Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am new to running. To motivate myself, I am looking to register for a 5k. How many weeks in advance should I look for a 5k so I have enough time to train assuming I have only two weeks experience under my belt and that I have a low level of fitness.

Shameless Loiterer

9,300 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
Well, generally cross country practice begins about a month before our first race. So a month, I'd say. In case you want a schedule to stick to, our practice schedule went as follows:

Monday - Long Run, timed. Generally run wherever for 30 minutes to start, and increase time each week.
Tuesday- Tempo day. Time yourself for about five minutes and run at about 80%. Not a sprint, but above what you'd probably consider race pace. Do this about three times with breaks in between.
Wednesday - Interval day. Same thing, but do this as a time ladder. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, minutes and back down type deal.
Thursday - Ladder day. If you have a track, one run lap hard. Then two. Then three. Then four, then back down.
Friday- timed run, easy pace.
Weekend - Do a hard workout on Saturday, then do an easier workout on Sunday.

Also, be sure to try core workouts since that seriously helps your running. Weight training doesn't hurt, either.

Sukuya's Partner

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
if you have an iPhone, go for apps that have you do TIMED run-walk intervals.
Granted those things have about 6-8 week training periods but a month is the minimum.
Most important is to pace yourself.

Shirtless Hellraiser

16,625 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Heya!

When I started running, I did something called the "couch to 5K" program. I found it here: Couch to 5K Plan

Now, I know am not the best runner here, but this program has been immensely helpful for me. I hope it is helpful for you as well! biggrin

- Sisky
siskataya
Heya!

When I started running, I did something called the "couch to 5K" program. I found it here: Couch to 5K Plan

Now, I know am not the best runner here, but this program has been immensely helpful for me. I hope it is helpful for you as well! biggrin

- Sisky

I'm actually using this program. I am in week 2. I am really excited. At first, I thought I would HATE running, but I find myself looking forward to workouts and feeling sad when they are over.
ErinTringa
Well, generally cross country practice begins about a month before our first race. So a month, I'd say. In case you want a schedule to stick to, our practice schedule went as follows:

Monday - Long Run, timed. Generally run wherever for 30 minutes to start, and increase time each week.
Tuesday- Tempo day. Time yourself for about five minutes and run at about 80%. Not a sprint, but above what you'd probably consider race pace. Do this about three times with breaks in between.
Wednesday - Interval day. Same thing, but do this as a time ladder. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, minutes and back down type deal.
Thursday - Ladder day. If you have a track, one run lap hard. Then two. Then three. Then four, then back down.
Friday- timed run, easy pace.
Weekend - Do a hard workout on Saturday, then do an easier workout on Sunday.

Also, be sure to try core workouts since that seriously helps your running. Weight training doesn't hurt, either.

Hey ErinTringa, what are core workouts?
Good luck with your race!

Site for races is active.com if your looking.

Nerd

Keep up with the couch to 5k program, I think it works pretty great(:

Id give at least a month and a half before entering a race. Minimum.

Shameless Loiterer

9,300 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
Path With Roses
Hey ErinTringa, what are core workouts?

Core workouts are exercises that strengthen the abdominal muscle group. You're probably familiar with sit-ups, planks, ect. Anything that strengthens abs, including the sides and lower. Here's a list of some core workouts with a dude demonstrating. They look goofy and are very hard to do at first, so don't get discouraged. When in doubt, stick with crunches.

Friendly Citizen

I'd say my number one advice would be to invest in a good pair of running shoes. I was running the other day and my feet were so uncomfortable in my old running shoes and now I'm suffering the consequences of ankle and joint pain. So yeah- definitely start small when you run- maybe run for 5 minutes, take a small break and run again after if you feel up to it or you can increase/double/maintain the time the next day. But try to increase the time a bit for each session that you run so that you'll increase stamina and leg strength.
Since you are new to this you are more than likely going to run a 5k for fun instead of for time. Just run a 5k until you no longer sweat when you run one. That's the best training advice I can give you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff