Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dandrogyny
I see a pretty large subculture of Christians who sin and then repent, sin then repent. They treat people like total s**t for not being Christian, OR, they are like really nice in person, but stab you in the back later. It is SO common. We hear about it happening mostly to LGBT kids. Almost everyone has that "crazy Christian friend/acquaintance". It's not like they're the rare hermits that you only see once in a blue moon.

I've met about three people like the ones you describe, all of them online. The vast majority of people who call themselves Christian that I have ever known--and they number in the hundreds--are pretty great people. Yea, everyone's got their faults, but if I didn't know their religious beliefs I couldn't really differentiate them from the Jews, atheists, agnostics, or Buddhists that I've known.

I think demographics vary across the country. I don't take my experience to mean that Christians are almost all wonderful, amazing people. But I do know that, when someone attacks you or people dear to you or even just people you agree with, you're more likely to take it personally than when someone attacks other people, especially people you disagree with. Christians tend to take notice when a teacher tells a kid he can't draw pictures of Jesus or says a girl can't wear a cross necklace, while non-Christians tend to take notice when people demand that the ten commandments be displayed on public property or want to make store employees start wishing people "Merry Christmas" again. It's just the way we are, as people. Obama supporters will take more notice and be more outraged when someone says something nasty about Obama, while Bush supporters took more notice and became more outraged when folks would say nasty things about Bush. Working moms will get mad when stay-at-home moms insinuate they aren't good moms; stay-at-home moms will get mad when working moms insinuate that they don't work very hard.

So, it may be really easy for you to notice when Christians are being assholes, and you compile all the evidence and build it up because obviously, those people ARE being assholes. Keep in mind, in America anyways, there are far more people who identify as Christian than people who don't identify as Christian, so statistically there will be more a*****e Christians than a*****e Jews. (Ironically, most of the assholes I grew up around were Jewish.)

And Christians will get a bit touchy when someone insinuates that the majority of people like them aren't very good people after all. People are people everywhere. You're going to find assholes and you're going to find sweethearts. The majority of people fall into neither category; the majority of folks will have their good days and their bad days.

The internet is not a perfect microcosm of reality, even moreso because people feel there's no real-life consequence for running their mouths. We can address bad behavior on the internet, by all means. Just don't cloud the issue by claiming that's what the majority of <X group> does.

Blessed Rogue

10,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
GunsmithKitten
black_wing_angel
A group of trolls that represent only themselves pick on someone over the internet.

...How is this news?

Black, this is going beyond trolling.

Did you read this s**t? They're planning violence...

✮AJ Saiηt✮: Lets all jump that girl who did the banner #********

Alyssa Pingitore: "@gianna_noell: Nothing bad better happen tomorrow #justsaying #fridaythe13th"

Zach The Dog: ******** Jessica alquist I'll drop anchor on her face

(Twitter) Caleb McDevitt: definelty laying it down on this atheist tomorrow anyone else? (Twitter)

(Twitter) Im Dante Smith: @jvezina022 hail Mary full of grace @jessicaalquist is gonna get punched in the face

(Twitter) Cracked Lens: @jessicaalquist your home address posted online i cant wait to hear about you getting curb stomped you ******** worthless c**t

(Twitter) Alexandra Vachon: @AjSaint Jessica alquist
(Twitter) ✮AJ Saiηt✮: @alexandraa_x7 I found it, what a little b***h lol I wanna snuff her

(Twitter) Alexandra Vachon: @Claudiaaox this girl honestly needs to be punched in the face #justsaying

(Twitter) ✮AJ Saiηt✮: @etr131 lol I wanna stick that b***h lol

(Twitter) ✮AJ Saiηt✮: Brb ima go drown that atheist in holy water 

I could be wrong, Black, but when you threaten to drown or snuff someone, that constitutes a crime, does it not?

Sure. And I agree that something should be done about it.

Although, to be 100% fair, these are kids. Kids often talk s**t they either can't or won't back up. Most of them just want to talk tough, so they can look "cool". I bet none of them actually have the balls to go through with any of it. I knew a lot of tough talkers in high school, that wouldn't back a word of it up. It's sad, but it's a phase.

Either way, it's still nothing out of the usual, for public school. This s**t happens everyday, somewhere. Just detain them, give them a firm talking to, possibly ground them and/or put hand to a**, and carry on.

Also, my issue is more with the OP trying to use this as some "See?! I told you them Christians are bad people!" As if the few represent the many. Stereotypes...gotta love 'em.

It's basically the equivalent of people using Rosie O'Donnell, to represent you. You are nothing like that black-hearted, mouthy b***h, and I wouldn't stand for someone judging you by her, anymore than I'll stand for someone judging me by the WBC.

Blessed Rogue

10,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Dandrogyny
Jessi Danger
Dandrogyny
Jessi Danger
Public schools are shitty places. But Jessica did sort of insult the local culture and beliefs. I mean, she does have the right to sue and have the banner taken down, but she doesn't have the right to make her classmates like her or respect her. If she wanted to be a martyr, well she got it. I feel for her, high school is a b***h as it is. sad
I'm not saying she "deserves respect". But I am saying it is outrageous that people are harassing her like this is going unquestioned at large and is being quietly defended by dismissive Christians.

idk, maybe if she didn't want to be martyred she should have put herself there? She will be harassed and people are going to inform her how much they dislike her. Communities tend to react badly when you tell them "I don't like you, your customs offend me! Go away!" even if she was in the right under the law, she still has insulted a local community.
How the ********, exactly, does exercising your constitutional right equate to martyring?

Think of it this way:

You walk into a room full of black people, and as per your constitutional right to free speech, you yell out "******** ALL YOU WORTHLESS NIGGERS!"

You're constitutionally protected....but you still just set yourself up for a really, really bad day.

Quote:
She didn't say any of that. It was clear that she didn't want a religious bias in a public school. That isn't necessarily an attack on Christians.

And that's fine. I fully support that sentiment. Separation of Church and State, and all of that. But she pissed people off. It happens.

Hell, a few years ago, Barrack Obama was set to visit my local area for some stupid a** reason. And at least 4 people were reported having planned to assassinate him.

Just comes with the territory.

Just take solace in knowing that none of the little bastards probably have the balls to actually do anything. They're kids. They mouth off. It's what they do.
Ratttking
Captain Verd
The problem isn't in ignorant Christians, but ignorant people in general. The other day, someone on my boyfriend's Facebook was talking about how angry they were that Planned Parenthood wanted people to pray for them. How dare they try to use the Lord to support their dirty abortion clinics, etc.

But, as a good Christian, shouldn't they WANT people to pray? Can you actively discourage prayer to the Lord and still be a good Christian? If their prayers are heard and God helps them, who are you to say it's wrong?

There are ignorant people of all religions, including non-religions. Ignorant atheists, ignorant Buddhists, ignorant heathens, all of them. The issue is that people forget to be humble, or modest. In the case of Christians like these, they forget that humility and forgiveness are just key things that Christ holds dear. They take an attack on their beliefs as evil, and they in turn attack people for it.

I don't think there's apathy regarding the girl's situation. I've seen a lot of people angry over it, Christians included. Hello Noora should stop by and preach about the loving, accepting Christians who would just pray for the girl and learn not to be so proud.

Hm? What? Oh yes, pride is one of the deadly sins. Weird how people seem to forget that.
Pride may be considered a mortal sin to Catholics, but not all Christians are Catholics. Other than that point, I agree with you.

I also find it ironic that the OP is an atheist who despises religion and god(s) and their believers, yet is speaking on behalf of a polytheist.
True, but anyone following the teachings of Christ should know to be humble, forgiving, and accepting. Hate speech gets you nowhere with jesus, dawg.

Blessed Rogue

10,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Dandrogyny
black_wing_angel
Quote:
Don't call me kid.

You're 22. I'm 26. You're a kid, compared to me.
That's only a 4 year difference. Seriously now. neutral Still really shitty debate etiquette.

I'm 64 and you're 60! You're a kid compared to meeeee.

Quote:
Quote:
It's juvenile and poor debate etiquette. Second, you're only validating that "one group" assertion by dismissing it like I said was typical of Xtians. Prove me wrong.

Problem is, it's NOT typical of ANY major group. The few do not represent the many. Muslim extremists do not represent Islam. The WBC do not represent Christianity. Rebecca Black does not represent modern music. Hitler does not represent Germany. Bush does not represent Texas. Al Sharpton does not represent black people.

Except you're wrong. it is not this tiny minority. It is a noticeably large group of the American Xtian demographic.

Very true. Unfortunate, but true.

The problem is....it's not just us. Atheists act this way, as well. Pretty much every group has a few of these types.

Hell, look at Twilight. It's a goddamn book series turned movie franchise. Nothing to be worshipped as some golden god among fiction writing. Yet there are accounts of people threatening to attack people for simply expressing a negative opinion of the franchise. And not all alleged victims were "bashing" it, directly. Some had even just said "It's just not my thing".

Christians are not the only people with these kinds of zealots.

Quote:
You don't get to count all 2.1 billion Christians when it's clear that this is an American social phenomenon.

Hey! Now you're getting it. *thumbs up*

It's not a "Christian" phenomenon. It's a much more broad spectrum of people. More attributable to "Americans", than "Christians". But even that is somewhat dishonest.

Quote:
You don't get the count the entire American Christian population since they're not all members of the same sect or social movement. They don't even all have the same social agenda. So when you swear that "Christians are a diverse group," you then cannot use your numbers to your advantage. Your loss.

When have I tried to use "my numbers" to my "advantage"?

Quote:
Further, unlike the tiny extremist groups that usually name themselves in these other religions, this particular social phenomenon is not an "organized group" like WBC or the KKK. They are a bunch of "individuals"all doing the same crazy s**t and it's "trending" on the internet due to the sheer number of morons there are out there.

Yes. Morons are bountiful. In all groups. What of it?

Quote:
You cannot equate this to the "groups" and individuals you are comparing it to, because unlike ALL of your examples, no one is "leading" these people, other than their Churches. Their "leader" IS the Church.

No, it's honestly not that simple. People don't always need an identifiable "leader", to follow a behavioral trend. Ever set up dominoes, and knock them over? Does that one first one knock every single other domino down, personally? Or does it only knock the one, which knocks over the next...on and on? Such behavior doesn't require an active "leader", by default. There is such a thing as "crowd following". Someone does something, so the next person does it, too. And then someone sees them, and follows suit.

If these people are in fact "individuals", then their actions are only upon themselves. Not "the Church" (which church?).

Quote:
Quote:
And the biggest problem I have with "discussing" it, is that you're picking one single act, out of many. And acting like it only happens because of this one group.

No, I am NOT acting like this is "unique" to Xtians. What makes it "unique" is no one really challenges it and Xtians constantly deny it.

Deny what, exactly?

What are "we" supposed to do? What of this activity, is "our" collective problem?

If a group of transgendered individuals suddenly get the wild hair up their asses to go on a shooting rampage in a local mall, is that on your shoulders?

Quote:
Quote:
The fact is, all kinds of people pull this kind of s**t, everyday. Hell, there are entire NEWSPAPERS dedicated to exactly this kind of behavior. Ever heard of the Globe? National Enquirer? They sell newspapers full of this kind of gossip. The difference being that the targets are celebrities. I even saw one yesterday on the news-rack, criticizing celebrities for having skin conditions that everyone gets. God forbid Miley Cyrus gets a pimple...

Just because other groups do it does not mean it's worth ignoring and dismissing Xtians.

It does mean, however, that it's not worth targeting us, specifically.

Quote:
That is their constant social privilege. We call everyone else out on it, don't we?

Do you? I've only ever seen you ripping on Christians, since I first noticed you, around here.

Quote:
A hell of a lot more than Xtians.

Somehow, I'm not convinced of that.

Quote:
And if you call them out once they start whining about how we should attack others instead.

If 20 students decide to cheat on a test, and all 20 are caught in the act, is it fair to specifically point out one of the 20 to be punished, and essentially ignore the remaining 19? Or should you punish them all, equally?

Quote:
Furthermore, those publications are outrageous comparisons. This is not "gossip". We have PROOF.

Aaaaaaaaaand the point zooms over your head like a missile.

These publications publicly spread malicious information (most of which is probably not even true), about specific people.

The only difference, is that people actually RECOGNIZE these people. This Jessica chick....who the ******** is she?

Quote:
Quote:
So why pick this one example? As if you're just trying to say "This just proves that Christians are scum!" Which is dishonest. It proves nothing about any group at large. Especially since the behavior is not exclusive to that one group. Atheists do it. Buddhists probably do it. Jews most likely do it.

I already said in the OP that I was not making this thread to attack all Xtians, yet you are quick to get butthurt.

I'm not "butthurt". I'm just raising a point about your recently admitted crusade against the followers of Christ.

Admittedly, I skimmed the OP. I believe I missed that little note. If it's honestly there. I re-read the post and still never saw that little disclaimer.

However, it changes nothing. It's still akin to saying "I'm not trying to pick on fat people, but seriously...shouldn't there be some sort of law against letting yourself get over 20 lbs overweight?"

You can "say" that you don't mean to offend, but that doesn't mean you won't. And believe me, offensive behavior is something I'm well versed in.

Quote:
Can you discuss a subject without victimizing yourself?

Can you discuss a subject without crusading against Christianity? This is only the second thread I've seen you in. Admittedly, I haven't been looking for you, so maybe I am mistaken. If so, then I do apologize for that. However, my points still stand.

Quote:
If someone criticizes the trans community, I don't go, "I'M NOT LIKE THAT!! WE'RE NOT ALL LIKE THAT!"

It's your decision to allow ignorance to prevail. I choose to attempt to correct what I hope are only misguided, but well-meaning minds.

Quote:
I usually look at the COMMUNITY as a WHOLE and ask myself if the community does those things-- AS A WHOLE. Me being an "exception" doesn't change what the people around me do, nor does it change the social movement that the vast majority of trans people are a part of. The same goes for Xtians. Being an "exception" doesn't change anything.

Except that we're not rare exceptions. It only appears as such, because many of us do not draw attention to ourselves. You only see the "bad ones", because they're the only ones speaking loudly for all to hear. That doesn't make them a "majority", no matter how abundant they may seem.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They do not subject themselves to criticism or introspection.

And you would know that how?

See above.

So...you don't. Good. Now we're getting somewhere.

No. Shitty debate etiquette again.

Shitty argument warrants a shitty retort.

Quote:
The fact that you and many other Xtians so quickly just deny s**t like this

What have I "denied"?

Quote:
proves you are incapable of introspecting and questioning your social movement.

No, it doesn't. "Evidences", I'll grant you. But that's not the same thing. You do good to remember that.

Also, what have I "denied"? And the only one here who is against introspection, is you.

Quote:
You are just quick to dismiss it and defend yourselves.

Everyone is entitled to self-defense. Are Christians somehow not?

Quote:
You're proving that in this thread. You call yourself an "exception" yet you are proving the rule.

Actually, I'm proving that you don't know s**t, and are making yourself look like a complete ignorant bigot, in league with the common racist and sexist, respectively.
raggle raggle the majority of christians are bad! First rule of debate: If you don't have the facts to back the smack, use words like "many" rather than "most". It's much harder to argue against "many", since the number can be as big as a million or as few as ten.

Blessed Rogue

10,450 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Captain Verd
raggle raggle the majority of christians are bad! First rule of debate: If you don't have the facts to back the smack, use words like "many" rather than "most". It's much harder to argue against "many", since the number can be as big as a million or as few as ten.

*Points*

See this, Dan? This is my point, in a goddamn nutshell. Your personal bias against Christians is unfounded, unwarranted, and ignorant.

Thank you, Verd.
Dandrogyny

I think Christians are their very own worst enemy.

I think that's pretty accurate. Most issues that Christians blame on atheists, like the secularization of culture, "taking the Christ out of Christmas" and things like that are actually the result of the attitude/behavior of the Christian majority.

That said, while it's certainly unfortunate that people are threatening this girl, I do think it's worth remembering that online opinion is almost never a good representation of real life opinion or behavior. People say a lot of things online that they would never say or act upon in real life. I think probably there are a lot of Christians who would disagree with her, but I think most of them at worst just think it's annoying. With issues like these, the only time I actually encounter the extreme/hostile side is on the internet.
Dandrogyny
The Sky Does Not Bow
Christians*

Xtians isn't a word.
I'll use Xtians as much as crazy radfems use "womyn".

So not at all, got it.
Does she have a public email? I would like to send her encouragement. I hope she is doing well after that incident. I just feel really bad for that girl,having to go through all that.

Dapper Phantom

Nonesuch Solo
Dandrogyny
I see a pretty large subculture of Christians who sin and then repent, sin then repent. They treat people like total s**t for not being Christian, OR, they are like really nice in person, but stab you in the back later. It is SO common. We hear about it happening mostly to LGBT kids. Almost everyone has that "crazy Christian friend/acquaintance". It's not like they're the rare hermits that you only see once in a blue moon.

I've met about three people like the ones you describe, all of them online. The vast majority of people who call themselves Christian that I have ever known--and they number in the hundreds--are pretty great people. Yea, everyone's got their faults, but if I didn't know their religious beliefs I couldn't really differentiate them from the Jews, atheists, agnostics, or Buddhists that I've known.

I think demographics vary across the country. I don't take my experience to mean that Christians are almost all wonderful, amazing people. But I do know that, when someone attacks you or people dear to you or even just people you agree with, you're more likely to take it personally than when someone attacks other people, especially people you disagree with. Christians tend to take notice when a teacher tells a kid he can't draw pictures of Jesus or says a girl can't wear a cross necklace, while non-Christians tend to take notice when people demand that the ten commandments be displayed on public property or want to make store employees start wishing people "Merry Christmas" again. It's just the way we are, as people. Obama supporters will take more notice and be more outraged when someone says something nasty about Obama, while Bush supporters took more notice and became more outraged when folks would say nasty things about Bush. Working moms will get mad when stay-at-home moms insinuate they aren't good moms; stay-at-home moms will get mad when working moms insinuate that they don't work very hard.

So, it may be really easy for you to notice when Christians are being assholes, and you compile all the evidence and build it up because obviously, those people ARE being assholes. Keep in mind, in America anyways, there are far more people who identify as Christian than people who don't identify as Christian, so statistically there will be more a*****e Christians than a*****e Jews. (Ironically, most of the assholes I grew up around were Jewish.)

And Christians will get a bit touchy when someone insinuates that the majority of people like them aren't very good people after all. People are people everywhere. You're going to find assholes and you're going to find sweethearts. The majority of people fall into neither category; the majority of folks will have their good days and their bad days.

The internet is not a perfect microcosm of reality, even moreso because people feel there's no real-life consequence for running their mouths. We can address bad behavior on the internet, by all means. Just don't cloud the issue by claiming that's what the majority of <X group> does.
Well like I said you've been lucky. People tell me that I live in a very open-minded state. I live in the State of California, in the valley, so I'm not in the city but I'm not in the country, either. We get a lot of Catholics here, but it's not like I'm going to get shot for looking like a f*****t. The militant Christians somehow bizarrely coexist with the freaks like me, and the violence against LGBT people is somehow restrained. I do get a little harassment over it, but more than anything else, it's the backstabbing, talking down to me, OR downright attacking people for being atheist. I have had MANY locals turn my Facebook page into a religious warzone but are too p***y to do it to my face. Then they act all apologetic in person-- that same old dismissive s**t where they just excuse themselves and each other.

Honestly, as an athiest I do NOT feel "assaulted" by things like the 10 commandents or a prayer banner. However if I felt it was affecting the entire social climate of the environment I may have to say something (i.e. my peers at school saying "shut up atheist, the prayer banner says you're wrong!" and they teachers agreeing with that sort of bullying). She lives in SUCH a conservative area that yes, I do feel she was pretty much fighting up hill for no reason. HOWEVER, she got LUCKY, was able to actually bring this to COURT (without an immediate dismissal), AND she was able to WIN HER CASE. This did JACK s**t for her community, but had a national impact on the secular community. It reminded us that we DO have a voice and when our situation is a little bit different than her's we might be able to make a huge difference in an oppressive community. Secularism in the professional setting is NOT oppressive. Religion is a VERY personal choice and lifestyle and should not be shoved on all. Religionists think that they can argue that secularism is the "religion of atheists" and therefore "cannot be forced on everyone" but it is not. It is the NEUTRAL, "PC" position, where basically religion isn't talked about in specifics in a secular environment. It's how it is with the Justice system. While religion can be discussed in court-- you even have the option to swear on YOUR holy book of choice-- religion does NOT make the final Judgment in the Court. This is how all government should be, including the public education system. Religion should not be encouraged/endorced by those organizations. I am NOT suggesting it should be banned, however. That would have severe whiplash. However, I AM suggesting that no school official promote any particular religious position over another. That DOES include saying "******** religion" and stuff. A teacher taking a militant atheist position is just as bad, and they need to be neutral, basically saying, "It's your choice what you believe" and NOT mention their OWN belief system. It's a part of their private life. It's like discussing what kind of sex they have with their students.

I think if a girl is allowed to wear a cross necklace, I should be allowed to wear a pentacle, even a Satanist one, without getting in trouble (in school). If one religion is allowed, all religions should be allowed. Christianity should not get some magical privilege. Well at my high school, Runes were banned. Many students were wearing runes and a CHRISTIAN parent said that it was offensive. They got banned for being a "distraction" since so many Christian students were literally refusing to attend class over it.

When comparing Christianity to Judaism or Mormonism, I don't feel it is a fair comparison. Why? Because in both Mormonism AND Judaism, people are held accountable for being assholes. It's a HUGE disgrace to their Church/Synagogue/community if they act that way. But with Christians, it is often ignored or even encouraged, but most often just a quite, dirty little secret. And that is one reason I hate THESE TYPES of Christians so much, who yes, I DO find to be the majority. That means more than 50%, not necessarily 90%.

People say the majority of people like me are terrible and what do I have to do? I have to suck it up, because unlike Christians I am a minority, so I don't have many people out there to defend me. I have to suck it right the ******** up and it isn't killing me. Grow some balls, Righteous ones. That is all I have to say about people taking it "personally" if they think they are an "exception". If you're an exception, good for you I guess. But also realize that EVERYONE, even the most notorious, feels like an exception, and they somehow excuse/justify their horrible behavior.

I do not think that these things being said on the internet somehow makes it "irrelevant" because people feel safe on here. Quite contrary-- they are LACKING a filther, showing their true, horrible colors-- things that they would usually hide in person. And I am NOT only talking about things that happen on the internet.

Dapper Phantom

The Sky Does Not Bow
Dandrogyny
The Sky Does Not Bow
Christians*

Xtians isn't a word.
I'll use Xtians as much as crazy radfems use "womyn".

So not at all, got it.
Dandrogyny
The Living Force
I feel the need to add that X in Xian or Xmas isn't taking Christ out of it; X is the Greek letter Chi, which was Christ's abbreviation.
I am aware. That's why I know it isn't really an incorrect use of it, at least in my opinion. But yeah people don't like the "bastardization" and make a big deal out of it when really it's just shorthand.

Cry moar.

Dapper Phantom

black_wing_angel
GunsmithKitten
black_wing_angel
A group of trolls that represent only themselves pick on someone over the internet.

...How is this news?

Black, this is going beyond trolling.

Did you read this s**t? They're planning violence...

✮AJ Saiηt✮: Lets all jump that girl who did the banner #********

Alyssa Pingitore: "@gianna_noell: Nothing bad better happen tomorrow #justsaying #fridaythe13th"

Zach The Dog: ******** Jessica alquist I'll drop anchor on her face

(Twitter) Caleb McDevitt: definelty laying it down on this atheist tomorrow anyone else? (Twitter)

(Twitter) Im Dante Smith: @jvezina022 hail Mary full of grace @jessicaalquist is gonna get punched in the face

(Twitter) Cracked Lens: @jessicaalquist your home address posted online i cant wait to hear about you getting curb stomped you ******** worthless c**t

(Twitter) Alexandra Vachon: @AjSaint Jessica alquist
(Twitter) ✮AJ Saiηt✮: @alexandraa_x7 I found it, what a little b***h lol I wanna snuff her

(Twitter) Alexandra Vachon: @Claudiaaox this girl honestly needs to be punched in the face #justsaying

(Twitter) ✮AJ Saiηt✮: @etr131 lol I wanna stick that b***h lol

(Twitter) ✮AJ Saiηt✮: Brb ima go drown that atheist in holy water 

I could be wrong, Black, but when you threaten to drown or snuff someone, that constitutes a crime, does it not?

Sure. And I agree that something should be done about it.

Although, to be 100% fair, these are kids. Kids often talk s**t they either can't or won't back up. Most of them just want to talk tough, so they can look "cool". I bet none of them actually have the balls to go through with any of it. I knew a lot of tough talkers in high school, that wouldn't back a word of it up. It's sad, but it's a phase.

Either way, it's still nothing out of the usual, for public school. This s**t happens everyday, somewhere. Just detain them, give them a firm talking to, possibly ground them and/or put hand to a**, and carry on.

Also, my issue is more with the OP trying to use this as some "See?! I told you them Christians are bad people!" As if the few represent the many. Stereotypes...gotta love 'em.

It's basically the equivalent of people using Rosie O'Donnell, to represent you. You are nothing like that black-hearted, mouthy b***h, and I wouldn't stand for someone judging you by her, anymore than I'll stand for someone judging me by the WBC.
They are NOT all kids and that is part of why this is outrageous. A lot of "well-established adults" are involved in the threats-- yes, people older than 26! You should look at some screenshots of the threats and see the variety. It is not just people from her school/community, either. She got harassed by people nationwide over Twitter.

Also you keep disregarding THIS NOTE in the OP:

Quote:
To clarify: this thread isn't necessarily made to attack "all Christians". HOWEVER, I also have a hard time believing that this sort of behavior is coming from such a small "extremist minority" when there are so many "commoners" flipping out over this girl on Twitter. It seems to be Xtian social phenomenon, NOT just a few nutjobs.

And THIS is how I addressed for WBC/famous individuals argument:

Quote:
Further, unlike the tiny extremist groups that usually name themselves in these other religions, this particular social phenomenon is not an "organized group" like WBC or the KKK. They are a bunch of "individuals"all doing the same crazy s**t and it's "trending" on the internet due to the sheer number of morons there are out there. You cannot equate this to the "groups" and individuals you are comparing it to, because unlike ALL of your examples, no one is "leading" these people, other than their Churches. Their "leader" IS the Church.

Stop making strawman arguments in my thread or you will be removed.

Dapper Phantom

Kuja v6
Girl exaggerates trivial issue to affront Christians everywhere and gain media attention. Cloaks sadism with pretenses of "exercising constitutional rights."

A neurotic individual, too deplorable for sympathy, and yet perhaps too pathetic for outright hatred.

Which is to say, a typical atheist.
Loaded argument without proof. How exactly what she "cloaking sadism".

Wait, I'm not even going to do this. You went to the whole "too pathetic, typical atheist" position, which is NOT a legitimate "counter" to my argument. You are no longer allowed to post in this thread.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games