Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Genius

True, hmm so you`r going for something more like War machine?
xXGabrealXx
If your going to have all these weapons and technology in the suit, why not make a mech.

The role a Mech would fill is already filled by the modern tank.
An smaller armored exoskeleton however would be pretty handy for urban environments (kind like the idea behind the MAX suit from PS2).

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
xXGabrealXx
True, hmm so you`r going for something more like War machine?

well i dont have a hole in my chest so yes

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Disconsented
xXGabrealXx
If your going to have all these weapons and technology in the suit, why not make a mech.

An smaller armored exoskeleton however would be pretty handy for urban environments (kind like the idea behind the MAX suit from PS2).

in addition you have the old form of soldier in the shocktroops which can be made relevant and applicable again-something like halo spartans.

again no intent to carry out, further, or incite, harm. what this is intended to produce is a suit of armor with added capabilities. consider a full ballistic suit merged with a jet pack and a smartphone.
mace_of_knowledge
Disconsented
xXGabrealXx

in addition you have the old form of soldier in the shocktroops which can be made relevant and applicable again-something like halo spartans.

again no intent to carry out, further, or incite, harm. what this is intended to produce is a suit of armor with added capabilities. consider a full ballistic suit merged with a jet pack and a smartphone.

Currently a jet pack is unrealistic or anything similar to Mjlinar Armour falls under that category (Read: The spartan development process). I said like a MAX suit for a reason because it is closer to being fringe science than science fiction. Albeit the weapons would not be like they are featured in Planetside.

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Disconsented
mace_of_knowledge
Disconsented
xXGabrealXx

Currently a jet pack is unrealistic or anything similar to Mjlinar Armour falls under that category (Read: The spartan development process). I said like a MAX suit for a reason because it is closer to being fringe science than science fiction. Albeit the weapons would not be like they are featured in Planetside.

fringe science is not required for this project, I have witnessed a jetplane the size of a 1950's vw bug fly just fine. yes it was for just a short time. But still the technology is there we just need to make it smaller and update it with the knowledge that we have gained. if innovations result durring its manufacture-yAy-however this need not happen to be considered a success

my best linnk

my second best link

My point with these links is that the size of an "aircraft" (so to speak) need not be dictated by commercial standards. I mean just LOOK at how small these things are and look at the empty space of the cockpit. Conceptually and practically there is little stopping one from eliminating unused space and redesigning the fuselage into an iron man LIKE contraption. and again the wings are present so we are not completely true to the aesthetic design, however one step at a time.
mace_of_knowledge
Disconsented
mace_of_knowledge
Disconsented
xXGabrealXx

fringe science is not required for this project, I have witnessed a jetplane the size of a 1950's vw bug fly just fine. yes it was for just a short time. But still the technology is there we just need to make it smaller and update it with the knowledge that we have gained. if innovations result durring its manufacture-yAy-however this need not happen to be considered a success

my best linnk

my second best link

My point with these links is that the size of an "aircraft" (so to speak) need not be dictated by commercial standards. I mean just LOOK at how small these things are and look at the empty space of the cockpit. Conceptually and practically there is little stopping one from eliminating unused space and redesigning the fuselage into an iron man LIKE contraption. and again the wings are present so we are not completely true to the aesthetic design, however one step at a time.

They are aircraft and as such are made from very light materials that provide minimal protection. Now look at something like the Martin Jet Pack. At this point in time a jetpack is unrealistic until somebody can create a better propulsion method.

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Disconsented
mace_of_knowledge
Disconsented
mace_of_knowledge
Disconsented
xXGabrealXx

my best linnk

my second best link

They are aircraft and as such are made from very light materials that provide minimal protection. Now look at something like the Martin Jet Pack. At this point in time a jetpack is unrealistic until somebody can create a better propulsion method.

To stretch the limits of commercially available technology i would stress two of these mounted on the back of the armor, a custom ramjet would need to be designed around the jets, shut off valves would have to be included to cut down on drag (think a sliding door on a super market) and of course for rapid course correction you would need a set of rockets on each limb. for the time being a set of wings will be necessary for fuel storage however the must have the capability of being jettisoned for emergencies, a secondary tank will have to provide 10 seconds of fuel for evasive maneuvering, lastly a parachute is a definite.
mace_of_knowledge
Disconsented
mace_of_knowledge
Disconsented
mace_of_knowledge

my best linnk

my second best link

To stretch the limits of commercially available technology i would stress two of these mounted on the back of the armor, a custom ramjet would need to be designed around the jets, shut off valves would have to be included to cut down on drag (think a sliding door on a super market) and of course for rapid course correction you would need a set of rockets on each limb. for the time being a set of wings will be necessary for fuel storage however the must have the capability of being jettisoned for emergencies, a secondary tank will have to provide 10 seconds of fuel for evasive maneuvering, lastly a parachute is a definite.

Wings are going to add dramatically to the size of the exoskeleton (abbreviating to exo now). Problems with wings:

• Larger Target
  • Added Weight
  • Combat Risk

Problems with fuel

• Added Weight from the fuel itself and the reinforcing to make it safe
  • Increased risk in combat

Problem with RAMjet:

• Requires a decent speed to be able to be used.
  • Requires a supplementary engine
  • Added weight
  • Added size
  • Produces heat

Problem with Gas Turbine:

• Added weight & size
  • They have a spin up period limiting their use
  • Noise
  • Rather inefficient at idle
  • Produces heat

Problem with rockers:

• Dangerous, especially in combat
  • Added size and Weight
  • Difficult to control effectively
  • Produces heat

Then you actually have to be able to get them in a small enough size whilst being able to provide enough power to be able to move the Exo. at any reasonable speed or distance. Then there comes the problem of controlling it (as well as flight stability). Ailerons and flaps aren't gonna cut it because they are useless without airflow. The closes thing you are going to find is the Martin Jetpack but:

• It's unarmored
  • Big
  • Low carry capacity

It is idiotic to attempt what you have suggested. It would also be dangerous to the user.
the problems include power source, inability to project effective energy weapons, inability to sustain prolonged flight, inability to compensate for G forces, inability to protect pilot from high velocity impacts... the list is astounding. CNT shells and Paper batteries would be a good start, but TECs for cooling would require radically different structures. You could also use aerogel as your core insulation but none of these products are really at commercial availability. I assume in the near future a plasticized CNT 3D printer will be possible, but not this decade.
Michael Noire
the problems include power source, inability to project effective energy weapons, inability to sustain prolonged flight, inability to compensate for G forces, inability to protect pilot from high velocity impacts... the list is astounding. CNT shells and Paper batteries would be a good start, but TECs for cooling would require radically different structures. You could also use aerogel as your core insulation but none of these products are really at commercial availability. I assume in the near future a plasticized CNT 3D printer will be possible, but not this decade.

Why do you need Energy Weapons?

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Disconsented
mace_of_knowledge
Disconsented
mace_of_knowledge
Disconsented
mace_of_knowledge

my best linnk

my second best link

Wings are going to add dramatically to the size of the exoskeleton (abbreviating to exo now). Problems with wings:

• Larger Target
  • Added Weight
  • Combat Risk

Problems with fuel

• Added Weight from the fuel itself and the reinforcing to make it safe
  • Increased risk in combat

Problem with RAMjet:

• Requires a decent speed to be able to be used.
  • Requires a supplementary engine
  • Added weight
  • Added size
  • Produces heat

Problem with Gas Turbine:

• Added weight & size
  • They have a spin up period limiting their use
  • Noise
  • Rather inefficient at idle
  • Produces heat

Problem with rockers:

• Dangerous, especially in combat
  • Added size and Weight
  • Difficult to control effectively
  • Produces heat

Then you actually have to be able to get them in a small enough size whilst being able to provide enough power to be able to move the Exo. at any reasonable speed or distance. Then there comes the problem of controlling it (as well as flight stability). Ailerons and flaps aren't gonna cut it because they are useless without airflow. The closes thing you are going to find is the Martin Jetpack but:

• It's unarmored
  • Big
  • Low carry capacity

It is idiotic to attempt what you have suggested. It would also be dangerous to the user.

so are cars, airplanes, submarines, trains, snowboards, surfing, parajumping, rollercoasters, and training for the olympics-if you expect to have a final product in a week.

there is a disconnect here and i direct you to copenhagan suborbitals whose goal it has been for the past few years to send humans to the brink of space and return them safely.

have they done it ... no...

are they closer than when they started hellz yes

have they become more sophisticated with their designs and is their end goal more plausible and feasible than when they first started...again hellz yes

go back fifty years and tell a scientist that people in the future will be carrying computers everywhere they go and he would say "they'll throw their backs out!" their computers weighed easily 30 pounds at the most advanced.

dont jump to the end, start small start simple and grow your ideas from there

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Michael Noire
remove the energy weapons, and focus on sustaining flight for a short time. for a beginning the only thing we need is a short flight. from there we can assess what mass we can eliminate and what technologies we can begin slowly incorporating. you dont build a house by starting with the roof. the foundation is flight!
mace_of_knowledge

Quote:
so are cars, airplanes, submarines, trains, snowboards, surfing, parajumping, rollercoasters, and training for the olympics-if you expect to have a final product in a week.

You misunderstand what I have said. Cars and the like are dangerous if people decide to be idiots with them and further more what I am talking about is COMBAT related this isn't something for civilian matters.

Quote:
there is a disconnect here and i direct you to copenhagan suborbitals whose goal it has been for the past few years to send humans to the brink of space and return them safely.

have they become more sophisticated with their designs and is their end goal more plausible and feasible than when they first started...again hellz yes

Space flight is a whole different ball game in comparison to aeronautics let alone trying to propel a armored exoskeleton safely and to any useful distance or speed.

Quote:
go back fifty years and tell a scientist that people in the future will be carrying computers everywhere they go and he would say "they'll throw their backs out!" their computers weighed easily 30 pounds at the most advanced.

Oh the irony in this.

Magnetic Genius

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Disconsented
mace_of_knowledge

Quote:

You misunderstand what I have said. Cars and the like are dangerous if people decide to be idiots with them and further more what I am talking about is COMBAT related this isn't something for civilian matters.

Quote:

Space flight is a whole different ball game in comparison to aeronautics let alone trying to propel a armored exoskeleton safely and to any useful distance or speed.

Quote:

Oh the irony in this.

I have stated on several occasions this project is not intended for combat, not in any conceivable future anyways. I am in the military and the amount of imagination i see on a daily basis can be found in the cracks on the floor where it was stamped out-only civilians will actually try this BECAUSE IT IS FUN if nothing else.

I am glad (that i perceive you to) agree with me that there are harder things to do than this.

Please explain your observed irony, as i am exhausted from work to notice it myself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff