

What I am getting at is something with the capability of flight, very little obstruction of movement, and the ability of powered flight with and without wings. without wings serving as fuel tanks i recognize that the consumption of fuel will be mark-ably greater than with wings given the rapid change of velocity. And I am fully aware of the power of a 50 caliber round, we still use the M2 from WWII it still works and we still call it the can opener-but surviving that capacity of destructive force is not a needed feature from the get go. this project is geared towards taking a decorative suit of armor and gradually giving it capabilities as time goes on-starting with flight. If it can fly then we can move forward with armor.

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Suicidesoldier#1
mace_of_knowledge

Well, an inch of steel all over your body, which you would need less than that considering the kind of coverage you can get, but 1 inch of steel, which is sufficient to stop most .50 caliber rounds, but not even an armor piercing 40mm grenade, would be, 2.5 cm all over your whole body. Given that the plates would, in effect, overlap to allow movement, on like fingers and stuff? It would mostly even out.

Anyways, it will roughly take 20,000 square centimeters; iron is about 7.85 grams per cubic centimeter. 20,000 x 7.85 = 157,000 grams, or 157 kilos, or 345 pounds; for one cm of steel.

An armor piercing M16 round, the standard weapon by the U.S., can penetrate 10mm of steel.

So, with about an inch, you'd need about 860 pounds of steel. Still wouldn't stop armor piercing .50 caliber or 40mm rounds.

Even 800 pounds is too much for current exoskeleton designs and you'd really need something closer to 2400 pounds, or 3 inches.

HOWEVER!

I know of a material they want to use for aircraft. Aluminum oxynitride. It's translucent, and the buffering process strengthens it, which also makes it amazing for both infrared and regular sunlight travel, making it ideal for solar panels, or facemasks which have thermal infrared vision underneath it. About 2-5mm, with a polycarbonate backing, half the thickness of bulletproof glass, will stop a .50 cal. Without cracking or denting, and can be used over and over again; the composite allows it for it to be super strong, and super hard, so it's near impossible to scratch, but also difficult to crack, so it stands up against multiple shots. Also, it conveniently makes a nice fask mask since it's super clear.

Only problem? 10 to 15 dollars per square inch, or 20,000 per square meter. When you think about, not that bad. Roughly 40,000 dollars per human, for total coverage, and what of weight? Roughly 3.69 grams per cubic centimeter, so, 74,000 grams for the entire body, or 163 pounds. For 2mm, we're talking 32.5 pounds. With a plastic polycarbonate backing maybe another 15 pounds or so.

Not really that bad; a current VEST for the military, say the Modular Tactical Vest, is about 30 pounds.

With say, The HULC, the military version has 3 days worth of power and can carry 200 pounds at a general speed of 10 mph. A 2 week reserve of an aluminum air battery (which is easily recycle, but not rechargeable), on top of a hybrid stryker brigade, let's say, will allow a troop transport to provide electricity for the suits, and the extra back up battery should give you a pretty good window.

200 pounds for your legs, maybe you can adjust it to fit the armor better, maybe even provide some for the arms, say 25 pounds. Could work.

Still not an ironman suit though.

But with small personal jetpacks and wings, you could still fly, from say a cargo plane, onto the sight, do your job, and then fly back up. Pretty easy. So you could effectively achieve what you want.

But as far as a real iron man suit?

You just need too much fuel or too much power for the energy based weapons. xp

You can get pretty close, though.

All you need is a typical smartphone computer made by armscale and a brain thingy and you have an easy way to control it. If that brain thingy fails, a basic touch operated thing on your arm (which your armor is translucent) will be fine.

The only problem is your armor will be translucent.

To get rid of that you only need to put a BDU on the outside; also useful, are solar panels which can work indefinitely with the HULC system. Unless it's super cloudy or something. With the armor, is also conveniently can protect it without interfering with solar stuff. So it can go on your helmet and shoulder pads without too much of an issue; then you're pretty much smooth sailing.

I want to remain as true to the comics as i can, however i have to do without energy weapons-the theory exists the application does not. therefore replacement equivalent technologies need to be developed/considered/adapted/created and fitted into the suit while maintaining the ability to fly-on this point i will not budge. the mother boards will need to be custom made and use laptop components for weight and energy consumption concerns-the main computer can be as large as needed so long as it can communicate wirelessly over great distances-satelight phone maybe?

consider a swiss army watch- the swiss make great watches and knives. normally they would not combine the two but this doesn't make it impossible-the first result is bulky and unweildy, over time the design becomes smoother and more efficient-so too will the design of further versions of this homebrew ironman suit

yes i wont have energy weapons for any conceivable amount of time-but human flight has been proven possible in two circumstances with less complex equipment than i am proposing. current jet packs are blocky restrictive and difficult to maneuver-the rocket wing suit is marvelous however lacks any sort of agility. using something resembling the ironman suit solves so many problems we face in such circumstances.

In flight refueling - as i have previously proposed by switching out wings (which are mostly fuel tanks) eliminates (in direct proportion to resources devoted to fuel) restrictions of range

I must stress the importance of the V-1 rocket and the "build your own cruise missle" article floating around the internet with instructions on making a pulse jet engine which is the foundation of ramjet engines (i could be wrong here i am rusty in this field) once you have started and have picked up enough speed the main engines can kick into gear and carry you into full flight speed

(computer is acting up i apologize if this is a repeat post)

Fanatical Zealot

mace_of_knowledge

Okay, but if you have mid air flight refueling, why not just, fly in an air plane, all the way there, and then jump out at the last second? When you need to?

I'm sure it's possible to fly a short distance with wings, or for a short time, but you really won't fly very well. Current electronics will probably be fine; 10-20 pounds or so of "computer" along with keeping the thing cool and in a vacuum will probably solve most of it's issues.

Also a cruise missile has maybe the range of 1000 miles, max. It carries a 1000 pound payload and is 3500 pounds; but it's only 20 inches in diameter yet has an 8 foot 9 inch wing span and is around 20 feet long.

Humans aren't shaped like that.

Even if you use a cruise missile, and you transport someone to the site, inside a cruise missile, it's sub-sonic, has an engine, and other components that aren't designed to be re-used, to deploy troops, really anything like that.

So, the guy is in an iron man suit, so he can jump out and not die, you deploy troops that way; that's still 500,000 dollars per deployment. And a non-reusable engine, that's a solid fuel engine and whatnot.

The thing is designed to crash; where and how will it land?

At 500 mph it has maybe 2 hours of flight. With a booster.

So, okay, you use this to transport someone to sight; it's not re-usable, has a very short time frame, and you have to have wings and be 20 feet long. You could have a local jet pack, for helping you to get on roof's, on top of buildings etc. but it won't be very good; wings make it efficient, so if you want to fly around for a few minutes, hovering, it's really not going to work. That sort of eliminates the benefits of a short range jet pack.

I mean you could carry around a standard assault rifle to replace a weapon but you couldn't really, fly around a whole lot, due to energy and size and more importantly, shape constraints.

Basically, a super suit, a mech suit, is probably possible; it will provably have to be powered by your body, in that your thoughts will have to move it by it sensing your movements.

But you will only be able to carry around a few hundred pounds, at max in a device that size, and most of that will be for armor.

Which will be hundreds of pounds. Even for say, vanadium chrome steel. Basically the best suit you could make would essentially be, a suit for a human.

An inch of steel all over your body would be 800 or so pounds, as previously described; with some materials, like say even carbon fiber, or better things for armor, it may be 5 times lighter weight than that, maybe even using kevlar or m5 fiber. Maybe even aluminum oxynitride.

The problem is practicality, and in some circumstances even feasibility; okay sure, with mid-air flight refueling, you could travel farther. But why not just be in a plane, then? As far as solid fuel multi-stage non-reusable rockets, I mean again, it's not practical for just flying around town, on top of buildings whenever you feel like it, in large part due to aerodynamics and stuff, that if you lack, will only give you a few minutes of flight, instead of hours. The time it takes to get up to speed will be an issue since humans can take that many G's, so it will have to be slow to begin with and relatively modulated.

It becomes impractical as a real flight thingy.

One cool thing you could do is have your own satellite; say, a hubble one, which believe it or not most spy satellites use that. Say even better than hubble, which we have the technology for now a days. The whole thing is about a billion dollars. But you could use it to have a bird's eye view of what's going on; maybe something like a predator drone looking down, so you could essentially, see around corners. If you're on top of a building or something, and some guy is hiding in between a building, you could get a different angle on him and see what's going on. Also it could serve as your computer, relaying information, so it could process way more data, or store it, and just give you info.

So with computer problems, not as big a deal. Expensive, but I imagine something that big could go on to work for like, at least 1000 suits, in the same way GPS works; you could have GPS guidance systems using satellites only designed for you, essentially. That also could serve as communication, spy, and other types of satellites.

Maybe have a lasah or some bizz every once in a while. I know they made a MIRACL laser that could shoot down satellites, so obviously it has to be able to shoot the reverse, back down to earth. Energy is enormous but a P-238 Stirling radioisotope generator + solar panel system, plus some super capacitors, could allow for a decent laser shot, after it charges.

But the flying and weapons part are just crazy ridiculous to try to do. There's a reason we don't all have personal jet packs. It just doesn't work, money or not; but, a suit of armor, even a exo-skeleton to transport it, sounds reasonable. If you made a system, rather than just a suit, you could do things (such as, instead of mid air flight refueling, just had it transport you), it might actually be more practical, especially if you had multiple people.

Since you wouldn't be invincible, especially not to 20mm or 30mm, or even 40mm anti aircraft weapons, tank rounds, etc. you would need weapons, and a team of guys, say a few thousand, maybe 10 or so per team, that could flank the enemy, draw it's fire, ambush it, carry different weapons systems into combat.

A good anti-tank thing might be missiles, like say the javelin, or a stinger for anti-air. These are relatively lightweight but just as effective as a 10,000 pound gun. Expensive, but that's not an issue when you want to spend hundreds of millions of dollars. With it, you could actually afford to carry around 50 pound missile systems, on top of a 3 day supply of food (which is 30 pounds) and whatnot, if you can carry around hundreds of pounds of armor, meaning you could in effect, make a special forces team, virtually invincible to small arms fire, up to a .50 caliber machine gun, or a 40mm grenade or so (a common obstacle), that could also have light anti-tank or aircraft weaponry, if necessary. While this is already possible, having a suit that took the strain off of a soldier to carry around a 100+ pound pack?

Every iron man could have an m240 machine gun and 1000 rounds of ammo, plus an automatic grenade luancher or whatevsz.

If you add anti-tank missiles, small enough for infantry, but now that you're able to carry around like it's nothing? You can actually have an effective unit.

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Suicidesoldier#1

Quote:
Okay, but if you have mid air flight refueling, why not just, fly in an air plane, all the way there, and then jump out at the last second? When you need to?

BECAUSE IRONMAN SUIT!

Quote:
I'm sure it's possible to fly a short distance with wings, or for a short time, but you really won't fly very well. Current electronics will probably be fine; 10-20 pounds or so of "computer" along with keeping the thing cool and in a vacuum will probably solve most of it's issues.

remember that most of the actuators are your organic movements eliminating precision but allowing for efficiency

Quote:
Also a cruise missile has maybe the range of 1000 miles, max. It carries a 1000 pound payload and is 3500 pounds; but it's only 20 inches in diameter yet has an 8 foot 9 inch wing span and is around 20 feet long.

you are on the right track with the state of a "cruise missile" I was suggesting the use of ram jets- cruise missiles use ram jets however ram jets are not cruise missiles

Quote:
Humans aren't shaped like that.

tracking

Quote:
Even if you use a cruise missile, and you transport someone to the site, inside a cruise missile, it's sub-sonic, has an engine, and other components that aren't designed to be re-used, to deploy troops, really anything like that.

already covered this, the change of geometry will effect a cost in efficiency however the use of a ramjet is advantageous due to the lack of complexity and moving parts. the use of conventional regenerative cooled mini engines are only there for course correction and for attaining initial ramjet velocity as they will only function within certain speeds. if you were able to alter and fine tune the inner geometry of the ramjet you would be capable of greater or slower speeds-this is critical. the most applicable locations for a ramjet placement would be on the outside of the boots/shins or on the back

Quote:
So, the guy is in an iron man suit, so he can jump out and not die, you deploy troops that way; that's still 500,000 dollars per deployment. And a non-reusable engine, that's a solid fuel engine and whatnot.

for a conventional cruise missile you would be correct, by what i have stated this is not true given the re-usable regeneratively cooled micro rockets and the highly reusable (less wear and tear) ramjet engine

Quote:
The thing is designed to crash; where and how will it land?

either by changing the angular geometry of the ramjet engines or by cutting off the main engines and using the micro/supplementary engines to maneuver into a landing position while negating forward momentum at G-forces sustainable to the human frame

Quote:
At 500 mph it has maybe 2 hours of flight. With a booster.

This is highly dependent on several factors: altitude, fuel efficiency, drag, friction of the material, mass/momentum, and the presence of the winged exterior fuel tank as previously mentioned.

Quote:
So, okay, you use this to transport someone to sight; it's not re-usable, has a very short time frame, and you have to have wings and be 20 feet long. You could have a local jet pack, for helping you to get on roof's, on top of buildings etc. but it won't be very good; wings make it efficient, so if you want to fly around for a few minutes, hovering, it's really not going to work. That sort of eliminates the benefits of a short range jet pack.

i see where you are getting at however the perspective i have is taking the physical design of what has been portrayed in the films and finding conventional ways to bring THAT into reality-what you just mentioned was seen in MIB3

Quote:
I mean you could carry around a standard assault rifle to replace a weapon but you couldn't really, fly around a whole lot, due to energy and size and more importantly, shape constraints.

designs for the STEN machine gun are available online free of charge-i propose mounting the firing mechanism and barrel on the topside of either or both of the gauntlets and placing cameras on either end to triangulate with additional cameras spaced throughout the suit to accurately predict where every round will land prior to firing- and only firing with an accurate shooting solution

Quote:
Basically, a super suit, a mech suit, is probably possible; it will provably have to be powered by your body, in that your thoughts will have to move it by it sensing your movements.

this technology is still in development, and far from my capabilities to manifest at the present moment and likely for some time to come

Quote:
But you will only be able to carry around a few hundred pounds, at max in a device that size, and most of that will be for armor.

again not necessarily so, the point is not to stop every round at the get go but to gradually improve all features with each successive upgrade

Quote:
Which will be hundreds of pounds. Even for say, vanadium chrome steel. Basically the best suit you could make would essentially be, a suit for a human.

this is the main concern, no suit can weigh over 300 pounds fully fueld otherwise it may not fly

Quote:
An inch of steel all over your body would be 800 or so pounds, as previously described; with some materials, like say even carbon fiber, or better things for armor, it may be 5 times lighter weight than that, maybe even using kevlar or m5 fiber. Maybe even aluminum oxynitride.

not feasible again weight constraints, the possibility of a nano honeycombed structure is more likely than a plain inch of plate steel

Quote:
The problem is practicality, and in some circumstances even feasibility; okay sure, with mid-air flight refueling, you could travel farther. But why not just be in a plane, then? As far as solid fuel multi-stage non-reusable rockets, I mean again, it's not practical for just flying around town, on top of buildings whenever you feel like it, in large part due to aerodynamics and stuff, that if you lack, will only give you a few minutes of flight, instead of hours. The time it takes to get up to speed will be an issue since humans can take that many G's, so it will have to be slow to begin with and relatively modulated.

BECAUSE IRONMAN!

Quote:
It becomes impractical as a real flight thingy.

CURSES TO PRACTICALITY

when electricity was in its infancy it was a plaything to the rich-look how that has improved our lives, creation is never effieicnt-if you do not fail your risks are too small, if you never make anything strange you are not thinking of anything new!

Quote:
One cool thing you could do is have your own satellite; say, a hubble one, which believe it or not most spy satellites use that. Say even better than hubble, which we have the technology for now a days. The whole thing is about a billion dollars. But you could use it to have a bird's eye view of what's going on; maybe something like a predator drone looking down, so you could essentially, see around corners. If you're on top of a building or something, and some guy is hiding in between a building, you could get a different angle on him and see what's going on. Also it could serve as your computer, relaying information, so it could process way more data, or store it, and just give you info.

recently declassified and cleared for public release was a tree dimensional satelite imaging process similar to what you are talking about

Quote:
So with computer problems, not as big a deal. Expensive, but I imagine something that big could go on to work for like, at least 1000 suits, in the same way GPS works; you could have GPS guidance systems using satellites only designed for you, essentially. That also could serve as communication, spy, and other types of satellites.

buying time in space IS rather expensive

Quote:
Maybe have a lasah or some bizz every once in a while. I know they made a MIRACL laser that could shoot down satellites, so obviously it has to be able to shoot the reverse, back down to earth. Energy is enormous but a P-238 Stirling radioisotope generator + solar panel system, plus some super capacitors, could allow for a decent laser shot, after it charges.

the difficulty in directed energy weapons is that you have to get enough energy focused on your target to melt through the hull, at a distace that becomes a problem-especially with the atmosphere coming into play

Quote:
But the flying and weapons part are just crazy ridiculous to try to do. There's a reason we don't all have personal jet packs. It just doesn't work, money or not; but, a suit of armor, even a exo-skeleton to transport it, sounds reasonable. If you made a system, rather than just a suit, you could do things (such as, instead of mid air flight refueling, just had it transport you), it might actually be more practical, especially if you had multiple people.

the reason is lazyness and a disproportion of education and resources

Quote:
Since you wouldn't be invincible, especially not to 20mm or 30mm, or even 40mm anti aircraft weapons, tank rounds, etc. you would need weapons, and a team of guys, say a few thousand, maybe 10 or so per team, that could flank the enemy, draw it's fire, ambush it, carry different weapons systems into combat.

now you are talking about building an army, i like to see you thinking however this is not the purpose of the exercise. we are attempting to make an ironman suit-not start a war

Quote:
A good anti-tank thing might be missiles, like say the javelin, or a stinger for anti-air. These are relatively lightweight but just as effective as a 10,000 pound gun. Expensive, but that's not an issue when you want to spend hundreds of millions of dollars. With it, you could actually afford to carry around 50 pound missile systems, on top of a 3 day supply of food (which is 30 pounds) and whatnot, if you can carry around hundreds of pounds of armor, meaning you could in effect, make a special forces team, virtually invincible to small arms fire, up to a .50 caliber machine gun, or a 40mm grenade or so (a common obstacle), that could also have light anti-tank or aircraft weaponry, if necessary. While this is already possible, having a suit that took the strain off of a soldier to carry around a 100+ pound pack?

yes these weapon systems can be mounted however in all practicality they would have to be designed in house-if you have an unregistered ak47 you might get a fine or a warning to get it registered-if you have a javelin missile you will never be seen again. the need for provisions is an interesting topic, and i would love to see a method of food/water delivery while suited for space applications.

Quote:
Every iron man could have an m240 machine gun and 1000 rounds of ammo, plus an automatic grenade luancher or whatevsz.

have you ever seen 1000 rounds of ammo, thats a lot of space, and weight, for grenades automatic is not the way to go in this case-something more along the line of the xm-25 punisher or the m203, maybe something guided would be more applicable to this scale

Quote:
If you add anti-tank missiles, small enough for infantry, but now that you're able to carry around like it's nothing? You can actually have an effective unit.

anti tank missiles take up a lot of space, and they are heavy as hell-if you wanted to go that route you would have to readjust your entire ammunition dispersal.

This idea isn't a "if i had a billion dollars, i'd do it this way..."

this is "i live next to a junkyard, so lets put this stuff together and see if it will fly"

Interesting Genius

If your going to have all these weapons and technology in the suit, why not make a mech.

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
xXGabrealXx
If your going to have all these weapons and technology in the suit, why not make a mech.

too big too bulky at that point i would just go a little farther and make a space ship

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff