Welcome to Gaia! ::

I just got around to posting this. Procrastination and all.
But given the i5 and the 670 ftw, what would the minimum psu needed for both of those be? Any good recommendations?
I'm almost certain a 450w wouldn't work even if I wasn't planning on overclocking.
Somerandomnoobie
I just got around to posting this. Procrastination and all.
But given the i5 and the 670 ftw, what would the minimum psu needed for both of those be? Any good recommendations?
I'm almost certain a 450w wouldn't work even if I wasn't planning on overclocking.
A high-quality 450W would probably work actually, but it's certainly not the safest bet. A 600W power supply would be plenty.

As the power benchmarks here will tell you a GTX 670 system will consume about 300W under full load. That test system is with a hex-core overclocked Sandy Bridge-E chip too, which will be using a fair chunk more power (easily upwards of 50W) under load than any i5.

So again, a good 450W PSU - single 12V rail of ~35A, 80PLUS Silver/Gold, etc - should be able to handle that reliably, but to hit that 50% power efficiency sweet spot while under full load you'll want something in the 550-600W range.

Genius

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Use a PSU calculator to estimate for safety, 600W should be OK though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games