Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eternal Phantom

Yeah so. I began running last Sunday.
Went two miles today.

Was longest I've ever gone.
Was very strenuous.
Was very painful.
Is still very painful.

Does anyone have tips on how to get rid of muscle soreness after a run?
I stretched already. crying
Rest up and eat. Take a hot bath to relax your muscles. Don't run every day either, give your body time to recover smile

Sparkly Hunter

5,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
I'm gonna have a lot of advice so prepare for a long post. First I want you to know I've been running for close to a decade and have done a few marathons.

Now soreness is caused from a build up of lactic acid, something your muscles produce when they're working. The soreness is going to be common and will last about a week. When you do a new distance you'll be a little sore, but not as bad as the first week. The first week is what I call "hell week". Everything is going to hurt and you aren't going to want to keep going. Get past the first week and you'll be fine. Coaches have always told me if you're sore the only way to get rid of the soreness is to do what made you sore again.

Train at least 5 days a week. I generally do short runs during the week, long runs on Saturdays, and take Sundays off. Some people will take Friday and do what we call cross training, which means you do something beside run. Yoga, swimming, biking, etc. You need to come up with a routine and since it sounds like you're new I suggest you start with something easy like this:
Monday run 1 mile. Tuesday run 2. Wednesday run 1/2 mile. Thursday run 1. Friday cross train. Saturday run 3. Repeat until running 3 miles is easy. I do suggest you start a training program. There are tons out there, you just need to search for them.

Make sure you're drinking lots of water and stretching. Stretching will help get the lactic acid out of your legs, but so will messages and cool showers. Hot showers will feel nice, but it's cold water that helps the most. Ice baths are something I used to take before a big run. It does help a lot and if you can stand it then do it.

If you have any questions, let me know! 3nodding

Ruthless Humorist

tiny poltergeist
Went two miles today.

Was very strenuous.
Was very painful.
Is still very painful.

Baby steps are important. Run 1/4 a mile for a week, then upgrade 1/4 a mile every other week. Stretch before and after you run. And after you have finished running, walk and do a cool down lap until your breath has leveled out to your normal rates. Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water after you finish. Do Not lie down the second you stop running. It will be a nightmare for your body to adjust.

Eternal Seeker

Albemy
Rest up and eat. Take a hot bath to relax your muscles. Don't run every day either, give your body time to recover smile

This, definitely

Dapper Drake

tiny poltergeist
Went two miles today.

Was very strenuous.
Was very painful.
Is still very painful.

If it's sever, try an ice bath.

Just a bucket of ice and your will to put your feet into it.

Helps a lot if you can endure it at first.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff