Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Gekko

Hi, could someone please help me i'm quite desperate...

How do you think Harmen Steenwyck's Still Life: An Allegory of the Vanities of Human Life (1640) shows postmodernism?

Thank you so much to those who answer. whee

Fashionable Gekko

or not, that's cool to
emo
Well, I won't give a straight answer because this sounds suspiciously like homework, but you could start with looking at how Postmodernism is defined and what are the characteristics and use those to answer your question.

You could also look at how ahead for its time this piece is because, unless I'm much mistaken and not paying attention in Art History, Postmodernism happened somewhere in the beginning of the 20th century.

Shapeshifter

User Image Seconded that I didn't respond because it sounds like homework.

Sounds like something that just requires a little research. I don't know this individual off the top of my head and post modernism is not really my field of study. Look at textbooks, libraries... you have the internet.

Trafficker

Mahiru Suoh
You could also look at how ahead for its time this piece is because, unless I'm much mistaken and not paying attention in Art History, Postmodernism happened somewhere in the beginning of the 20th century.

Yeah, it's too anachronistic to be a formal part of Postmodernism.

(Postmodernism resides more in the latter half of the 20th century; the beginning is capital-M-Modernism)

But the teacher who asked this prompt is crafty (or obvious, depending on how familiar one is with this stuff). It has sensibilities that can be interpreted as such, and those same ones can also NOT be interpreted as such.

This is actually interesting stuff; too bad people don't bring it up outside of homework. :P

Enduring Gaian

Mahiru Suoh
Well, I won't give a straight answer because this sounds suspiciously like homework, but you could start with looking at how Postmodernism is defined and what are the characteristics and use those to answer your question.

I thought it was after the 50's anyway.
God-the-almighty
Mahiru Suoh

Haha, this is the second time I've been quoted today for my error.

I'm just brain-dead when it comes to remembering when certain parts happened in history.

Enduring Gaian

Mahiru Suoh
God-the-almighty
Mahiru Suoh

I'm just brain-dead when it comes to remembering when certain parts happened in history.
I'm probably worse, I never took an art history class.

Prophet

God-the-almighty
Mahiru Suoh
God-the-almighty
Mahiru Suoh

Post modern is usually the 80's. The rise of activist art is a definition I've seen as being popular. The 50's, you were still in the heat of modernism. De Kooning and Rauschenberg were only getting started in the 50's and Johns was still just a teeny tiny baby artist who lived with Rauschenberg.
Do your own homework. If you can get to Gaia, you know where Wikipedia is.

Enduring Gaian

NuMedia Millie
God-the-almighty
Mahiru Suoh
God-the-almighty
Mahiru Suoh

Post modern is usually the 80's. The rise of activist art is a definition I've seen as being popular. The 50's, you were still in the heat of modernism. De Kooning and Rauschenberg were only getting started in the 50's and Johns was still just a teeny tiny baby artist who lived with Rauschenberg.
So my teen years were in the post modern era. I wonder how much MTV had an influence considering it completely changed how music was advertised and had a big influence on I want to say pop culture. A lot of the things developed as fillers for MTV later became influential shows on their own.

Aged Codger

IronSpike

This. It kills me how kids think they can wander onto a forum somewhere and have people do their homework for them. The point of doing homework is so you learn how to do proper research and problem solving on your own.

Prophet

God-the-almighty
NuMedia Millie
God-the-almighty
Mahiru Suoh
God-the-almighty
Mahiru Suoh

So my teen years were in the post modern era. I wonder how much MTV had an influence considering it completely changed how music was advertised and had a big influence on I want to say pop culture. A lot of the things developed as fillers for MTV later became influential shows on their own.
MTV cannot go without mention when discussing pop culture for sure.

Enduring Gaian

NuMedia Millie
God-the-almighty
NuMedia Millie
God-the-almighty
Mahiru Suoh

MTV cannot go without mention when discussing pop culture for sure.
I remember when it came out.

Fashionable Gekko

Annie Felis
IronSpike

This. It kills me how kids think they can wander onto a forum somewhere and have people do their homework for them. The point of doing homework is so you learn how to do proper research and problem solving on your own.

I wasn't for homework as such actually it was for an assignment that i had done, but I needed quotes from others and their opinions on it, because the quotes from my methodologies where things like "i don't understand" or "n/a".
But you know it's cool I just tried elaborating on those quotes, because i got so much help from here :/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games