Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey guys I am trying to lose weight and I thought that running would probably be a good way of doing this aswell as my dieting. So I just wanted to know do you have any tips for a guy who has never been running before. Should I just go for it and see how long I can go for or is there a better way of going about it?
I became an accidental runner. I was doing the elliptical and didn't feel challenged anymore, so one day I got on the treadmill and ran a pretty slow pace (15:00) for about 8 minutes. I liked it, so I would just try to improve each run. Run longer, faster, or farther.

There are programs out there designed to get people into running, like couch to 5k. I know people who love it, but such a structured program didn't really suit me. I preferred to just listen to my body and push myself little by little. The best way to become a runner is to just get out there and do it.

Nerd

Dont push yourself too hard too fast. Pay attention to your body. Id start out jogging for 3 minutes, walk for 1, jog for 3, walk for 1, etc for maybe 20 minutes. See how that feels and adjust it to what you think you can handle. Then slowly escalate it as you get better - take 30 sec off the rest time and do more sets of jog/walk. This is how many people start out.

Devout Lover

14,600 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Start with just a quarter mile and build up.

Bashful Streaker

Start with a fast paced walk if you haven't done walking/running much lately.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff