Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kingdom Hearts?

Genius! 0.66129032258065 66.1% [ 41 ]
Final Fantasy & Disney should never be mixed!!! 0.25806451612903 25.8% [ 16 ]
That game's a joke! 0.080645161290323 8.1% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 62 ]
1 2 3 >
In the Final Fantasy series they also have monsters with awkward names or attacks.
There's a bear called Ipooh and a zombie called StillGoin in FFVI. Can you name anymore?

This has nothing to do with the topic. Anyway...
I find it hilarious how you can find a Stray Cat and just kill it. I think Square was trying to encourage you to go outside with a kitchen knife or whatever and go kill whatever animal that passes by.

......Don't take me seriously on that!
Malborro...it kinda sounds like those cigarettes, Marlborro. Heh, explains 'Bad Breath' though.
I've always wondered about the Marlboro and Marlboro cigarette thing. Maybe square did it deliberately?

IRL Gekko

8,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
I reckon its deliberate honestly. >>
Zekeroth
I reckon its deliberate honestly. >>

I wouldn't doubt it. Unless, of course, there's some legend about a creature called a Marlboro- since a lot of the monsters in Final Fantasy are based off of some sort of myth or legend. I'd check around, but me-thinks that a tobacco company wouldn't name their product after a creature that brings pestilence on all around it. With that being said, I believe it was probably a deliberate reference. But, then again, when was the first Marlboro introduced in Final Fantasy?
Stray Cat was the localized name for the first Cait Siths. The idea was around in FF much longer then the actual FFVII character. Unfortunetly either the localizers for English Version FF's felt that U.S gamers wouldn't know s**t about what the name meant, or they themselves were clueless.

Either way, the name got dropped.

And yes. Malboro was changed to Oscar at first. I don't know exactly why. Probably the first set of localizers felt that there might be lawsuits?

Tonberry (Or dingleberry if you want a laugh) is one I was always curious about. It seems to have absalutly no meaning, Japanese, English, Historical or Folklore.
TheTonberryKing
Stray Cat was the localized name for the first Cait Siths. The idea was around in FF much longer then the actual FFVII character. Unfortunetly either the localizers for English Version FF's felt that U.S gamers wouldn't know s**t about what the name meant, or they themselves were clueless.

And yes. Malboro was changed to Oscar at first. I don't know exactly why. Probably the first set of localizers felt that there might be lawsuits?

Tonberry (Or dingleberry if you want a laugh) is one I was always curious about. It seems to have absalutly no meaning, Japanese, English, Historical or Folklore.

Tonberries are just there to be extra awesome, and make the player believe "Hey! It's a random battle and this thing is smaller than me. I believe I will fight!" Ah, good times! ^w^
I've heard so many theories on malboros brainwashing people into not smoking.

EDIT: Ah, I found the FFXII bestiary entry for malboros. "Being a hideous creature with greenish-brown mottled skin, and writhing tentacles. It eats only of flesh, drawing no sustenance from photosynthesis as do common plants. Favoring stealth, it approaches its prey in silence, then strikes without warning, swallowing its victim whole. Its maw is filled with powerfully acidic saliva, and breathing the miasma that is its foul breath causes poisoning and madness."

The bolded bits are what intrests me the most

3,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
Nephilimalch
TheTonberryKing

Tonberries are just there to be extra awesome, and make the player believe "Hey! It's a random battle and this thing is smaller than me. I believe I will fight!" Ah, good times! ^w^

agreed 3nodding
A lot of the original weaker bat monsters in Final Fantasy XI have some rather humorous names.

Ding Bats.
Acro Bat.
Wingrats.

Though some of the NPC names are far more amusing:

Reet
Wurteh
Shiny Teeth (Galka NPCs tend to have names in the form of Adjective Noun)
Loloroon
Yabehbeh
who names a person cloud?
who would name an attack climhazzard?
what is a climhazzard!?!?!?
the alien from FFVIII:
poo-poo
WTF?!?!?!?
You want funny monster names? Try most of the NMs in FFXI. Like all the malboros. There's Jaded Jody, Voluptous Vivian who (theoretically) changes into voluptious Vilma when left alone, King Athro (who's a crab), Capricious Cassie, Bubbly Bernie, Bigmouth Billy, Jolly Green and so forth....

Seriously, check out a bestiary for FFXI. I promise you'll at least say "WTF?!OMGLOL!!"

Apocalyptic Prophet

I think one of the strangest monster names I've come across was in FFVII. It was one of the frog-type monsters, and it was called "Touch Me". Naughty little froggy. ;D

9,350 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Cloud
Squall

What's with the weather theme?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items