Omnipresent Glitch

14,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Cari the Bunny
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny

Just because she says ''Let it go'' doesn't mean I can.
The term is used as a joke within my friends and highly promoted, yet I don't say anything because everyone thinks it makes you sound like an over sensitive baby. Which is bullshit. If you're hurting someone you should be confronted about it, not blow them off...
Because of this belief that it should just 'let it go' others get shunned. Seriously? If they're getting offended over cursing or 'derp' that's one thing. But if it caused serious PHYSICAL pain, why should it be brushed off?
Although I know Gaia well enough there's a ton of ignorant assholes(See: The one who hasn't experience rape therefor he wouldn't be able to make any comparisons.)

User Image The Way of the Sword User Image
~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

Yes, I quite agree. It's not so easy to let something go, or heal from the emotional trauma. Sometimes it never goes away, and you will always carry it with you... But you know, that doesn't mean it can't become a simple scar.

I really think you need to talk to your friends. I think they're not very nice if they've actually said you're being a baby when you brought up your issues with it. While they don't have to, it's certainly better to help you through it. I don't want to be too presumptuous, but it's probably not helping you heal.

This is one of the "where is the line" issues. You draw it before rape, which makes sense, but there's no definite scale, so what's the least traumatic thing that can happen to you after crossing the line? What's at the absolute top? Why do you get to decide where swearing is on that scale?

Unfortunately, that's not just Gaia... it's the world. All those feelings don't disappear when you log off, just get buried deeper under smiles.

On another topic I didn't tackle earlier...
"but not a single person is made 'stronger' and more self aware in a healthy form from rape like it would in a gun situation"
I'm having trouble figuring out what you're saying here. At first it sounded like you can never recover from rape, yet a gunshot wound is recoverable. Is a "healthy" way to take a bullet "wow, I just almost died while assisting somebody!"?

Well you're not, I haven't heard it once a woman say ''Oh yeah, my trust for men didn't go down at all.'' or ''Because I was 'asking for it' it's acceptable and I just have to move on.''
But this is rape culture, and last time I checked there's no 'gun culture'. Which would make it about equal if there was discrimination like ''YOU ASKED TO BE SHOT.''.
A shot you can heal from
A scar can fade
Nightmares might never stop
You can't 'heal' from an STD, AIDS, or the body memories from it. You might still feel the gunshot, but you can take medicine for that. Body memories you can't do anything about and you get to relive it over and over. Extreme case then yeah, that's not heal-able being shot, not completely at least. With every event like this it does leave a mark on the person, and does change them.
But my point was originally(Before Random replied to me) It's. Not. Choice. It's never a choice to be triggered, which for some people the word rape is triggering.(Trigger means you basically send them into a panic attack) It's not about ''Oh, I don't like that word.'', I know people it's actually harmful towards, yet they told they're rude for it. I know that's how kids work because they don't understand and rape culture has a good grasp, but that doesn't excuse silencing.

The point I was making with Random is they are not the same, point blank. If you've only lived through one then you can't compare. If you've never tasted an orange you can't compare it to an apple. PS he has yet to disagree on being an a*****e,.

because you just love ******** summoning me.

point me to this magical drug that will GIVE ME THE FULL USE OF MY GODDAMNED RIGHT PINKY AND RING FINGER.

I can compare getting shot/beat up to getting raped because what is the difference? There is still the emotional impact of having to look at your arm and realize your bleeding out. there is still the emotional impact of realizing i CANNOT MOVE MY ******** PINKY DUE TO A ******** GUNSHOT TO THE ******** ARM

And your going to say that i can magically be healed of a gunshot over a rape (which having a p***s in your v****a is a lot more natural than having a piece of lead tear nerve endings, muscle, and all the other crap in your arm)

Please, get off your high horse.

I'm not asking for sympathy, i got over my issue a long time ago, i will not stand idly while you belittle my actions and provide jack s**t to back yourself up.
I think that the thing here that needs to be addressed is the fact that (and this has been mentioned) the world outside of zOMG! is full of potential triggers.

People will always be people - the good bits AND the bad - and to educate the entirety of the population to the point where no one person makes a mistake and says or does something to trigger intense emotion in another person would be entirely impossible. You'd be looking at dealing with factors including the sheer numbers of people to educate, how to reach those masses, and which educational approach will get your point across without turning the person off to the idea you're trying to express.

The numbers of those who have crippling triggers are much less than those who will potential trigger the episode - the entire population is at risk to trigger, as well as survivors of the same or different traumas.

A reasonable alternative, then, is to reach out to those who have been hurt and are more likely to have triggers in the first place - survivors of all sorts of purposeful or accidental harm, whether physical or mental in nature - and teach them ways to cope when an emotionally distressing episode has been triggered and perhaps ways to distract from potential 'trigger situations'.

It is just fine for the OP to have voiced the opinion that the phrase 'rape' is overused in a way that is emotionally uncomfortable. It is rude to take the extreme of either side, in my opinion. Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - is at the same point emotionally as you, period. We're all wired differently and we're all subject to different upbringings. Ease it up and be kind to each other.

Tipsy Businessman

8,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny

The term is used as a joke within my friends and highly promoted, yet I don't say anything because everyone thinks it makes you sound like an over sensitive baby. Which is bullshit. If you're hurting someone you should be confronted about it, not blow them off...
Because of this belief that it should just 'let it go' others get shunned. Seriously? If they're getting offended over cursing or 'derp' that's one thing. But if it caused serious PHYSICAL pain, why should it be brushed off?
Although I know Gaia well enough there's a ton of ignorant assholes(See: The one who hasn't experience rape therefor he wouldn't be able to make any comparisons.)

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

Yes, I quite agree. It's not so easy to let something go, or heal from the emotional trauma. Sometimes it never goes away, and you will always carry it with you... But you know, that doesn't mean it can't become a simple scar.

I really think you need to talk to your friends. I think they're not very nice if they've actually said you're being a baby when you brought up your issues with it. While they don't have to, it's certainly better to help you through it. I don't want to be too presumptuous, but it's probably not helping you heal.

This is one of the "where is the line" issues. You draw it before rape, which makes sense, but there's no definite scale, so what's the least traumatic thing that can happen to you after crossing the line? What's at the absolute top? Why do you get to decide where swearing is on that scale?

Unfortunately, that's not just Gaia... it's the world. All those feelings don't disappear when you log off, just get buried deeper under smiles.

"but not a single person is made 'stronger' and more self aware in a healthy form from rape like it would in a gun situation"
I'm having trouble figuring out what you're saying here. At first it sounded like you can never recover from rape, yet a gunshot wound is recoverable. Is a "healthy" way to take a bullet "wow, I just almost died while assisting somebody!"?

Well you're not, I haven't heard it once a woman say ''Oh yeah, my trust for men didn't go down at all.'' or ''Because I was 'asking for it' it's acceptable and I just have to move on.''
But this is rape culture, and last time I checked there's no 'gun culture'. Which would make it about equal if there was discrimination like ''YOU ASKED TO BE SHOT.''.
A shot you can heal from
A scar can fade
You can't 'heal' from an STD, AIDS, or the body memories from it. You might still feel the gunshot, but you can take medicine for that. Body memories you can't do anything about and you get to relive it over and over. Extreme case then yeah, that's not heal-able being shot, not completely at least. With every event like this it does leave a mark on the person, and does change them.
But my point was originally(Before Random replied to me) It's. Not. Choice. It's never a choice to be triggered, which for some people the word rape is triggering.(Trigger means you basically send them into a panic attack) It's not about ''Oh, I don't like that word.'', I know people it's actually harmful towards, yet they told they're rude for it. I know that's how kids work because they don't understand and rape culture has a good grasp, but that doesn't excuse silencing.

The point I was making with Random is they are not the same, point blank. If you've only lived through one then you can't compare. If you've never tasted an orange you can't compare it to an apple. PS he has yet to disagree on being an a*****e,.

point me to this magical drug that will GIVE ME THE FULL USE OF MY GODDAMNED RIGHT PINKY AND RING FINGER.

I can compare getting shot/beat up to getting raped because what is the difference? There is still the emotional impact of having to look at your arm and realize your bleeding out. there is still the emotional impact of realizing i CANNOT MOVE MY ******** PINKY DUE TO A ******** GUNSHOT TO THE ******** ARM

And your going to say that i can magically be healed of a gunshot over a rape (which having a p***s in your v****a is a lot more natural than having a piece of lead tear nerve endings, muscle, and all the other crap in your arm)

I'm not asking for sympathy, i got over my issue a long time ago, i will not stand idly while you belittle my actions and provide jack s**t to back yourself up.

And yet you still think your pain is higher than anyone else.
Point proven. Maybe when you take a d**k to the a*****e against your will you'll get it.

Omnipresent Glitch

14,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Cari the Bunny
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

A shot you can heal from
A scar can fade

Point proven.

No, i don't

you appear to believe rape is the end all worst possible thing that could happen to a person.

it isn't.

you know it, i know it. the world knows it. its just another fact of life.

and might i point out, that your current avatar does indeed suggest rape?

Tipsy Businessman

8,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

A shot you can heal from
A scar can fade

Point proven.

No, i don't

you appear to believe rape is the end all worst possible thing that could happen to a person.

it isn't.

you know it, i know it. the world knows it. its just another fact of life.

and might i point out, that your current avatar does indeed suggest rape?

...It's a shadow creature from behind, that would be used in a religious sense. A suggestion of rape would be something from the front, and wouldn't have eyes. It's only NOTHING to you because YOU'VE never had to deal with it, and will NEVER have that problem. But oohh, you got shot so you can say ''lol get over it if he got you knocked up/gave you an incurable disease that could kill you/society calls you a slut every day now if you speak/you're seen lower than trash now and what he did was okay/you're life has been altered forever. But hey, I lost my finger trying to help a slut like you.'' Think this doesn't happen? You should, you're one of the causes.
Nice rape culture though. Or ignorance, which ever.

Shy Werewolf

Cari the Bunny

A shot you can heal from
A scar can fade

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

I'm sorry... I'm not 'what'?
Again, he nor I were trying for victim-blaming. And in both cases you can take medicine to ease the suffering; both instances can have permanent effects, like how Random still has a messed up hand. (What if he'd lost the use of the entire arm?)

Ah, these "body memories" explain what you were getting at; I don't think either of us knew that you meant a more complex association between the word and action in your first post. For future reference, if you start out by explaining implicit memory and the theory of body memories, I think you'll have a more tempered reaction when asking for people to be more cautious about the use of the word. There's a lot of people who jump into the fray and simply man the turrets blindly, but starting out with a bit of information on the subject rather than firing can disorient and inform at the same time!

Thank you, this has been very informing. If you haven't told your friends about those things, definitely try, and if you have... well... I can't accurately measure the situation, but if they're not more understanding after that, all I can say is "new friends?" D:

PS: I think a break from here would be best, your lines to Random are doing more harm than good at the moment. :c

Omnipresent Glitch

14,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Cari the Bunny

...It's a shadow creature from behind, that would be used in a religious sense. A suggestion of rape would be something from the front, and wouldn't have eyes. It's only NOTHING to you because YOU'VE never had to deal with it, and will NEVER have that problem. But oohh, you got shot so you can say ''lol get over it if he got you knocked up/gave you an incurable disease that could kill you/society calls you a slut every day now if you speak/you're seen lower than trash now and what he did was okay/you're life has been altered forever. But hey, I lost my finger trying to help a slut like you.'' Think this doesn't happen? You should, you're one of the causes.
Nice rape culture though. Or ignorance, which ever.

Because you still don't get it (i honestly believe your trolling me, but whatever)

The woman's name was Anna, her daughters' names were Taylor and Samantha (Sam, she told me liked to be called when she visited me after i came out of surgery)

I was 14 at the time, the girls were 5 and 7 (respectively to the names above). this was 1 year and 7 months ago in may.

Their mom wasn't just "some slut" yeah, she probably made a few bad decisions, but who hasn't? she was 28 at the time.

If i had taken the bullet just a bit more to the right, i could have taken it to the neck, the lung, or even the heart. That s**t is real, i was ******** lucky.

If you honestly believe i don't get made fun of for being crippled (and black, although i doubt the two are related...), then i doubt there is any humanity left in you.

I might not have been infected by an STD or gotten pregnant (last i checked, guys don't), but i get to live my life without being able to do a successful crack of the knuckles like in an old western movie.

Feel free to go ahead and belittle me again, just know that i have added you to my ignore list (which i should have done before my first quote of you) and will not be responding.

I am not the cause of your issues. its close minded arrogant pricks like yourself who are.
Cari the Bunny" and "Random Acts of Awesome

I'd like to address both Cari and Random, here:

Random - you should know that a woman's reproductive system is only accepting of inserted objects when she's aroused. The vaginal corridor is rather like a balloon - small most of the time and becomes more elastic when excited. In the case of rape, there is no arousal. The pain is excruciating and there can be damage to internal organs, as well as ripped tissues causing massive bleeding. So to say that it's 'more natural' to be raped than to have a foreign object puncture and damage an arm... well, they're more similar than you'd think.

Cari - if you want to blindy make accusations, please remove yourself to the Chatterbox. Random NEVER said that you were a slut, nor did she say she was a martyr. She was trying to convey that physical wounds are emotionally traumatic, as are mental ones.

Edit: Ah, Random is a 'he'. Apologies, Random!

Newbie Noob

7,000 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100

6,600 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
Did Someone Say Rake?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Original Sex Symbol

8,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Millionaire 200
Purple Pimp Crusader
I was a victim of continuous sexual abuse as a child, and I didn't get to the point that I'm able to say that without shame by hiding from it.

Sure, we can censor the term, crack down on its use, treat it as if the word itself is as bad as the act of sexual rape. What does that further? What kind of progress can that make? Locking the idea in stasis and throwing away the key is not the way to handle this. Take a step back, look at context and intent, and if the context is wrong and the intent is malicious, then get upset. Otherwise, just let it go.

User ImageLove, Gimme love, gimme love, I don't need it...User Image

❥✖[Exactly. That took some great strength to say I am sure. It's hard to understand if it hasn't happened to you personally. It's true. But I agree it's a little premature to be getting angry, and YES, I have been Sexually Assaulted in the past. If you find it morally unethical, okay well then never sink to anyone's level by doing what others do with the term. But I have to repeat what you've all heard probably a million times now; There's multiple meanings to this word. It's like the word Holocaust. Many people associate it with the Genocide of the Jewish peoples, but It also means "Burnt Whole" In greek, "Catastrophe" in Yiddish, and "Burnt Offering" In hebrew. Are we going around trying to keep that word in the dark? No! If we do, then no one is aware of it ever happening. And I promise you that no Holocaust survivors are going to pipe up and say it's offensive. I do not believe it's much different with the word Rape. Holocaust to you may be a bad word, but would you get upset if someone used it in those terms? Maybe. Would you say it yourself? Don't think so. Should you make a thread about it? Absolutely not. At least not here. It was probably better asked in the Q&A forum. There is no clear intent on if the user is saying this word to be a d**k or not (unless they directly threaten you using the word in the forcable context), so it's not a reportable offense, and it's not against the Terms of Service. It's a no brainer for me, if you don't like it, suck it up. Not like making a thread is going to help things any, as you can already see.]❥✖

User ImageBut I'll take what I want from your Heart and I'll keep it..User Image

Original Sex Symbol

8,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Millionaire 200
Cari the Bunny

User ImageLove, Gimme love, gimme love, I don't need it...User Image

❥✖[I just want to share something with you. I've been in group sessions with rape victims before and I'll have you know while most do say that they may never trust men again, a Substantial amount believe they were assaulted because it was their own fault. Of course it's not, but a truly abused person will ask "what did I do to bring this upon myself?" Before they say "why did this person do this to me?". ]❥✖

User ImageBut I'll take what I want from your Heart and I'll keep it..User Image

Quotable Lunatic

Cari the Bunny
Yes, because you've been raped before, so you know exactly how it works. You're also female and not the type to victim blame, yes? Because saying it's a choice is victim blaming.
Also, don't come back at me with the rules of the internet bullshit, I don't listen to blatant ignorance.

I am a rape victim, and I believe it is a choice.

Through middle and high school, I was a nervous wreck- I was terrified of all my male teachers, jumpy around male students, and being anywhere without an adult female would send me into a panic attack. I let my childhood trauma rule my life, to the point where I cultivated a delusion that I was an alien, because I didn't even want to be the same species as the people who abused me. Everything I did and everyone I associated with was dictated by the thought, "will this end with me being raped?" Being a victim of rape was a dirty shame that had to be hidden from everyone, and that I was responsible for making sure didn't happen again.

About the time I finished high school, I realized that this was unhealthy in the extreme. I reached out. I got help. I opened up, and more than a decade after the fact, I finally started to heal. Instead of holding the wound close and letting it fester, I cleaned it out and let it close. I can speak to men now, even ones who look like my uncle and brother. I can leave the house alone. I no longer automatically label every male I see as a closet rapist, because I chose to heal. It took a while, but I did it.

So yes, it is a choice. It's not an easy one and it requires time and effort, but it is there. You can choose to let rape rule your life, or you can choose to kick it in the nuts and move on.

Destructive Loverboy

16,900 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200
RAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPE

May we please not get buthurt about the silliest things? Context, my friends.

I don't necessarily enjoy hearing others use the word, but I don't get upset about it. I just think it's a stupid way to sound 'cool'.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games