Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

TheMightyLeprechaun
I DON"T know the answer! Why do you think I ask! Isn't that what people do?
Well what exactly do you want to know. Dice rolls and random number generators are both methods of picking a random number. They are both considered to be relatively unpredictable (which is what makes them random) but mathematically they have different statistical weaknesses.

You should be more specific in your question if you want a more specific answer.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPn1/gAAoJEMco5sYyM+0wBmoIAJ5Y7PeDlrjTJWGnd2eVvLwA
B2Km01RvKtfr2lrn9DQ43mIZ549fcGyLU1DiaTFKkaVVSvilMugtq7+qC5zoTuWi
IEAgix1Wl6R1qB/m2leIhBerNrr15WNdot5OfPsAopfEvwIPiQeiUAoNZOdtDcu8
b1ZySf9AgySWG11EZMn9jwtyPP1vvJxCaHcu0gqgYSOCFeNWNTOCilSd+z3EsyW1
5ZNmDME2czV+J5MRu1pTy3goFMPEQusz7SrzwErv+tTu1CHvTxDlt3HR1QZdJF/Q
cG4mVqU46jBYpSeljOBKwxy7CfiF48pSPHnUBNmdKE6zIvSaaNqD7mSxwMj+q3o=
=GjlU
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Rolling a die is true random, while number generators are not truly random. They are very, very random, but they use algorithms that could be figured out, and you could predict the next number in the sequence.

For most any use though, they're essentially the same.

Dangerous Wrangler

7,950 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Flatterer 200
Tesarect
Rolling a die is true random, while number generators are not truly random. They are very, very random, but they use algorithms that could be figured out, and you could predict the next number in the sequence.

Thank you for givin' me an answer and not some hate mail! XD
I am now a fan!
TheMightyLeprechaun
Tesarect

Thank you for givin' me an answer and not some hate mail! XD
I am now a fan!

Haha, you're welcome! Glad I could help.

Come to think of it, there would be a lot less spammy/irrelevant posts in this topic if someone would have just answered the question at the beginning...
I thought this was a scripting question...
Tesarect

This is true in several respects, but not strictly correct, and certainly misses some important details:

There are several types of pseudo-random number generator algorithms, and these algorithms have different kinds of statistical patterns. They are not truly random, of course, but there are several different degrees of randomness. Virtually all of them have periodicity - that is, they repeat the sequence after a while. (For example, the Mersenne Twister has a period of 2¹⁹⁹³⁷ - 1, while the more common Xorshift algorithm has a period of 2¹²⁸ - 1. There are many more better algorithms.)

Some other algorithms (like those used in OpenSSL when generating a certificate or RANDOM.org's radio receivers) collect entropy that is used to produce truly (or as near to true as possible) random sequences.

A dice roll is not nearly as random. Indeed, the density distribution and specific gravity of the die, as well as the rolling surface and the milling of the die's sides can unbalance it to the point that it tends to "prefer" a certain set of numbers. Most experienced tabletop RPG players will check the average roll of the die (roll it dozens of times, and average the result) to make sure it's close to half the die's number of sides (the target is n/2+0.5, where n is the number if sides.) If it isn't, the die is out of balance and will produce unfair (and less-random) rolls.

8,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

psychic stalker
Tesarect

This is true in several respects, but not strictly correct, and certainly misses some important details:

There are several types of pseudo-random number generator algorithms, and these algorithms have different kinds of statistical patterns. They are not truly random, of course, but there are several different degrees of randomness. Virtually all of them have periodicity - that is, they repeat the sequence after a while. (For example, the Mersenne Twister has a period of 2¹⁹⁹³⁷ - 1, while the more common Xorshift algorithm has a period of 2¹²⁸ - 1. There are many more better algorithms.)

Some other algorithms (like those used in OpenSSL when generating a certificate or RANDOM.org's radio receivers) collect entropy that is used to produce truly (or as near to true as possible) random sequences.

A dice roll is not nearly as random. Indeed, the density distribution and specific gravity of the die, as well as the rolling surface and the milling of the die's sides can unbalance it to the point that it tends to "prefer" a certain set of numbers. Most experienced tabletop RPG players will check the average roll of the die (roll it dozens of times, and average the result) to make sure it's close to half the die's number of sides (the target is n/2+0.5, where n is the number if sides.) If it isn't, the die is out of balance and will produce unfair (and less-random) rolls.
Additionally, there are people who claim to be able to manipulate the dice in such a way as to roll a higher average with a fair set of dice. Often they use techniques such as trying to control and reduce how many times the die turns. Just as with knife throwing, fewer turns means better control and accuracy.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPn4AMAAoJEMco5sYyM+0wzAkH/0L2EZM4Wz8a106mY/0RvFe2
e1br1ircqpGZ4n2/7wVVZP215LJfxAbtsHv3QsZ/l5NTfga5bSnNkFIunZ36F5mz
j6ZskIC+cseVBnaGgmCrhosUJZMtcFYN+sf2ovls526RRPkxuXXWk0tk0R02qWls
aLOO/R63bM/HmQJsnfld/RTlFzwW08WDgnA8NBsXiY6EdIW9AbLtl8OrHlgzZr8M
KuoXcJyyvAvoTohvhoB6Vjp5UC8T5EgvA+C0blMH7xhpUld418DSNUhMILdIJx5d
MC9C+xPocQHNMdP9oeKK45M+ZfWKtR9CWS2bCmD2g27qxAHA/ECLzyigf+b8c/M=
=Oypp
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Dangerous Trader

TheMightyLeprechaun
GrimFusion
TheMightyLeprechaun

3. If he is in fact correct, then why doesn't he say where this goes? Why don't YOU say where this goes?

It could go in our Tech Talk forum, but it's still against forum rules to help users with homework questions in there too. You could ask a mod to move the topic, but I doubt it'd gain very many replies. Tech talk is slower than Computers and Technology, and since your topic doesn't have any conceivable real-world application, it'll likely just fall off the first page without a reply. That's why I didn't recommend moving it.

This is NOT homework. And yes it DOES have real world applications. I was asking the question to better understand how money/weapons etc drops work in a game that I have. A game that claims to have 87 bazillion guns. And thus compare it to yet another game, (personal project).

The way Borderlands' guns work from what I've been able to glean from the item creation program my roommate has: First the manufacturer of a gun is rolled, each manufacturer has some pieces only it may use. From that point it rolls the pieces of the gun itself, the stock, the barrel, scope, clip, and so on. Diagram follows:
User Image

A vaguely related piece of information is how the Runes in Diablo 2 are generated. First the loot roll determines what manner of loot you'll get, charm, rune, equipment, so on, and then it goes into the loot table. There is a determination based on the level of the mob you killed to how good of a reward you can get, and then it starts at the best rune you could get, and makes a roll, if it fails it moves on to the next best rune, until your loot roll succeeds.
griff simmons2
Aven Donn
TheMightyLeprechaun
Aven Donn
0o-Maximum Ride-o0
oh your just a nerd, get your panties out of a bunch

1. You say nerd like it's an insult.

2. You're too dumb to even properly say a common saying correctly.

3. He's absolutely right. There's a separate forum for this stuff.

1. To me, it doesn't sound like she is using nerd as an insult.

2. She is not dumb, nobody is (unless they are actually born retarded/mentally impaired), she may not know how the saying is actually said.

3. If he is in fact correct, then why doesn't he say where this goes? Why don't YOU say where this goes?

1. Subjective opinion. Did I ever claim otherwise?

2. Nobody is dumb...? So how do we call people who have no serious mental problem or genetic problem, that are just plain lacking in knowledge and logical capability? Besides, that excuse is silly, considering you can just Google the saying and get the correct version.

3. http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/c-t-tech-talk/f.91/

Oh that's right, it's too much to expect people to find the proper forum on their own. Science forbid they use their EYES to LOOK for SUBFORUMS.

Ok all you little bitches that are trying to rag on this guy, START ACTING YOUR AGE INSTEAD OF YOU d**k SIZE!!! ******** two year old. And by the way, here's and insult. If dicks had wings, your mouth would be a ******** airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_calling_the_kettle_black
If the number generator has its limit from 1 to 6 then its the same in some way with the rolling dice smile
rald25
If the number generator has its limit from 1 to 6 then its the same in some way with the rolling dice smile
To an extent.

After enough rolls, though, the number generator will repeat the sequence. The die will not.
Cool it people, we don't need a fight in here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games