Welcome to Gaia! ::

I run my mile in 12 minutes, I need to get this down to 9 minutes. Any suggestions?

Friendly Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
    Run faster.

No, JK.

But do you slow down while you run? You need to be able to run consistently for a long period of time. One steady speed that isn't too tough
ssj shuya
    Run faster.

No, JK.

But do you slow down while you run? You need to be able to run consistently for a long period of time. One steady speed that isn't too tough

Sadly, yes. I'm also a smoker (which I know is the first step in improving my run time). Also, this will be in full turn out gear. Adding at least 60 pounds to my body weight.

Friendly Phantom

8,200 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
medic61310
ssj shuya
    Run faster.

No, JK.

Sadly, yes. I'm also a smoker (which I know is the first step in improving my run time). Also, this will be in full turn out gear. Adding at least 60 pounds to my body weight.
    Definitely stop smoking. o_o
ssj shuya
medic61310
ssj shuya
    Run faster.

No, JK.

Definitely stop smoking. o_o

I'm working on it. It's proved to be a lot more difficult then I had imagined.
I've always found that sprints are the best way to increase turnover speed in longer runs. Try doing one long sprint day 2-4 x 400-800m and one short day 6-12 x 50-200m. Try to make the times of the shorter distances (1/2, 1/4 miles) equal to the time you need to run them for a 9 minute mile. That comes out to a 4:30 1/2 mile, a 2:15 1/4 mile, and a roughly 1:07 200m. Also, if you're running the trial with your gear, you have to train with and get used to the additional weight. It's hard to focus on your time when you're uncomfortable/unfamiliar with your gear. Best of luck to you and I hope this helps!

Beloved Friend

5,850 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Flatterer 200
Hills and sprints. I hate doing them, but I think they work.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games