SeauxLeauxHeaux's Girlfriend

O.G. Player

10,475 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Mark Twain 100
I really want to run.
REALLY badly.
I've tried on multiple occasions but I get killer shin splits every time.
I'm not going at a crazy accelerated pace and I stay at a balanced speed.
I can go about two laps around a standard track before the pain hits.
I've tried wrapping and different types of shoes but I'm running out of ideas.
What can I do?

5,675 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
What kind of shoes are you using? Those shoes with the toes and all that are harder to run in than a standard pair of running shoes. Hydration and proper stretching is also important. You could try power walking laps and working your way up to running as well

SeauxLeauxHeaux's Girlfriend

O.G. Player

10,475 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Mark Twain 100
xXC-SickXx
What kind of shoes are you using? Those shoes with the toes and all that are harder to run in than a standard pair of running shoes. Hydration and proper stretching is also important. You could try power walking laps and working your way up to running as well

I have standard running shoes and I stretch extensively. The last option sounds most promising.

Assimilated Survivor

My boyfriend has the same problem. I guess sole inserts would help him a lot but he needs the real expensive kind so he doesn't have them. But you could look into inserts and see if that is a solution
If changing your shoes and stretching doesn't help, then when you get them do an ice massage on them. Freeze water in disposable cups, tear the outer layer off so some ice shows and you have enough to hold on to. Next rub your shins up and down with the ice until a little after it goes numb.

Aged Capitalist

I agree with PP, new shoes and stretching. Have you ever gone to a running store that actually watches you run? They will be able to fit you in shoes that is best for your body type. Places that do that near me are Boulder Running Company and the Runners Roost (just a few names, maybe you can search if you have any in your area)
Maybe you aren't quite yet ready to run? Have you at least been walking a lot, or staying on your feet all day? Maybe it is time to drop it down a notch and start walking for an hour a day and slowly incorporate running into your routine.
I often hear people get shin splints because they are pushing themselves too hard.
I used to get nasty shin splints, I'd be limping for days. I wasn't wearing proper shoes and wasn't stretching properly.

Sorry if that doesn't help, it's just from my personal experiences.

Dapper Fatcat

9,250 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
How is your arch in your foot? Ive had shin splints on multiple occasions to the point where I was limping around school. Turned out that I dont have real good arches in my feet so I just needed to get some arch inserts. If you have the money, that could be an easy solution. Other than that, working your way up to running is a good idea as the first poster said, and doing as many toe raises as you can handle through the day, not just when you work out.

Familiar Explorer

I use to get terrible shin splints in high school because I had low arches. I ordered specialized shoes from eastbay.com which solved my problem after a couple days off and icing my shins every day. I never get shin splints anymore, despite having terribly worn down shoes and running on bad terrain.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff