Welcome to Gaia! ::

Romantic Prophet

I'm just getting back into running after a year long hiatus. I've never run more than about 3miles and whenever I was running in the past it was always with my mum. (Best running partner ever. XD) Mum was quite good at setting us a good pace so we didn't run out of gas. I, on the other hand, run 'like a gazelle' and tended to wear myself out before we went any great distance.

I don't have a running partner in my new home. There's no one here I can run with and there's a language barrier stopping me from meeting other runners. So, I'm on my own right now. But, I need help with learning to pace myself so I don't run 200m and then fall over, exhausted, into a bush.

Does anyone have any tips for pacing? I read that using a metronome can actually help, but wanted to see if there were any other things I should try.

Edit; Thanks so much everyone for all the suggestions and comments! I've actually started listening to podcasts on my runs and I find that works better for me than music. My pacing seems to be fine now.

Thanks again and happy running!

Distinct Lunatic

LadyDelaidra
I'm just getting back into running after a year long hiatus. I've never run more than about 3miles and whenever I was running in the past it was always with my mum. (Best running partner ever. XD) Mum was quite good at setting us a good pace so we didn't run out of gas. I, on the other hand, run 'like a gazelle' and tended to wear myself out before we went any great distance.

I don't have a running partner in my new home. There's no one here I can run with and there's a language barrier stopping me from meeting other runners. So, I'm on my own right now. But, I need help with learning to pace myself so I don't run 200m and then fall over, exhausted, into a bush.

Does anyone have any tips for pacing? I read that using a metronome can actually help, but wanted to see if there were any other things I should try.
Alright so first thing is to listen to your breathing. Are you breathing real fast? Almost to the point of hyperventilation? Then you are going too fast. You also would notice other things such as when you are going the distance you feel a heavy sensation in your legs from the lactic acids setting in. That is when your body goes into oxygen debt. So don't do too quick of feet. My rule is if you can maintain a few word conversation while you are running, you are at a good pace. If you can maintain a convo with three sentences while running without breathing for air, you are going too slow. Now having a self conversation might not be the best way to measure. So I say go by how fast your breathing is. Another thing is to go by feel obviously. If you feel relaxed as you're running (no tightness in arms and no flailing about you are good).

Romantic Prophet

That all makes good sense. Thank you! heart

Benevolent Hunter

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Well first off you have to determine your pace based on what you know the limits of your endurance are, and how far you are running. For example, I can look by and see how fast I'm running as objects fly by me, and gauge how fast I am going, then compare that to what I know my stamina is. How fast will I tire if continue to run at this speed? Then I consider how far I am running. If I know I will have a hard time running that fast pace for a single mile, and I am running 3, I know that I must slow down quite a bit, or I will burn out.
One thing that I do that helps me set a good pace is breathing with my steps. In in out out for each step. So i take 4 steps in each breath. Its really hard to keep it to a monotonic level when you are sprinting. Its a good tip for not getting breathless while running too. XD

Blessed Fairy

If listening to your breathing doesn't work for you, you can also try listening to music when you run. Something with a good, strong beat in the cadence you want to run at. Just make sure if you're running outside that you can still hear the traffic around you. smile

Invisible Vampire

9,450 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Overstocked 200
KitsuneHawk
One thing that I do that helps me set a good pace is breathing with my steps. In in out out for each step. So i take 4 steps in each breath. Its really hard to keep it to a monotonic level when you are sprinting. Its a good tip for not getting breathless while running too. XD

i train on my own n the breathing took me awhile to get down so now i know when to breath in n out when i run ^^

Shadowy Hunter

4,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Tipsy 100
LadyDelaidra

It depends on what your goal is sort of. If you are doing speed training then they recommend the hard running for about three to 6 paces. but if you want to go for a longer distance. .. and easy run is when you are still able to have a conversation with a partner, but you don't want to be able to sing old MacDonald. a tougher run is when you can only talk in small spurts, maybe 3 - 4 words. But I think part of knowing your pace is getting to know how far you can go and then pull back on the pace. Sometimes a slower paced song might be able to help that.

5,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Informer 100
You can use music instead of a metronome. :3 It's a bit more.. pleasant sounding. : P I don't even know how to get to a good pace. I kind of start running and after a track lap I end up with a good tempo where I can run a couple of miles. I guess it takes time to settle into it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff