Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why do you do lolita?

To look cute, looking childish are the cutest appearance 0.3780487804878 37.8% [ 31 ]
Following the trend 0.073170731707317 7.3% [ 6 ]
Forced by buddies 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Other reasons 0.54878048780488 54.9% [ 45 ]
Total Votes:[ 82 ]
1 2 3 4 >
You will be very surprised when you realize this 4 years old looking Asian doll are actually 22 years old.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Her other images : 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Other Asian dolls :
1 User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
2 User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8

Related to Anime, all of them already look like Anime characters even without trying or even without doing any Anime Cosplay.

The objective of lolita is to look child-like and she done that superbly.

Fashionable Lover

The main objective of Lolita isn't to look as young as possible, it is to look as doll-like as possible while maintaining modesty and obeying the rules of a certain fashion style. ^^ The girls that you link to are not Lolitas they are just Feizhuliu net idols (and some Korean Ulzzangs). Their style (especially of the ones you have shown) mostly comes from the typical Asian ulzzang look, nothing more.

Dapper Vampire

>look like 4 years old

I think 4 is pushing it a little, lol. They are not lolita but really cute nonetheless 3nodding

O.G. Gaian

8,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
that's not what 4 year olds look like neutral

Sparkly Shapeshifter

11,800 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I suspect you have never seen a 4 year old ... ever.

Profitable Businessman

I don't get what a bunch of random asian women has to do with lolita. They don't appear to be wearing lolita or anything similar.

Distinct Dabbler

5,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
< . > ....Wuuuut?

Have you never seen a child before...?

The youngest they look is maybe 14.

What does this have to do with Lolita again?
LOVE SHUFFLE
              The main objective of Lolita isn't to look as young as possible, it is to look as doll-like as possible while maintaining modesty and obeying the rules of a certain fashion style. ^^ The girls that you link to are not Lolitas they are just Feizhuliu net idols (and some Korean Ulzzangs). Their style (especially of the ones you have shown) mostly comes from the typical Asian ulzzang look, nothing more.

If it is trying to look like a doll then Ulzzang style are the best for it. As for doll, you know what kind of age dolls are based on? They are based on childrens age, I'm sure the lolita style also based on that kind of doll, not some kind of "adult" doll.

Anyway, 1 tips to look good doing lolita is by wearing a very high plaform shows because it will empasazie your "smallesness" especially taking pictute. This method are used by Japanese lolita and also Asian cosplayers.

Fashionable Lover

Actually Lolita isn't based upon baby-aged dolls. Lolita was originally created to mimic Victorian and Rococo Era porcelain dolls, and even certain Royal Doulton figurines (although Doulton figurines greatly vary in style).^^ Most of these dolls are young ladies which were then around 13 ~ 15 years old. So while youth is a part of Lolita it is the flawless prim and proper Victorian-esque appearance that makes Lolita a fashion rather than a take from Toddlers & Tiaras.

I lived in Japan for two years (and have gone back a few times on exchange) and I can honestly say I have never heard of such a technique used to make girls look smaller. Wearing such tall shoes increase your height which causes you to look bigger. It's like a girl dressing up for a dance: she wears heels to make her legs look longer and taller, not to make her frame look smaller. Sadly, wearing tall shoes do not have an effect of making girls look more petite, unless you are talking about the correlation between height and weight in which case a girl who is 5'11'' and weighs 130 pounds looks thinner than a girl who is 5'2'' and weight 130 pounds. (Either way it does not increase "smallness" as you say.)

Also high platforms are usually looked down upon in Lolita. Almost all Lolita style shoes are flat, although there seems to be a bit of lenience in the punk substyle. Also now it has become more acceptable to wear boots for Lolita but even still there is not a platform on them. I will admit that Rocking Horse shoes used to be a fad but it is long over and not too many lolitas wear them anymore.

I am not certain if you are trolling or just incredibly misinformed. I am only trying to keep others from becoming misinformed about the style and do not mean any harm to you. ^^ <3 The only thing you have said that I can agree with is that Ulzzang would in fact make lovely lolitas because they are known for having flawless pale(er) skin and often wear circle lenses to make their eyes appear bigger (and doll like even if it is not the intent) - or they are at least talented enough with photoshop to fake it all. ^^
Buki
that's not what 4 year olds look like neutral

That means you and anyone who comment like you haven't seen her other pictures yet.

LOVE SHUFFLE
              Actually Lolita isn't based upon baby-aged dolls. Lolita was originally created to mimic Victorian and Rococo Era porcelain dolls, and even certain Royal Doulton figurines (although Doulton figurines greatly vary in style).^^ Most of these dolls are young ladies which were then around 13 ~ 15 years old. So while youth is a part of Lolita it is the flawless prim and proper Victorian-esque appearance that makes Lolita a fashion rather than a take from Toddlers & Tiaras.

I believe lolita is originated from Japan and Japan never mention lolita inspired by european related cultures, fashion and tradition. I have more believes in the origin source than anyone else who make claims.

Quote:
I lived in Japan for two years (and have gone back a few times on exchange) and I can honestly say I have never heard of such a technique used to make girls look smaller. Wearing such tall shoes increase your height which causes you to look bigger. It's like a girl dressing up for a dance: she wears heels to make her legs look longer and taller, not to make her frame look smaller. Sadly, wearing tall shoes do not have an effect of making girls look more petite, unless you are talking about the correlation between height and weight in which case a girl who is 5'11'' and weighs 130 pounds looks thinner than a girl who is 5'2'' and weight 130 pounds. (Either way it does not increase "smallness" as you say.)

Also high platforms are usually looked down upon in Lolita. Almost all Lolita style shoes are flat, although there seems to be a bit of lenience in the punk substyle. Also now it has become more acceptable to wear boots for Lolita but even still there is not a platform on them. I will admit that Rocking Horse shoes used to be a fad but it is long over and not too many lolitas wear them anymore.

I think you never heard of that technique or have misunderstanding, the high plaform shoes I mentioned is the one that look like regular shoes [ not boots that cover up to your knee ] also not high heels or things like that. I will show you video if you want to see it from Chinese lolita dance video, I also can show you Japanese and Chinese cosplayers who did the same thing. Have you ever seen many Anime girls wearing exagerated stuffs including having gigantic weapons in Anime? The reason for that is to make them look way much more cuter because it shows their "fragile" side as a "children" looking characters.

Quote:
I am not certain if you are trolling or just incredibly misinformed. I am only trying to keep others from becoming misinformed about the style and do not mean any harm to you. ^^ <3 The only thing you have said that I can agree with is that Ulzzang would in fact make lovely lolitas because they are known for having flawless pale(er) skin and often wear circle lenses to make their eyes appear bigger (and doll like even if it is not the intent) - or they are at least talented enough with photoshop to fake it all. ^^

Maybe you need to deepen your study on lolita.

Fashionable Lover

I must say that I dearly hope people do not take the advice being shown by IklanID. It is clear he is a troll as his account is brand new and all of his posts have only been full of Asian-obsessed posts (aside from one about Justin Beiber) talking about how he has found pictures of Asian women with youthful faces. Oh and Gangnam Style - which anyone who has been following PSY or any music coming out of Korea since before the song debuted knows just how cultured IklanID must be. ^^

However for the sake of a discusion I am posting the following to clear up any misconceptions about Lolita style if some of the boys and girls interested in picking up the fashion decide to stop in this thread. For those newly into the idea of Lolita fashion, take a peek at other threads and what other lolitas have said about the fashion and you will know that the posts by everyone in the negation to what IklanID is saying is in fact correct while IklanID chooses to be an ignorant troll. c:

--

Everywhere from Gothic & Lolita, Japan Times, to even The New York Times (three every different sources, but I can name more if you like) all note that while the style was created in Japan it is heavily based on period clothing of the Victorian and Rococo Era. In Harajuku Cybergoth is, surprisingly, frequently seen there too however if you approach people on the street they call it Cyber-Kei which is now slowly growing into a mix of Cybergoth and Visual-Kei (which some do wear a blend of both styles). Just because the style has it's own Japanese name does not mean that the style wasn't inspired from roots outside of Japan. (Cybergoth is actually rooted in the UK.) If you open up Google you can find lots of resources about Lolita's heavy inspiration from Victorian and Rococo Era clothing. So while you may believe Lolita is purely Japan's creation anyone who can be bothered with researching it can see it's European influence.

Secondly, I do admit that cosplayers wear creepers, platform shoes, platform heels, and platform boots. Likewise there are plenty of Japanese girl groups that wear platforms as well. I am Chinese and since I was born and lived in Hong Kong up until five years ago, I think I have seen more Chinese music videos that you. I could show you videos of Americans wearing platforms, British wearing platforms, Finnish wearing platforms, and everyone else in between. The only thing that would convince me that Lolita should wear platforms to look smaller was if you had a very influential Lolita icon (Mana for example) saying that platforms help girls look more petite. Since I doubt you can understand Japanese (read, speak, write) I do not expect to see any proof anytime soon. Likewise I doubt there will be a sudden increase in Lolita's wearing platforms - unless there is a huge increase of lolitas branching into the punk substyle.

Or should I make things simpler on you - show me one Asian article that defends that platforms make girls have more "smallness," as you say. I speak, read, and write Cantonese and Mandarin fluently. I also speak Japanese near fluently and I can read and write well enough to understand almost any article you could possibly send me. Until such an article is published and either an influential lolita or group of lolitas adhear to the idea and it becomes a statement seen in Harajuku and throughout fashion magazines I will cease to believe that such an idea actually exists and it is not just the blind leading the blind. ^^
She doesn't look four, and the main objective of Lolita is nothing to do with dolls (if you are a Lolita and want to look like a doll then that's fine, good for you, but that doesn't mean we're all dollies).

Sparkling Senshi

10,300 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
LOVE SHUFFLE

Just on a side-note... I wouldn't say most lolita shoes are flat. AP's tea parties are flat, but most BTSSB and IW shoes have a heel... as do some of AP's other shoes. BTSSB has a RHS-like platform out right now too. 3nodding

Fashionable Lover

I said almost all in which if I take a look at all of the Lolita Brand shoes (and I am including Indie Brands which add to both spectrums of the scale) most Lolita shoes are still flat, although BTSSB latest work often includes a small heel that is 1 ~ 1.5 inches tall (which I honestly prefer over flats as low heels hurt my feet less haha~). I think such a small heel is definitely not a platform (as they have no platform to them, it's just an itty bitty [but thick] heel.)

So I suppose I should have said flats and small heels make up almost all Lolita shoes. I have seen the occasional "platform" but most all of them are rounded out near the toe making the shoes have more of a "rocking horse" shoe effect rather than a bulky platform. (Although I believe BTSSB does have one out that doesn't have the rounded toe. If I am recalling correctly it has a ton of bows on it? It could be another brand I am thinking of.....now I need to investigate haha~)

Profitable Businessman

LOVE SHUFFLE

OP is probably a troll, but what you say about platform shoes intrigues me. I've seen it done quite a bit. My most worn pair of shoes are actually these:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I wasn't aware that people were looking down on my shoes! I think they work well with OTT sweet. I also am a wearer of rocking horse shoes and think they go really well with modern lolita, not just oldschool

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff