Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Seeker

So, I have one month to get myself back into shape for a 5k. I can run a mile at approx. 10min/mile, but after the first mile I tend to flag. The pace is not unreasonable, I think I just psych myself out. Any tips? smile

Mega Fatcat

What do you mean by flag? Do you just give up or is something else happening like knee pain, stomach pains, mentally can't take it anymore? If it's the last and you're doing everything else right (eating right, resting joints etc) then really just find a way to get yourself pumped to push past the first mile.

I'm a pretty good distance runner and every time I start a run my adrenalin rush doesn't kick in until after 1.5-2 miles. What I do is keep telling myself just another 0.5 mile, and that was what I told myself when I started running and what I tell myself now when I want to stop.

Also you could try training with someone else, having another person to motivate you or perhaps yell at you could be the kick in the pants you need smile

You can run A LOT A LOT further than 1 mile that's for sure. Tell yourself this is nothing, I could go for a 5k TODAY and just keep going. Even when thinking I want to quit just keep moving your legs. You gotta push yourself and prove to yourself that you are capable of WAAAY more than you believe. The mind always gives up before the body.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff