Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hygienic Humorist

8,800 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
the energy iron man carries in his chest can be compared to the energy of the sun give it another 1000 years maybe then yes but for now we cant even keep a cellphone going without charging it everyday
The obvious problem is in creating a system, both in software and hardware that enables hypersensitive hydraulics that wouldn't add too much bulk to the human frame, to support the weight of the suit in a manner that allows agility. Hydraulics/Pneumatics, cooling systems and sensory inputs would make it pretty hard to do. And obviously energy sources.

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
N3bu
The obvious problem is in creating a system, both in software and hardware that enables hypersensitive hydraulics that wouldn't add too much bulk to the human frame, to support the weight of the suit in a manner that allows agility. Hydraulics/Pneumatics, cooling systems and sensory inputs would make it pretty hard to do. And obviously energy sources.
This is not necessarily true if you limit flight time/speeds, equipment/systems, and stress for minimum weights.

for example- the flying squirrel parachute suits. yes the mechanics are significantly different-however it does point towards the notion that the body can be used to steer.

also- the rocketpack used to cross the english channel was able to sustain flight for a significant distance. If we just took that technology, which isnt that advanced, and added a few items we would easily be at the first bench mark of initiating and terminating flight from the ground to the ground in a controlled manner.

if you research the robotic iron man suits that were on display at comic-con you will notice the aelorons (i have no idea how to spell it and spell check is failing me) on the back, only these will need hydraulics and even that would weigh at most maybe 10 pounds total ... ish

cooling systems yes are problematic i would suggest a florinert (not the name of the compound but its commercial title) pump combined with a fine channel radiator, this may not be practical and will need to be flight tested for endurance purposes.

Energy sources need not be nuclear

i say again

ENERGY SOURCES NEED NOT BE NUCLEAR

yes i am aware of the fictitious arc reactor. no one i know of or have heard of is possible capable at this point in time to fabricate such a device

WE DONT NEED AN ARC REACTOR

just imagination ingenuity and innovation.

the range for flight are not going to be any where near that of the portrayed machine as seen in the movies however, it is completely reasonable to fathom that we can conceive the principles of knowledge and process to bring something as close to the original as possible with our current understanding of technology

no nukes- we use liquid fuel- armor for now is for crash protection, not bullets-on board computer weighing no more than 10 pounds, with communication to larger off board computer-heads up display- full mobility-flight direction assistance, wings are optional, as are the back thingies

Fanatical Zealot

You could maybe use a single uranium fuel rod with liquid salt or maybe even use a tiny CANDU reactor, if you're lucky, but power will still be scarce.

Not really enough to charge particles and get you to fly.

Fanatical Zealot

What you really need to focus on flight since that's the hardest thing to achieve, and the energy source, which is necessary for flight.

They do in fact have exoskeletons, that maybe can carry a few hundred pounds or so, so that could carry around a huge jetpack and some body armor but.

Enough to stop a 40mm armor piercing grenade, or a .50 cal armor piercing round or something, would need to be the equivalent of 2 inches of hardened armor fit cold rolled homogenous steel, which, if you used steel, would be somewhere along the lines of 1750 pounds, way more than current exoskeletons or jetpacks can lift.

So, you'd need three things that don't really exist.

Small, incredibly powerful power sources, ridiculously powerful jet packs, and personal body armor that's really light weight. Current Kevlar vests at 16 pounds can't stop a rifle round. Cop vests can barely stop pistol rounds.

U.S. army helmets used to be pierced by 9mm, common handgun rounds, until recently.

Without something drastic it might not work.

Power could be achievable with a sterling radiostopic pultonium/americurium-238 engine, which has a long life and produces substantial power, and is used in satellites in stuff. They're mostly safe, since they're only weakly radioactive and need mild shielding, and plutonium-238 produces alpha particles, so you could theoretically hold it in your hand without much radiation issues. They're better than RTG's, since you're average RTG is about 3% efficient, and your average sterling engine is like 20-30%.

Better yet using a single, really hot uranium fuel rod, and liquid salt, you could theoretically contain the heat in a series of relatively thick tubes, that could be 200 times smaller than water based tubes, positioned around the suit, that could in theory provide power.

As for a jet pack, idk.

If you could maybe charge rocket fuel of some kind you could use a tiny amount to fly great distances but you'd still need wings of some sort. Idk how it would work. They're still fundamental challenges faced by the military and science today.

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Suicidesoldier#1
What you really need to focus on flight since that's the hardest thing to achieve, and the energy source, which is necessary for flight.

They do in fact have exoskeletons, that maybe can carry a few hundred pounds or so, so that could carry around a huge jetpack and some body armor but.

Enough to stop a 40mm armor piercing grenade, or a .50 cal armor piercing round or something, would need to be the equivalent of 2 inches of hardened armor fit cold rolled homogenous steel, which, if you used steel, would be somewhere along the lines of 1750 pounds, way more than current exoskeletons or jetpacks can lift.

Small, incredibly powerful power sources, ridiculously powerful jet packs, and personal body armor that's really light weight. Current Kevlar vests at 16 pounds can't stop a rifle round. Cop vests can barely stop pistol rounds.

U.S. army helmets used to be pierced by 9mm, common handgun rounds, until recently.

Power could be achievable with a sterling radiostopic pultonium/americurium-238 engine, which has a long life and produces substantial power, and is used in satellites in stuff. They're mostly safe, since they're only weakly radioactive and need mild shielding, and plutonium-238 produces alpha particles, so you could theoretically hold it in your hand without much radiation issues. They're better than RTG's, since you're average RTG is about 3% efficient, and your average sterling engine is like 20-30%.

Better yet using a single, really hot uranium fuel rod, and liquid salt, you could theoretically contain the heat in a series of relatively thick tubes, that could be 200 times smaller than water based tubes, positioned around the suit, that could in theory provide power.

As for a jet pack, idk.

If you could maybe charge rocket fuel of some kind you could use a tiny amount to fly great distances but you'd still need wings of some sort. Idk how it would work. They're still fundamental challenges faced by the military and science today.

Please re-read first post on energy sources i have made a rather large font-ed update.

Please re-read my last post on using armor primarily for crash protection from the outset.

Please re-read my previous post on a progression of technology and not expecting a success with a single build.

Please actually check my sources and subsequent links before asserting that technology I have stated to exist, does not in fact exist.

If you are speaking of a nuclear fission based propulsion system, yes they are the most powerful and efficient that we have created. However, Those projects were discontinued for a number of reasons: financial cost, shielding concerns, and for the terror that nuclear technology carried around like nasty baggage. I would love to see something like that go forward but then, please re-read my first post as to why that is not possible.

On your last point my degree was not in thermodynamics nor mechanical engineering so I recognize that this is not a professional opinion. That being said, there are no feasible means by which it is possible to contain heat indefinably, considering your source, and that any attempt to do so by conventional means would (by weight alone, among other reasons) render your suit incapable for flight.

If you have done all of the above, it is possible that we may come to some sort of understanding.

Fanatical Zealot

mace_of_knowledge
Suicidesoldier#1

As for a jet pack, idk.

Please re-read first post on energy sources i have made a rather large font-ed update.

Please re-read my last post on using armor primarily for crash protection from the outset.

Please re-read my previous post on a progression of technology and not expecting a success with a single build.

Please actually check my sources and subsequent links before asserting that technology I have stated to exist, does not in fact exist.

If you are speaking of a nuclear fission based propulsion system, yes they are the most powerful and efficient that we have created. However, Those projects were discontinued for a number of reasons: financial cost, shielding concerns, and for the terror that nuclear technology carried around like nasty baggage. I would love to see something like that go forward but then, please re-read my first post as to why that is not possible.

On your last point my degree was not in thermodynamics nor mechanical engineering so I recognize that this is not a professional opinion. That being said, there are no feasible means by which it is possible to contain heat indefinably, considering your source, and that any attempt to do so by conventional means would (by weight alone, among other reasons) render your suit incapable for flight.

If you have done all of the above, it is possible that we may come to some sort of understanding.

I'm talking something to power something along the lines of the exo-skeleton.

One kilogram of uranium has the equivalent energy of about 3 million kilograms of coal, or 1.5 million of gasoline. Since molten salt designs don't expand as much as water, they aren't as dangerous under higher heats and stuff; U-235 can be pretty safe if handled properly and the only real problem is when a design overheats and explodes; because the worst case scenario with a molten salt design is primarily leaking, it's significantly safer.

By running it through tubes over the suit, it would be possible to circulate the liquid salt, just as water is, and spin a turbine or some other heat powered device. Even if at 1% efficiency, it would still have 15,000 times the power of gasoline pound for pound.

Flight not be a real option but a few kilos of uranium would likely be fine.

Also, I'm not suggesting that you think they exist, I'm merely pointing out problems. xp

That being said, with ALON, you could theoretically have good enough armor to stop .50 caliber rounds, and with a radiostopic sterling engine you could have quite a bit of power. ALON, at around 2-5mm, could stop armor piercing .50 caliber rounds, for about 30-75 pounds, to cover an entire human body. More or less given segmenting plates and general sheets that don't have to cover every nook and cranny. This would be 10's of thousands of dollars but, that's fairly affordable.

The sterling radiostopic engine, A current design, the Advanced Stirling Radioisotope Generator (ASRG), is based on a 55-watt electric converter. The thermal power source for this system is the General Purpose Heat Source (GPHS). Each GPHS contains four iridium-clad Pu-238 fuel pellets, stands 5 cm tall, 10 cm square and weighs 1.44 kg. The hot end of the Stirling converter reaches 650°C and heated helium drives a free piston reciprocating in a linear alternator, heat being rejected at the cold end of the engine. The AC is then converted to 55 watts DC. Thus each ASRG unit utilizes two Stirling converter units with about 500 watts of thermal power supplied by two GPHS units and delivers 100-120 watts of electric power.

Conceivably, with more units, you could have more power. Since radiostopic sterling engines are relatively safe and used in satellites, producing 80% power for 20 years, with say plutonium-238, which produces mild radiation that can't get through the skin, simple lead shielding and other things makes it relatively safe. Americium lasts four times longer but also requires four times the amount, in terms of mass, to operate. It also is somewhat more dangerous than plutonium-238.

Anyways, I'm just tossing around ideas.

Since this could serve as a decent long term power storage that would be under a million dollars, you could mix it with the rest of your gear and it would be pretty awesome. It could power an exo-skeleton, if powerful enough. Considering stuff like the HULC system and the XOS 2, all it would really need is to be scaled up. Using technology to monitor movements, like the HAL suit, you could theoretically just your movements to direct a more powerful exoskeleton, having nerve sensing stuff and whatnot. Being able to carry around a few hundred, maybe a few thousand pounds at best. It would only be a few million dollars.

Couldn't fly but it would be a supah suit.

Theoretically possible with off the shelf technology. A computer system could simply be a highly efficient germanium silicon + gold processor and information storage thingy, which I mean iphones use gold all the time. So that's not so hard in and of itself. Your best idea would be to have some sort of long range transport vehicle, like a cargo plane, and then drop these guys into combat. Instead of using parachutes, which have ridiculously high failure rates, and even at best have you landing at the equivalent of falling off a two story building on impact, you could maybe glide in on landing, with some kind of small plane or something. Would make decent paratroopers; at best, they could fly back on the cargo ship when needed, so they didn't have to make tents and sleep in a combat zone.

Idk.

But again, these are just my suggestions. An iron man suit would be cool but is somewhat impractical on a lot of ways, but a suit of armor would be awesome. ninja

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Wireless power transmission. It's the only way to get that much power to a suit without an on-board generating apparatus. If you use Hertzian waves, your very limited on range (several feet). There is another wave however that does not have such limitations.....

I recommend a 1/2 or 1/3 scale Mobile Suit. Plenty of room for fuel, power plant, ammo, armor, etc. The Iron Man suit is way too small to be physically possible. A .50 would blow a hole right through my anvil. The armor needed to stop such a large round would be several inches thick of some high tensile, high hardness steel. I love anime, but physics says if you hit something with an M1 Abrams round, it's not going to look the same after.
you need to get away from the flight thing and focus on the energy weapon system, because it's going to solve your energy requirements and your flight problems simultaneously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_propulsion

more specifically, whatever energy source you obtain to fire a beam destructive enough to be weaponized, is also going to be powerful enough to create a 'skittering' pulse of shock waves in the form of a plasma vented thrust. Right now you aren't going to be able to get a single beam beyond 20,000 mW and you will need at least 20-100 of those for weaponization through a focused cluster, however, the amount of heat they generate will be a new problem you will have to solve through porous filament systems rapidly dissipating heat, probably in conjunction with a thermoelectric conductor which itself will require additional power. You can use gold as a long term heat sink, but copper is more affordable. Silver isn't a bad heat sink. But each of those optical emitters is going to be about 12 grand, so you are looking at an investment similar to a Ferrari before you even begin to get to refine things down to something functional. Sounds like a pipe dream to me.

Fanatical Zealot

Wait, you're talking about making one from scrap? O_o

"Tony Stark built this in a cave! From a box of scraps!"

Nuclear power is used by the government so like...?

Wouldn't that be where the power source comes from?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff