Welcome to Gaia! ::

Progressive Panic
Insurance, doctor visits, apparel. My family can't afford it.

Edit: I'm not trying to whine or anything. Just putting my thoughts out there. Yes, I know running is free... any idiot can tell that. It takes a person with a brain to go further than just the running.

Find a beach and run on sand barefoot. Don't even need shoes...
DCVZ
Progressive Panic

Edit: I'm not trying to whine or anything. Just putting my thoughts out there. Yes, I know running is free... any idiot can tell that. It takes a person with a brain to go further than just the running.

Find a beach and run on sand barefoot. Don't even need shoes...

I actually really like this idea. I'll have to try that.
Jmart0193
Progressive Panic
Jmart0193
Progressive Panic
Haha! You're kidding, right? Cause if you're joking, I want to laugh with you, not at you (not trying to sound like a jerk).

I'm not exactly sure how to reply to this.
I was in Cross Country in High School. How much did it cost me? $10 for the shirt, and about $30 for a decent pair of shoes. I don't know why you are thinking it's so expensive.

Unfortunately, you are just seeing how things were for you and not anyone else. My Cross Country fee was about $235 overall just to get into the sport, not including clothes or shoes or anything like that. Really, the school rips people off, but hey it's not as if I can do anything about it I just want to run with the team.
That is why.
Zanwald
Progressive Panic
SpazzySpunky
Errr.. what.. It's free.

I should have been more specific. Running is free, true, but if I keep running with my injuries without getting them treated, I might never be able to run again. Think about it more than just running. No s**t it's free. But I'm on a cross country team which took 245 $ to get into alone, then I needed shoes and I needed a physical and I needed to visit the doctor from tearing a muscle in my calf and getting achelis tendonitis. Just... how do I say this... think.

Join the army. They fix you for FREEEEEEEEE!

I don't know anything about the army. I never really considered it and it was never of any interest to me.
Tranquil Fears
All you need is a pair of comfy shoes(not skater shoes) and some comfy clothing: Sports Bra (every female should have some) shorts or stretchy pants and a tank top or loose fitting t-shirt. Shoes, those you can pick up at Wal-Mart for 30 dollars and can wear them day to day, you don't need a 300 dollar pair of shoes to go for a run. As for races, those are if you want to, they are not mandatory. For me I enjoy running around my block, the park by my house or going on some trail runs close to my town. That doesn't cost me a penny and I love it. I don't race, I don't spend money, minus Gas and food.

You're very right. It's the races my school spends so much money on that is ruining me. But I don't have to run races, either, like you said. The season is almost over and I have to wait until my injury heals before I can run anyways so that problem is old news I guess.
Progressive Panic
Tranquil Fears
All you need is a pair of comfy shoes(not skater shoes) and some comfy clothing: Sports Bra (every female should have some) shorts or stretchy pants and a tank top or loose fitting t-shirt. Shoes, those you can pick up at Wal-Mart for 30 dollars and can wear them day to day, you don't need a 300 dollar pair of shoes to go for a run. As for races, those are if you want to, they are not mandatory. For me I enjoy running around my block, the park by my house or going on some trail runs close to my town. That doesn't cost me a penny and I love it. I don't race, I don't spend money, minus Gas and food.

You're very right. It's the races my school spends so much money on that is ruining me. But I don't have to run races, either, like you said. The season is almost over and I have to wait until my injury heals before I can run anyways so that problem is old news I guess.

What is you injury? (I'm a certified sports therapist and might be able to advise on how you can promote its healing.)
Sorry to hear your school charges so much to run XC sad

Magnetic Phantom

I don't understand why you have to be on a team in order to run.
You could just as well go running on your own and wouldn't have to spend anywhere near as much money.

Health insurance is something everybody should have anyway.
But as long as you don't overexert yourself and let any injuries heal properly, you shouldn't have to spend that much on doctor visits.

The only things you really need would be a sports bra, halfway decent shoes and some comfy clothes.

Dapper Lunatic

11,050 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • 50 Wins 150
Progressive Panic

You know, my best advice would be just to take it easy with running. ^^ Maybe instead of pushing yourself with your injuries to run in a team and having to spend the money, why not just talk to a few of your friends and get them to join a private team? Or, if all of your friends are already in a team, try training up some new runners. smile

And, if your injuries mandate that you have them dealt with by a doctor before you can run again, I would suggest perhaps taking up a different sort of sport...maybe swimming, bicycling, or weight-lifting (and no, lifting weights will NOT make you a he-man strongwoman smile , and if you want some good links that talk about weight-lifting for females, I can supply them).

All in all, I would say that running CAN be free, but it depends on how you do it and exactly how 'into' it you are. Anyways, I hope I at least helped encourage you. ^^

~#!
Welsh
Anjoulie
I don't understand why you have to be on a team in order to run.
You could just as well go running on your own and wouldn't have to spend anywhere near as much money.

Health insurance is something everybody should have anyway.
But as long as you don't overexert yourself and let any injuries heal properly, you shouldn't have to spend that much on doctor visits.

The only things you really need would be a sports bra, halfway decent shoes and some comfy clothes.

You don't need to understand. I like my team, I like the sport, I like the people and I like the rush of the race. And that's all I'll say because that's all I care about.
DCVZ
Progressive Panic
Tranquil Fears

What is you injury? (I'm a certified sports therapist and might be able to advise on how you can promote its healing.)

It was achilles tendonitis along with a torn muscle in my calf. But both are mostly healed now and I ran the best race I ever have yesterday, improving by 5 minutes and 12 seconds. biggrin

Magnetic Phantom

Progressive Panic
You don't need to understand. I like my team, I like the sport, I like the people and I like the rush of the race. And that's all I'll say because that's all I care about.
Ah, I see. I thought you were mainly talking about the sport itself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff