Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Autobiographer

7,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Captain Verd
The problem isn't in ignorant Christians, but ignorant people in general. The other day, someone on my boyfriend's Facebook was talking about how angry they were that Planned Parenthood wanted people to pray for them. How dare they try to use the Lord to support their dirty abortion clinics, etc.

But, as a good Christian, shouldn't they WANT people to pray? Can you actively discourage prayer to the Lord and still be a good Christian? If their prayers are heard and God helps them, who are you to say it's wrong?

There are ignorant people of all religions, including non-religions. Ignorant atheists, ignorant Buddhists, ignorant heathens, all of them. The issue is that people forget to be humble, or modest. In the case of Christians like these, they forget that humility and forgiveness are just key things that Christ holds dear. They take an attack on their beliefs as evil, and they in turn attack people for it.

I don't think there's apathy regarding the girl's situation. I've seen a lot of people angry over it, Christians included. Hello Noora should stop by and preach about the loving, accepting Christians who would just pray for the girl and learn not to be so proud.

Hm? What? Oh yes, pride is one of the deadly sins. Weird how people seem to forget that.

I agree. It's rather sad that people pay a lot of attention to the loud ignorant few when there are hundreds of kind quiet Christians (or insert group of your choice here) who get lumped in. The loud Christians who harassed this girl are not representing a good example of their Christian charity. It's sad, but true.

Aged Lunatic

Fireweed_honey
Captain Verd
The problem isn't in ignorant Christians, but ignorant people in general. The other day, someone on my boyfriend's Facebook was talking about how angry they were that Planned Parenthood wanted people to pray for them. How dare they try to use the Lord to support their dirty abortion clinics, etc.

But, as a good Christian, shouldn't they WANT people to pray? Can you actively discourage prayer to the Lord and still be a good Christian? If their prayers are heard and God helps them, who are you to say it's wrong?

There are ignorant people of all religions, including non-religions. Ignorant atheists, ignorant Buddhists, ignorant heathens, all of them. The issue is that people forget to be humble, or modest. In the case of Christians like these, they forget that humility and forgiveness are just key things that Christ holds dear. They take an attack on their beliefs as evil, and they in turn attack people for it.

I don't think there's apathy regarding the girl's situation. I've seen a lot of people angry over it, Christians included. Hello Noora should stop by and preach about the loving, accepting Christians who would just pray for the girl and learn not to be so proud.

Hm? What? Oh yes, pride is one of the deadly sins. Weird how people seem to forget that.

I agree. It's rather sad that people pay a lot of attention to the loud ignorant few when there are hundreds of kind quiet Christians (or insert group of your choice here) who get lumped in. The loud Christians who harassed this girl are not representing a good example of their Christian charity. It's sad, but true.

Then they need to be louder and tell the jerks to stuff it and quit ruining it for the rest of them.

Blessed Autobiographer

7,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
GunsmithKitten
Fireweed_honey
Captain Verd

Then they need to be louder and tell the jerks to stuff it and quit ruining it for the rest of them.

I'm sure some have tried. I know when I see other Christians around me act like assholes, I reprimand them. I've lost a few "Christian" friends that way. I certainly hope that more start standing up.
Hanma Selis
PC Fabulous Troll
Dandrogyny

I think Christians are their very own worst enemy.

They killed their own saviour. Go figure.

Technically, no. The Romans wasn't a christian nation at that time. They converted around 380 A.D. When they crucified Jesus Christ, they were still worshiping the old gods.

Technically, no.

Christianity started out as a sect of Judaism, so while the core of the group was worshiping the God of Abraham anyway, the addition of Jesus was new. The Romans were at first amused, dubbing them 'little Christs'. After circumcision was no longer required as a sacrament to join the Jewish sect of Christianity, Romans started to join because being naked wouldn't rat out their religion. Then it was noticed that Romans weren't worshipping the old Gods and Christianity was declared to be a religion separate from Judaism because Judaism was a protected religion and couldn't be persecuted or prosecuted. By making Christianity separate, the Roman government could then make it illegal in an attempt to reconvert old Roman citizens.

So 'The Romans' aren't 'The Christians'. Christianity started out with an entirely Jewish populace that eventually gained Roman supported. Either way, the people who would and whose ancestors would be Christian are the people responsible for his cruxifixction, as the decision to kill Jesus was made for political reasons both regarding the Jewish Temple and the Roman Government.

So the irony still stands.
...you took Christwire seriously?

for shame, OP. for shame.

Blessed Autobiographer

7,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Bento the spazcat

I know I'm going to sound stupid, but what is Christwire exactly?
Fireweed_honey
Bento the spazcat

A glorious excercise in Poe's Law, showing that sometimes you can't tell crazy-as-hell fundies from a parody of crazy-as-hell fundies.

Blessed Autobiographer

7,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Bento the spazcat
Fireweed_honey
Bento the spazcat

A glorious excercise in Poe's Law, showing that sometimes you can't tell crazy-as-hell fundies from a parody of crazy-as-hell fundies.

Ah, okay. Thanks!
Christians*

Xtians isn't a word.

Distinct Browser

10,600 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
LOOOOL I find your spelling of Christian to be utterly ridiculous. Looks more like the name of an Aztecan magical beast that you would be sacrificed to. For ******** sake, it's not like trying to de-symbolize Christmas by calling it X-mas.

That girl shouldn't be getting harassed for it. Simple as that. But maybe if you didn't seem like such an asshat yourself, I wouldn't want to be calling you a hypocrite. Practice what you preach.

Golden Citizen

9,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Giygasm
And this is why I believe that Christians don't deserve any rights. Watch and all the butthurt Xians will come in and whine and call me a Nazi for it.

You're not a Nazi, but you're being illogical for blaming all of the Christians for the actions of some

Dapper Phantom

Captain Verd

That's pretty ******** strange. Even as a MILITANT atheist myself, I do not get insulted when people pray for a cause. A Christian doing that is just shooting themselves in the foot. It IS an example of Christian ignorance when they also feel their prayer should be limited to Xtian causes.

I am aware that ignorance exists in every group. The difference is that everyone else gets called on it, whereas if you call a Xtian out on it, everyone comes to their defense and says,"It's not so bad! Everyone's ignorant, lol!" But it's okay to gripe about other groups without question.

And there's another thing you pointed out. Christ DID promote modesty, humility, and tolerance. Not everyone's religion/beliefs are like that. As an athiest, I don't really have any "rules" to follow, so I'm not exactly "breaking" any. I can even have spiritual beliefs and not be breaking any "rules," because atheism only pertains to a deity. The "rules" extend as far as to why I'm an atheist. So while atheists can be ignorant, they don't have a straight up dogma that they can then go and be hypocritical about.

I think this thread is a pretty good example of how people generally dismiss this subject, honestly.

The 7 Deadly Sins orginate outside of Xtianity, though Christians did take it and run with it. They did that with a lot of religions, like making Christ's birthday party a Pagan ritual.

Dapper Phantom

PandorasJackinthebox
So now "Freedom of religion" that Americans have only applies to Christians? Bloody hell. Glad I don't live there.
That is the current hot topi of debate in our politics. Even though Obama is a Christian, he believes in a secular nation, so naturally, all of his opponents in the GOP are radical religionists who believe "freedom of religion" does not include freedom FROM religion.

Dapper Phantom

GunsmithKitten
black_wing_angel
A group of trolls that represent only themselves pick on someone over the internet.

...How is this news?

Black, this is going beyond trolling.

Did you read this s**t? They're planning violence...

✮AJ Saiηt✮: Lets all jump that girl who did the banner #********

Alyssa Pingitore: "@gianna_noell: Nothing bad better happen tomorrow #justsaying #fridaythe13th"

Zach The Dog: ******** Jessica alquist I'll drop anchor on her face

(Twitter) Caleb McDevitt: definelty laying it down on this atheist tomorrow anyone else? (Twitter)

(Twitter) Im Dante Smith: @jvezina022 hail Mary full of grace @jessicaalquist is gonna get punched in the face

(Twitter) Cracked Lens: @jessicaalquist your home address posted online i cant wait to hear about you getting curb stomped you ******** worthless c**t

(Twitter) Alexandra Vachon: @AjSaint Jessica alquist
(Twitter) ✮AJ Saiηt✮: @alexandraa_x7 I found it, what a little b***h lol I wanna snuff her

(Twitter) Alexandra Vachon: @Claudiaaox this girl honestly needs to be punched in the face #justsaying

(Twitter) ✮AJ Saiηt✮: @etr131 lol I wanna stick that b***h lol

(Twitter) ✮AJ Saiηt✮: Brb ima go drown that atheist in holy water 

I could be wrong, Black, but when you threaten to drown or snuff someone, that constitutes a crime, does it not?
You would be able to answer this.

Wasn't he an atheist like, 2 months ago? Like I swear he's born-again or a Christian troll (aka still an atheist).

Dapper Phantom

Fireweed_honey
Captain Verd

I personally don't see how it's true. I see a pretty large subculture of Christians who sin and then repent, sin then repent. They treat people like total s**t for not being Christian, OR, they are like really nice in person, but stab you in the back later. It is SO common. We hear about it happening mostly to LGBT kids. Almost everyone has that "crazy Christian friend/acquaintance". It's not like they're the rare hermits that you only see once in a blue moon.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff