3,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Voter 0
How to report a Bug

First thing to do when a member contact you regarding a possible bug:

1. Check an announcement!
If user experience a problem during some new project push it is probably
temporary and will be resolved after push is completed.

2. Can you reproduce the problem?

To make sure the problem is real:
Clean up the cash and cookie
Log out and log in back
Is it still reproducible?
If it is reproducible, please provide the following information:

Browser: IE6? IE7? FF? Safari? Opera?
Version: FF 2.0.5? FF 3? IE7 sp 2?
Brief description of the problem
steps to reproduce:

Example and templates are below.

3. Before you report the bug, please check other people's reports!!!!

4. Please report 1 bug in 1 post

REPORTING A BUG

Provide detailed and useful information when reporting!
The purpose of reporting a bug is so that later on a Developer will have enough information to reproduce the problem and resolve it. Reports made that do not provide useful information and are vague with no detail will be deleted.

Be descriptive in your title
Don't just put "Bug" in your title. For example, if something like Cinemas isn't poping up, put "Gaia Cinemas isn't popping up Bug."

Quick Format for posting bug reports:

Short description of the problem:

Browser:
Operation system:

Step 1- Log onto www.gaiaonline.com

Step 2-

Step 3-

Step 4-

Step 5-

Suppose to Result:

Act result:

Here's an example of how to write a bug:

Computer Specs:
Windows Vista Home Edition
Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.16609
Flash 9.0.115.0

Bug:
Playing winnings button does not work when you have over 10 winnings awarded

Reproduction:
1) Go to www.gaiaonline.com/
2) Log in as a user: user name and password
3) Go to the web page www.gaiaonline.com/games
4) Click on Slots
5) Pick any available room
6) Click on the Join button
7) Click on the Play Token button
cool Click on the Spin button
9) Repeat steps 7-8 until you have at least 10 winnings awarded

*Current winnings will display the number 10, right below Tickets and Tokens on the left center side

10) Click on the Play Winnings button

Result:
The button will not work. The current winnings do not decrement (decrease). The spin button does not work since no winnings or tokens are used.

Notes:
Any useful information goes here, such as how often this occurred.

If you notice for the above bug, it is very detailed and concise. If you were to go through the reproduction steps, you should be able to reproduce the bug, or if it is uncommon, occasionally reproduce the bug. smile

How NOT to write a bug:
Example1:

Computer Specs:
Windows

Bug:
The slots machine didn't work.

Reproduction:
Play slots by putting in tokens.

Result:
The slots machine didn't work.

Notice how everything is vague? If you were to try to go through the steps again, you would not have a clue where to start. Try to be as detailed as you can by giving any information such as: computer information and what you were doing before, if you used any power ups, etc. This way we can narrow down the possibilities.

5,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
windows 7
where - market place
bug - the image to see the clothes im trying on dissapears

I need more info to reproduce your bug. What browser are you using? What version of browser do you have? What item are you trying on? Can you still reproduce your bug ? I'm used FF on win7, and it works fine.
jseverin

IRL Noob

20,200 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Millionaire 200
Item-granting Ads (meebo bar) don't grant items/give error. Either invalid link or already granted.

Browser: Chrome and Firefox 6.0
Operation system: Mac 10.6.8

Step 2- Find "free item" Gaia Ad

Step 3- Click

Suppose to Result: Get free item/gold

Act result: Error page saying either "Invalid Link" or "Already Claimed"
i bought a aquarium penguine for 26000 gold and i went to put it in my tank and as soon as my tank popped up it showed i had to flush it i didnt like that. what can anyone do? any help is appreciated.

I forward your issue to our customer service dept, they will issue a refund to you.

Dangerous Voter

9,250 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
Issue: thanks for not using gaia ad blocker bug
I have Windows Vista with Internet Explorer 9
I could not reproduce the situation because it's the special ads.
The problem I had like many others is that I see the ad (in my case it showed up in the footer all four times) after clicking the ad it opens in another window with a page saying general error invalid link. If this helps I had not seen one before 8/23/11 I have not seen any ads on my gaia pages yet only in the footer. If you require proof I have screen shots of all four except I can't post them here because I don't use photo bucket. Please help thank you. 4laugh

Mega Noob

13,400 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Edit: Retracted. It was just a weird coincidence.

IRL Streaker

I am going to keep posting this bug in each week's thread until it gets fixed.

Quote:
Gaia Cash Shop Won't Work

Computer Specs:
Windows Vista Home Edition
Mozilla Firefox 6.0
JAVA Version 6.0.260.3
Flash Version (Most Recent as of August 21st. Could not find it.)

Location: Gaia Shops, Shops pull down menu, Chance Items Menu

Bug: The Gaia Cash shop link won’t work. Any attempt to click on the hyperlink to the cash shop simply redirects to the Gaia marketplace for browsing. Also, whenever trying to access the Shop from either Menu, the link seems to be unresponsive.

Reproduction:
1) Go to www.gaiaonline.com
2) Log in as a user: user name and password
3) Go to the web page www.gaiaonline.com/shops/
4) Click on La Victoire (Gaia Cash Shop) shop link
5) Web page redirects to general marketplace/search bar for items (Not supposed to happen)
---------
6) Pull down "Shops" Tab on bar under Gaia Logo and Avatar
7) Click "Cash Shop" link (Unresponsive, not supposed to happen)
---------
8) Pull down "Shops" Tab on bar under Gaia Logo and Avatar
9) Click "Premium Items" link
10) On top bar under previously used bar, click "Chance Items" link
11) Click "Get One" box under symbol for current Chance Item (Unresponsive, not supposed to happen)

Result: Any attempt to access the cash shop results in a redirect to the general marketplace or is unresponsive.

Notes: I just updated Mozilla Firefox and Adobe Flash today, to their most recent updates. I do use AdBlockPlus, but I have tested it with it both "On" on all Gaia websites, and "Off" on all Gaia websites. Results were the same. I have also attempted to do these steps on two other other accounts on the same computer. Results were the same. I have also attempted to use this account on my iPod Touch 4th Generation Version 4.3.3 on the Safari Application, NOT using the Gaia Online Application. Results the same.

There are also many other accounts that are trying to find help for this same issue. Here are some various topics that I used the search terms "Cash Shop Not Opening" in the Forums Search Bar.
Here. Here. Here. And Here.
And there are many, many more besides these few.
Please don't ignore this bug when you can't replicate it once. It's an issue that has many leaving Gaia and (a big one for you, I'm guessing) won't be spending any more money on Gaia Cash Cards. Please fix it.

I do have something to add to this though. I checked the second set of steps on my mother's MacBook Air. I did receive a response and was able to see everything in the Cash Shop without a problem.
I did happen to see a thread on this issue a while ago. Somebody told that person to clear their cache and cookies, like you told the user who quoted this in last week's thread, and nothing happened. The user mentioned that she uses CCleaner on her Window's computer. She went back to a previous state in her computer and the Cash Shop worked just fine.
I however, cannot do this, because I have had this issue for at least 4 months now.

My theory: Windows computers running the feature CCleaner to clear cache and cookies, history and registry issues seem to be having an issue connecting to the Cash Shop. CCleaner could be deleting a critical file in accessing the Shop, which something should be fixed about this in the code for in the Cash Shop.

My fix: Take the Cash Shop out of it's own personal window and making it like every other shop. I'm sure there would be a complicated process in going about this fix, but I thoroughly believe the bug will go away.

If I honestly spent about an hour of my time writing this and testing this so I could spend virtual money on a virtual game, there must be really something wrong. Thanks!

I did forward your issue to our devs, they are aware of the bug and will try to fix it.

I don't know if you'll see this message, but thank you so so so much! It's working now, surprisingly. Thanks again!

Fashionable Warlord

6,500 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
This problem has been fixed

I am unable to join any guilds and system says I am in a clan though I am not. I have had this problem for a year now and cannot find a solution.

Browser: Internet Explorer 9
Operation system:
Windows Vista

Step 1- Log onto www.gaianline.com

Step 2- Enter "Forums"

Step 3- Enter "Guilds"

Step 4- Select Guild

Step 5- Click "Join"

Suppose to Result:

Act result:
I recieve the following message:

General Error

User belongs to more than one clan

6,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Tycoon 200
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0
Operation system:Windows XP

Step 2- go onto Forums and start responding.

Step 3- After talking with someone for a while, you ask to be their friend.

Step 4- You have 36 friends total.

Suppose to Result: You befriend said user.

Act result: She received a message stating that I was at my limit for friends. I clearly am not at my limit at 36 friends.

Can not reproduce your issue. Check your friends requests, you should see my friend request to you, which you can decline.

jseverin

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
What clan were you trying to join? We want to try and reproduce this problem with your account, but don't want to inadvertently have you join the wrong clan. biggrin

Kazuki Senju
I am unable to join any guilds and system says I am in a clan though I am not. I have had this problem for a year now and cannot find a solution.

Browser: Internet Explorer 9
Operation system:
Windows Vista

Step 1- Log onto www.gaianline.com

Step 2- Enter "Forums"

Step 3- Enter "Guilds"

Step 4- Select Guild

Step 5- Click "Join"

Suppose to Result:

Act result:
I recieve the following message:

General Error

User belongs to more than one clan

Friendly Regular

10,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I use Windows 7
Mozilla firefox

1. Click on quick links tab on bottom of screen - NOTHING HAPPENS - Why?

When I use the "new" footer the quick links tab will not bring up ANYTHING. It does not work. I can use the Old footer and I do not have this problem. I don't understand why I have NEVER been able to use the quick links tab since the "new" footer came out. Please address this. Thanks!

Dangerous Lover

Gaia image cache does not update (in reasonable time) when image files are modified on Photobucket. (Untested with different hosts on the "safe" list; an "unsafe" image host does not show this problem.)

I have waited two days for a batch of images to change in the cache. I am not the only one for whom the images have not switched over; other users in my thread have stated that they can not see the updated images either, except via direct photobucket links (as opposed to embedded image tags). This was commented on both when I first changed the images, and this evening before I wrote this report. I suspect this is a problem on Gaia's end because the images show up as expected when viewed via Photobucket's direct links. I have also confirmed that this problem is not observed on another site using embedded image tags, though with HTML tags instead of BBCode.

Incidentally, guilds do not have this problem; updated images appear as they should.
Another b/c I visit, where images are regularly updated as described below, but are hosted through an independent host, does not show this problem...images change as expected after refreshing/clearing the cache.

I asked around and several people reported seeing the same problem in other shops. One noted that it took several days for images to change. I asked a friend to try changing an image as below, and the image displayed on the forum did not change within ten minutes; neither I nor my friend could see the updated image. The image on Photobucket had definitely changed, and did not even have the same dimensions as the original.

Caching problems caused by browsers, photobucket, or possibly the Gaia image cache, have been observed on the forums before, but images always successfully updated within an hour.

Here are a couple screenshots:
Image as linked through the forum image cache
Image viewed through direct URL link
As you can see from the URLs and the clock in the lower right, this is exactly the same image, and the screenshots were taken at almost exactly the same time.
The post announcing the image changes is timestamped Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:40 pm, for comparison with the date and time on the screenshots; more than two days have passed and the old images are still displayed.

Browser: IE 8, Firefox 6, Chrome
Operation system: Windows 7

Step 2- Post an image hosted on photobucket in any non-guild forum.

Step 3- Delete the image on photobucket.

Step 4- Upload a different image with an identical filename.

Step 5- Confirm the image has changed on Photobucket.

Step 6- Clear your browser cache.

Step 7- Refresh the post containing the original image.

Supposed to Result: The image changes to the new version.

Actual result: The image does not change within a reasonable period of time.
Browser: Chrome/13.0.782.112
Operating System: Vista
----------------------------------------------
I'm getting this problem with the green lining on some avatars once you save or preview, and I would like it to be fixed, here are screen shot. >Click<

The first avatar on the left is using Light Spirit/Blush and Checkered Remorse, and the green lining will appear.

The secend avatar is using Mortality Memory and Light Spirit/blush as well with the pants they have a slight green marking in between.

The third avatar has Checkered Remorse, Anesidora's Woe 1st Generation, and Light Spirit/Blush.

I would these bug's get checked soon I really want to make an avatar with these items. @.@

I was told by the artist that the blush cannot be fixed, you need to take off the blush and that the green lining will disappear
jseverin

Dangerous Lunatic

4,550 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Computer Specs: PC
Windows XP
Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.16609
Flash 9.0.115.0

free stuff gaia cash tree in upper right corner

Bug:
For the "nominate a local business" activity powered by socialvibe. When you finish the survey it does not credit you the usual 5 gaia cash or give any indication that your vote/nomination has even been acknowledged. I have completed it 3 different times over the course of several days on a couple of different computers. It is not an error on my end.

Yes, we are aware of this issue. Our devs are working to fix it soon.
jseverin

Can you please let me know what country are you from?

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
Computer specs: Dell
Windows XP
Browser: Internet Explorer
Bug:
Same problem as MegaL0don, every day I come on and click the free gaia cash tree and the window that pops up is the "nominate a local business" powered by socialvibe. I fill in all of the information and click "submit vote" and it acts like its loading. Other than that, it doesn't do anything. And since it's the first offer that pops up, I can't get any gaia cash.

Yes, we are aware of this issue. Our devs are working to fix it soon.
jseverin

Can you please let me know what country you are from ?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games