Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wealthy Entrepreneur

Over the last few weeks I've started running, a mile a few times a week. But I've noticed some things that do worry me, and that make running harder.

Keep in mind I am 220lbs and carry the majority of my weight in the abdomen/hip area.

My feet, when standing straight forward, tend to point outwards, it's always been this way for as long as I can remember, and makes running on a treadmill difficult.

Also, my ankle on my left side is awkward, and leans inward in a way that makes it extremely painful after about 20mins.

Constantly getting leg cramps?

And what are your running challenges?

Best running shoes?

Invisible Gekko

hey okay, i'm still running in high school so my tips are pretty mediocre sweatdrop
how are your foot arches? i have flat feet and so i bought some arch supports and now i practically can't run without their support. i don't know that might be something.
and cramps are usually random for me but there are different things that can help strengthen your ankle like moving your foot to spell out letters of the alphabet.
i hope that helped at least a little bit!! emotion_yatta

Fatcat

14,440 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Object of Affection 150
remember to stretch EVERYWHERE, because when running, you're using your whole body. Leg cramps, you can also stretch those out by going into a plank position and use one leg to push down the other foot. (if theres no pain, you're not doing it right).

as for shoes, lots of brand name shoes like nike and Adidas seem like they're meant for running, but only get the shoes that you can bend like this. My coach use to get so angry at us kids who don't have these types of shoes :/
shoes don't have to be fancy, as long as they bend... (:

GL with your running!

Shadowy Hunter

4,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Tipsy 100
MorningTech
Over the last few weeks I've started running, a mile a few times a week. But I've noticed some things that do worry me, and that make running harder.

Keep in mind I am 220lbs and carry the majority of my weight in the abdomen/hip area.

My feet, when standing straight forward, tend to point outwards, it's always been this way for as long as I can remember, and makes running on a treadmill difficult.

Also, my ankle on my left side is awkward, and leans inward in a way that makes it extremely painful after about 20mins.

Best running shoes?

I good way to easy into running is to beginning with walking. Walking will help strengthen muscles as well as help with the beginning weight lose which will then help you run easier. Walking, if you increase it to a brisk pace will also help strengthen your lungs as well. But I would recommend walking for 15 mins, and increasing that by maybe another 10 - 15 minutes every 3 - 5 days. Work slowly into it. After you have worked up to walking comfortably for an hour or more, slowly add running into the mix. So walk for 5 minutes and run for 1 - 2 minutes and then walk for another 5. do this 3 times in the duration of your walk run. Slowly you can reduce the walk time and increase your running time. But, I have knee and ankle problems and this has helped me.

There is no shame is going slow and working your way into it. I learned that the hard way. I hurt myself more trying to prove stuff to everyone else, but in the end the only thing that matters is you and how you feel. Not what anyone else thinks. smile Also, running on a treadmill does not always work all the muscles you would get from actually running on pavement or a in or outdoor track. Good luck. I hope this helps.
When it comes to your feet it is not so much about which way your toes point as much as your knees. Pay attention to them and proper form will eventually become a habit. Also try running outside or on a track if you get the chance, this was easier on my legs when I firststarted running. If you are on the treadmill make sure you have an incline of at least 1 otherwise you are bouncing up and down rather than running. Congrats on your decision to start running!

Feral Phantom

Bear in mind that if running turns out to be just too painful for you... don't do it. It's impossible to stick to an exercise regimen that makes you miserable. An alternative to consider (if running doesn't work) is swimming, which is much easier on the feet and joints.

In terms of running advice, I'm a big fan of Couch to 5K. If you have a smartphone, a great way to do it is to download a running app (there's loads of free ones) which will coach you through the program. It's quite important to incorporate a LOT of walking when you're first entering into a running program, and a C25K schedule will ease you into it with enough time for your body to adjust.

Enduring Victory

9,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Millionaire 200
Start slow and easy. Make sure you have the shoes that will give the support you need. If you don't know which will be best suited for you, find a local running store. They might have a group run day. You can make friends who can cheer you on.

Enduring Victory

9,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Millionaire 200
Also do not feel bad if you have to stop every 5 minutes to walk. Listen to your body. Pain or trouble breathing or maintaining good for usually means to slow down or stop.

Popular Sophomore

13,725 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Athlete 50
Keep an even cadence throughout. Not too slow so you cramp but not so fast your tire yourself quickly. Lean forward slightly and keep your knees bent at 45 degrees at all times. This ensures you don't over step. When you over step you're more likely to hurt your ankles and pull a muscle. Avoid heel striking, running on your heels. This is something alot of runners do and they wind up with many injuries. Land mid-foot and push off the balls of your feet. This creates a slight bounce in your run and helps absorb shock.
Do you live near a beach?
Your body and joints aren't used to so much impact and you're still getting used to it in general. It will hurt.
If you're going for weight loss you're going to need to do more than just run.
It's a solid start though.

I'd try a slow jog or a fast walk for a week or two, uild your body up to this.

Make sure though you commit to it fully.

And stretch. Then stretch some more. After that, stretch again.

Sparkly Hunter

5,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
MorningTech

Best running shoes?

Step one: GET GOOD SHOES. Find a speciality store and go have them look at your feets and get you good shoes. Gary Gribble's is where I go to get my feet fitted for shoes. They look at how you stand and how you walk and then give you shoes. I've gon in several times in my decade of running and once had a girl tell me she knew exactly what shoes I needed just by how I was standing. If you don't have a GG store near you then find one. Your shoes are your most important accesory!

Step 2; Try runnign outside. Lots of people say running on the treadmill is bad. I find it boring. Try running around your block or a local track. A track might help the best becuase it's a little squishier than concrete or a treadmill.

Step 3: STREATCH AND HYDRATE. You will prevent a ton of injuries if you stay hydrated and you stretch everyday. I would suggest doing yoga.

Step 4: Make sure you breathe! I'v ehad problems in the past where I'd forget to breathe and then have a huge cramp for more than half my run. It sucks. So make sure you do it!

Good luck on your running! And if you have any other questions let me know! I've been running for almost a decade so I have lots of advice! mrgreen

Dapper Noob

1,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I have recently started running myself. I use an app on my phone called C25K - 5k Trainer. It's pretty useful and helps you get into running over a span of 9 weeks.

http://c25kfree.com/

Enduring Victory

9,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Millionaire 200
Also another cool running app. Charity Miles will donate 20 cents to a charity for every mile you run or walk.

Enduring Victory

9,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Millionaire 200
Also Strava is a great site/app for motivation and connecting with other runners in your area or around the world.

Invisible Seeker

8,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Blue J Neko
remember to stretch EVERYWHERE, because when running, you're using your whole body. Leg cramps, you can also stretch those out by going into a plank position and use one leg to push down the other foot. (if theres no pain, you're not doing it right).

as for shoes, lots of brand name shoes like nike and Adidas seem like they're meant for running, but only get the shoes that you can bend like this. My coach use to get so angry at us kids who don't have these types of shoes :/
shoes don't have to be fancy, as long as they bend... (:

GL with your running!

That's a silly rule... I think as long as you get your shoes from a shop where people know what they're giving you they don't have to be that flexible. It all comes down to the way you run.

I run in Newtons since I'm a toe runner, but I'm pretty sure they can't bend like that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff