Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hopefully another twilight themed thread won't anger the masses, if so, I apologize, but hear me out.

Now, I'm not a fan of twilight, and perhaps it's my own lack of literary prowess but I don't necessarily agree when people say it's poorly written. I do think the characters are horribly written, but not the entirety of the book, or at least, not any worse than what's already out there.

You've obviously come here because you have something to say about the title, and I want to hear it:

Do you think twilight is poorly written, and why? Or do you think the opposite, and why? Long replies, with examples, quotes, comparisons, etc are SO WELCOME. Also, I'd love to know what you think an example of a well written book is, again, examples, quotes, whole PASSAGES and the like are what I'm after.

Happy discussion-ing! smile
I don't wish to say much on this topic, but I suppose I could pass a few words.

I don't think "Twilight" is that badly written. Yes, it may not be very well written, but its standard, in my opinion, isn't as poor as some people make it out to be. I'm willing to bet that half of the people who complain about Stephenie Meyer's writing cannot write half as well as she.

Then again, such issues are really subjective, so I suppose there is no point in talking about this, at least for now.
I will be the first to profess an intense dislike of Twilight and say that it was poorly written. There was a serious glut of adverbs - always annoying - and such purple prose and overdescription when it came to Edward, it felt that everything else was just an afterthought. Edward first, and then the plot, which appearead after nearly 300 pages, half-choked to death.

There's my little rant. I'll depart now.

Romantic Genius

I shall be the second to announce a severe dislike for Twilight.

I do think it was poorly written because she only focuses on Edward and Bella. Also her sentence structures are rather weak.

She makes Bella fall in love with Edward immediatley and she becomes obsessed with him. And the story is in the POV of Bella you see Edward as this *perfect* person, which he is not.
Edward is very controlling. When he leaves Bella in New Moon he takes away everything (photos, items he gave her) to control the rate at which she forgot him and got over him. Edward is also constantly reminding Bella how frail she is and how easily he could hurt her, but what he did hurt her in a very profound, emotional way.

I really dislike how Meyer portrays that a girl will fall for the firt hot guy she sees. It is fairly disgusting because it gets the image out there that girls only go for looks, and yeah, some do but not all.

I will admit that the general idea of the story was a good one.

Some of the books that I like that I do consider to be good reads are anything by Terry Brooks, Cassandra Clare, Philip Pullman and Garth Nix (his Abhorsen Trilogy). Those are more for young adults.
Terry Brooks has about 20 books out in his shannara series and he manages to come up with a different plot for most of the books. It is really neat how he connects the whole thing.
Cassandra Clare is working on her first YA series, the Mortal Instruments. She has the first two out. They are a very different story that pulls you in and grips you until the end.
Philip Pullman and th His Dark Material series is amazing. The thing with this series is that individually they are not spectacular, you need to read all three to get the true sense of it.
Garth Nix is one of my personal favorite authors. His abhorsen trilogy is wonderfully done, and is soo completely outside the box of normal fantasy.
Because Meyer fails at writing first person.

Seriously, go to the books suboforum and look up the anti-Twilight thread. They have everything you want to hear there and more. neutral
I flipped through it once and found this.

Average Twilight Paragraph:

He lay down. He stood up. He hugged her. The other man did something. The man with black hair did this.

An obvious oversimplification, but has anyone else noticed that nearly EVERY sentence follows the subject-verb-object format?
As much as it would be helpful to my argument to look up passages, I don't feel the need to.

Meyers is not logical. When I was reading those books (only did the first two, pressed by my friends) I often felt like punching the author in the face. I don't know how many times I had to hear about Edward's liquid topaz eyes. Or his marble or whatever rock it was skin. There were things that just didn't make sense (aside from the fact that the vampires...what, sparkle like fairies in the sun?)

I remember a scene where Edward was laying down with Bella, and he had to put a blanket between himself and her because his skin was supposedly so cold. You'd figure, he's dead and lacks the need for homeostasis, but...would he really be that much colder than the room they were in? What's with the sub-zero s**t?

I think a lot of people also dislike the fact that she likes to lead them through some fussy girl's boring school life, and then throw a plot in within the last...what, five chapters of the book? I've asked several people why they like to book, and most of them were little girls who said "because Edward's hot."

The second book was worse than the first, and I hadn't thought it possible. Bella spends the whole thing being emo about the loss of her shining star Edward, the only unnusual thing in her life, when there's a WEREWOLF who's got the hots for her, who's a shitload more considerate and genuine than vampire boy. I could go on. And on.
Overall I think twilight and the whole of the stephenie Meyer series
Twilight,New moon, Eclipse, and Breaking dawn are not poorly written. since they kep the momentum of the story going , and they include most of the detail.

However it get can too predictable which is really shown in the first book of the series since you can guess what Bella is going to do, and you can assume that Victoria would avenge her fellow nomad's life (James). The story is also stereotypical since it uses the same ideas of feeling alone with Bella, and sometimes with Edward. It is also overdramatic with Bella constanlty longing for Edward. yet I like how it's written. As a 15 year old girl i guess i'm withing the teenage demographic that are expected to love twilight and as of right now adroe Edward. But I don't adore Edward . Instead I t hink that twilight is good book that everyone can understand, and appreciate for different reasons for example: I think the Edward's character is quite good since as the reader you know that he hasn't connected with someone for about a thousand years, so readers will know finiding bella is important,. However there's a twist that he could kill Bella.

Yet the best thing about twilight is how the storyline develops; as most people are only thinking of the first book that only sets out the main characters, themes and hinting at possible futures. such as Bella's faility (keep reading), this leads to the third book Eclipse when we get to meet the "governing" body of vampires which allows you to compare the different lifestyles, and with Carlise's family you could wonder what makes them so close.

Summing this up (sigh-thank go i think i could here most of your internal monologues from the those who hate tiwlight and thos who "hate" twilight as it's a general feeling of a crowd that's easy to fall into). Twilight is overdramatic , stereoptypicial and maybe a litlle drawn out. Although how many people would want the excitement from being in this storyline? I get very anooyed with the charaters escpecially Bella iin the first 2 books she adores Edward but who can say they haven't been stupidly lovesick for a guy who's slightly risky? I also despise when the third books part when Edward and Bella are enjoying their honeymoon. However the workings within the governing body of vampires, the relationships between vampires after the terrorising young vampire children who could not develop or the blood soaked wars of Southern America. Or the unique truce with Vampires and werewolves. They are overdramatic but they have enough tension to keep you reading.
i agree the twilight series was not as good as people make it out to be.
i disliked the last book, breakind dawn, the most.
Everythingjust worked out so perfectly, like a fary tale, and it wasn't writen very well. things were all over the place gonk

6,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Uh, am I the only person who noticed all the passive voice in Twilight? And seriously, in most cases, it was completely avoidable.
Coatimundi
Uh, am I the only person who noticed all the passive voice in Twilight? And seriously, in most cases, it was completely avoidable.

That was one of the things to stand out to me when I read a few pages on amazon.com. It was painful to read...
One thing that I'd like to say about the books is that she (Stephanie Meyer) makes the common mistake of "over research", as I like to call it. For instance, when Bella is speaking to Jacob about automobiles he talks about specific parts. Lets get one thing straight: nobody knows what that is, nor do we give a damn.
Second, although the idea of a boy saying "you're my own brand of heroin" sounds romantic, think of it from a practical perspective. Edward is more opressive than loving, I find. He takes her away from her family, her friends and most importantly herself. He stalks the poor girl, for the love of Pete!
It's not that I hated it. It just seemed like a little girl wrighting about random stuff one night before bed, and stretching it into a four book series. There didn't seem to be much planning, especially in Breaking Dawn where random character's just came and went. But the plot was cool. I think if she would have focused more on giving Bella a better personality and didn't make the entire book dedicated on how Edward just wanted to suck her blood until she was dead, it would have been better. Like, keeping his vampireness sectretive until at the least the second book would have made it a lot better. It seemed as though Bella just randomly rooted in a whole new place and fell in love in a few chapters. Sort of ruins it for everyone.
Kwek
I don't wish to say much on this topic, but I suppose I could pass a few words.

I don't think "Twilight" is that badly written. Yes, it may not be very well written, but its standard, in my opinion, isn't as poor as some people make it out to be. I'm willing to bet that half of the people who complain about Stephenie Meyer's writing cannot write half as well as she.

Then again, such issues are really subjective, so I suppose there is no point in talking about this, at least for now.

Someone hit him for me for that comment please? K, thanks.
You don't have to be a great writer to be able to look at Meyer's work and not realise that it, in one word, stinks.
Every other word, like every other word, I mean seriously, every, other, word, has, and I know, it's hard to believe, a, get this it's really good, comma. Her descriptions are overblown and pathetic (who the hell would describe the cab of a truck as bulbous and her characters have all the depth of a puddle in an arid land. Her foundations are illogical (Vampire venom? Crystals are the skin? They sparkle in the sun but not in any other light?) and her execution terrible.

It' s**t and that's all there is to say about it.
It's teenage trash. Of course it'll be a horrible book.

The two things that irked me the most were its bland nature and oversimplification. I was outright bored by the previews of the movie; I understand it's supposed to be edgy, but the lack of color just makes my eyes droop. It just seems so overdramatic and pointless.
Also, I can't stand characters who instantly fall in love.

Also, vegetarian vampires??.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces