• Threadmaster 200
  • Partygoer 500
x

Timid Phantom

6,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The way I know how to get motivated for running is being on a team, or at least getting a group of friends together and running with them. I cant stay motivated to run without them.

Amorous Regular

2,950 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Clambake 200
  • First step to fame 200
I get motivated by thinking about the zombie apocalypse(I'm not joking, this is serious)...someone very important in my life once told me: "You never know when you're going to need to run ten miles". I think that alone is enough to motivate me to get out of my bed and go!!!

Find something that motivates(or scares) you.

IRL Codger

Have you talked with your parents about your feet doing that?

You may need to get custom fit shoes, and your running gait looked at.
Some people just don't like running. That's okay too.

On one hand, I love it but on the other, my running partner does nothing but b***h the entire time about how he's tired. I normally get a little bit of a high out of going. I get moody and nasty to be around if I don't. I normally don't have to shove myself out the door.

But on the days that I am a little bit down, I just tell myself that I'd feel better going than if I didn't. Sometimes I make it a game or take new routes/ trails to keep it fresh and more interesting. If I run the same route every day, I get very bored and lack motivation to go because I've "seen everything." Maybe a change in scenery is all you need?
Ragnheir
I get motivated by thinking about the zombie apocalypse(I'm not joking, this is serious)...someone very important in my life once told me: "You never know when you're going to need to run ten miles". I think that alone is enough to motivate me to get out of my bed and go!!!

True story. There's actually a 5k obstacle race that I've been meaning to do called "Run For Your Lives", in which you're being chased by zombies. Each runner has flags on their belts like in flag football. If you lose all of your flags you're dead meat. I want to do it but the closest one is like 4 hours away.

Amorous Regular

2,950 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Clambake 200
  • First step to fame 200
Bravo Victor
Ragnheir
I get motivated by thinking about the zombie apocalypse(I'm not joking, this is serious)...someone very important in my life once told me: "You never know when you're going to need to run ten miles". I think that alone is enough to motivate me to get out of my bed and go!!!.

True story. There's actually a 5k obstacle race that I've been meaning to do called "Run For Your Lives", in which you're being chased by zombies. Each runner has flags on their belts like in flag football. If you lose all of your flags you're dead meat. I want to do it but the closest one is like 4 hours away.

Haha, there is actually a famous cosplayer(Yaya Han) who ran that race, so I've heard of it. Though she didn't really like it...I guess some of the Zombies weren't really great sports and were taking things out of hand...but that sounds like something really fun to do ^_^. If anything can get you to run for your life it's got to be the undead!

The first race I want to do involves dressing up as a superhero! But it's only 2.4 miles max(they also have a 1 mile course). Still, I hope I can run in that race and that it'll be fun.

I think finding races that interest you is another great way to motivate yourself and track progress.
Ragnheir
Bravo Victor
Ragnheir
I get motivated by thinking about the zombie apocalypse(I'm not joking, this is serious)...someone very important in my life once told me: "You never know when you're going to need to run ten miles". I think that alone is enough to motivate me to get out of my bed and go!!!.

Haha, there is actually a famous cosplayer(Yaya Han) who ran that race, so I've heard of it. Though she didn't really like it...I guess some of the Zombies weren't really great sports and were taking things out of hand...but that sounds like something really fun to do ^_^. If anything can get you to run for your life it's got to be the undead!

The first race I want to do involves dressing up as a superhero! But it's only 2.4 miles max(they also have a 1 mile course). Still, I hope I can run in that race and that it'll be fun.

I think finding races that interest you is another great way to motivate yourself and track progress.

There are "famous" cosplayers? Don't get me wrong, I'm no hater. I automatically love any hobby where gorgeous women dress up like scantily-clad anime and videogame characters. But, umm... how in the hell would someone be famous for doing that? I seriously want to know.

The superhero one sounds cool, though. 2.4 miles doesn't have to be bad if you throw in good obstacles and atmosphere. I did the tough mudder in NJ back in November and although I didn't really mind the distance, it got to a point where it just became redundant and superfluous. I felt they could have made it a much more enjoyable experience if it was shorter but better designed, without sacrificing difficulty (for those challenge nazis out there).

As for the undead, it's a pretty good motivator, yes. Though I wonder if there would be better ones...

How about a "Save Your Own a**" race, where they give you a 30 second head start before releasing convicted gang sodomy rapist felons. Now THAT'S motivation. Unless, well... if you're into that sort of thing. Then it just gets weird for the rest of us.

Intellectual Conversationalist

9,350 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
MessageIt ruins your knees walking is better

Amorous Regular

2,950 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Clambake 200
  • First step to fame 200
Bravo Victor
Ragnheir

There are "famous" cosplayers? Don't get me wrong, I'm no hater. I automatically love any hobby where gorgeous women dress up like scantily-clad anime and videogame characters. But, umm... how in the hell would someone be famous for doing that? I seriously want to know.

The superhero one sounds cool, though. 2.4 miles doesn't have to be bad if you throw in good obstacles and atmosphere. I did the tough mudder in NJ back in November and although I didn't really mind the distance, it got to a point where it just became redundant and superfluous. I felt they could have made it a much more enjoyable experience if it was shorter but better designed, without sacrificing difficulty (for those challenge nazis out there).

As for the undead, it's a pretty good motivator, yes. Though I wonder if there would be better ones...

How about a "Save Your Own a**" race, where they give you a 30 second head start before releasing convicted gang sodomy rapist felons. Now THAT'S motivation. Unless, well... if you're into that sort of thing. Then it just gets weird for the rest of us.

Famous, like really well known by the community. I've met a few people outside the community who know about her and her work too, so she's really popular. But let's not get off topic.

I think a "Save Your Own a**" race would be really motivating...haha. But also terrifying. I could see the need for a few medics on standby for something like that x_X. I'm not sure I could sign myself up for something like that though...

Hopefully the OP will now decide to sign up for a crazy race ^_^. There are some serious fun ones out there. I need to go find more.

Colored Lights
problems with my feet and usually get cramps when I run.

What would be a good way to get ready for it? And what do you do to get motivated?

You should go see a doctor about that. Someone I know used to have their knee hurt whenever they ran and they found out after going to the doctor they have an issue with their knee. So it's worth checking out, running might be causing you damage or maybe you need some different shoes.
Ragnheir
Bravo Victor
Ragnheir

Famous, like really well known by the community. I've met a few people outside the community who know about her and her work too, so she's really popular. But let's not get off topic.

I think a "Save Your Own a**" race would be really motivating...haha. But also terrifying. I could see the need for a few medics on standby for something like that x_X. I'm not sure I could sign myself up for something like that though...

Hopefully the OP will now decide to sign up for a crazy race ^_^. There are some serious fun ones out there. I need to go find more.

Colored Lights
problems with my feet and usually get cramps when I run.

What would be a good way to get ready for it? And what do you do to get motivated?

You should go see a doctor about that. Someone I know used to have their knee hurt whenever they ran and they found out after going to the doctor they have an issue with their knee. So it's worth checking out, running might be causing you damage or maybe you need some different shoes.

Indeed. As for crampy, here are the more common causes of cramping:
-Fatigue. Are your runs farther or faster paced than your body is ready for right now? Take it easier, ramp up the pace over time with something like interval training.

-Dehydration. This is a common killer. If you're running a lot, you'll likely run through your body's water reserves quickly. This is deceptively true also in the winter time.

-Electrolytes. This goes hand-in-hand with dehydration. Many people will think to replenish their water during strenuous activity but not their salts. Interestingly enough, there was a study that showed that even just the taste of salt in the mouth relieves acute cramps. Something about the body signalling your muscles that replenishment is on its way. Bottom line - keep up with your electrolytes during exercise.

-Stretching. Oftentimes this is ignored, but proper stretching is a huge factor in avoiding things like cramps and other injuries. Long, regular, targeted stretching can prevent some crampage on your runs. Keep in mind that depending on your run style, you strain different parts of your body. Make note of where it's hurting after long runs and make sure to pay special attention to that part with regards to stretching and massage.

And don't forget R.I.C.E.
Rest. Ice. Compression. Elevation.

Invisible Hunter

6,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
https://www.zombiesrungame.com/ <-- I'm using this + the Couch to 5k run program to get myself going! biggrin
Try running with your family or maybe a couple of friends. I never liked running until I joined the Army and got to do group runs with my platoon. It's a lot easier when you have others to help keep you motivated.
Getting into the habit of running is the hardest part in my opinion. But if you want what you get out of running then you have to force yourself to do it. Competition is good motivation but maybe it could be having that beach body for the summer that motivates you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff