Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Businessman

8,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny
Yes, because you've been raped before, so you know exactly how it works. You're also female and not the type to victim blame, yes? Because saying it's a choice is victim blaming.
Also, don't come back at me with the rules of the internet bullshit, I don't listen to blatant ignorance.

User Image The Way of the Sword User Image
~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~
Take a step back here... Random was saying the choice is in being uncomfortable, not in being the victim. I don't believe that stance is correct, but it was not victim blaming.

I believe you're right, you can't just "get better"... but is forcing the world to change for you realistic? Will it even help?

PS: if you haven't already, please look at the bottom post on the first page.

I read the bottom, being a child abuse survivor myself I know it varies from person to person. Just because she says ''Let it go'' doesn't mean I can. The term is used as a joke within my friends and highly promoted, yet I don't say anything because everyone thinks it makes you sound like an over sensitive baby. Which is bullshit. If you're hurting someone you should be confronted about it, not blow them off like ''GOD IDC ABOUT YOUR 'OPINION' I DO WHAT I WANT.''
Because of this belief that it should just 'let it go' others get shunned. Seriously? If they're getting offended over cursing or 'derp' that's one thing. But if it caused serious PHYSICAL pain, why should it be brushed off? You can't change the world, that is impossible, but telling them their 'opinion' when it's not even THAT means nothing and you'll do whatever you want is acceptable?

Although I know Gaia well enough there's a ton of ignorant assholes(See: The one who hasn't experience rape therefor he wouldn't be able to make any comparisons.) so it's not ending any time soon. Doesn't mean I'm going to shut up and put up forever. I don't follow those rules, bitches. ~.~

Omnipresent Glitch

14,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Cari the Bunny
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny
Yes, because you've been raped before, so you know exactly how it works. You're also female and not the type to victim blame, yes? Because saying it's a choice is victim blaming.
Also, don't come back at me with the rules of the internet bullshit, I don't listen to blatant ignorance.

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~
Take a step back here... Random was saying the choice is in being uncomfortable, not in being the victim. I don't believe that stance is correct, but it was not victim blaming.

I believe you're right, you can't just "get better"... but is forcing the world to change for you realistic? Will it even help?

I read the bottom, being a child abuse survivor myself I know it varies from person to person. Just because she says ''Let it go'' doesn't mean I can. The term is used as a joke within my friends and highly promoted, yet I don't say anything because everyone thinks it makes you sound like an over sensitive baby. Which is bullshit. If you're hurting someone you should be confronted about it, not blow them off like ''GOD IDC ABOUT YOUR 'OPINION' I DO WHAT I WANT.''
Because of this belief that it should just 'let it go' others get shunned. Seriously? If they're getting offended over cursing or 'derp' that's one thing. But if it caused serious PHYSICAL pain, why should it be brushed off? You can't change the world, that is impossible, but telling them their 'opinion' when it's not even THAT means nothing and you'll do whatever you want is acceptable?

Although I know Gaia well enough there's a ton of ignorant assholes(See: The one who hasn't experience rape therefor he wouldn't be able to make any comparisons.) so it's not ending any time soon. Doesn't mean I'm going to shut up and put up forever. I don't follow those rules, bitches. ~.~

If somethings bothering you, you get up and leave. You shouldn't be burdening someone else's good time because of something thats happened to you. that is the polite thing to do. Thats one of the reasons i never told anyone on here about me getting shot.

And yeah, i can draw the comparison because i didn't "almost get my a** kicked" or "almost get shot" i did.

Tipsy Businessman

8,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

If somethings bothering you, you get up and leave. You shouldn't be burdening someone else's good time because of something thats happened to you. that is the polite thing to do. Thats one of the reasons i never told anyone on here about me getting shot.

And yeah, i can draw the comparison because i didn't "almost get my a** kicked" or "almost get shot" i did.

If you have NOT been raped then NO, you can't compare it. If you were in a tornado you can't say you know what a hurricane is like, you know why? THEY'RE NOT THE SAME. No one asked for your story, then yeah you can keep your mouth shut if you want, it's choice. If someone is walking around making ******** jokes about shooting up the place, it's polite to just sit there and not say anything? What bullshit is that. And if you're such a troll you wouldn't give a damn about being 'polite.'
Telling people shut up and leave is polite? Wow! Just wow!

Desirable Ladykiller

10,600 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

So, I should be forced to leave an area of the game I more than likely need to be in for a quest, or for fun, because someone else finds it amusing to use the term rape?
The point is that everyone should be considerate of everyone else around them, some of us don't have a choice in how we react towards these things. We may not even be purposely around the person using it. It's disrespectful to say that someone whose been raped, and has issues with the term being used in a game like that because it likely brings up bad memories, should just ignore it and leave. You do have to share the space with everyone, when you make jokes like that in a game, especially zOMG where they allow whispering, and party chats, keep it to private if you don't know that everyone around you is comfortable with that term.
Inb4 u dnt know what its like; I've been raped twice. Even if I may be comfortable with the term myself, I still find it disrespectful to say it around people I don't know.

Omnipresent Glitch

14,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Cari the Bunny
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

If you have NOT been raped then NO, you can't compare it. If you were in a tornado you can't say you know what a hurricane is like, you know why? THEY'RE NOT THE SAME. No one asked for your story, then yeah you can keep your mouth shut if you want, it's choice. If someone is walking around making ******** jokes about shooting up the place, it's polite to just sit there and not say anything? What bullshit is that. And if you're such a troll you wouldn't give a damn about being 'polite.'

I know my earlier posts where more troll-ish, but now im actually being the level headed one here.

I'm done conversing with you because, quite frankly, i find every word in your sentences to be just another clump of bullshit spewing forth.

No one told me to share my story, just as no one told you (or he hypothetical "you" wink to share your story (or listen to the people joking). It's a public space, your legally not allowed to dictate how people react there, just as i cannot tell you to shut the ******** up (i can, but it holds not bearing, just as your hypothetical telling those kids to stop talking about rape).

No one told me to stop and help that woman and her two daughters, and no one told me to take a bullet for them or attempt to stop the man until someone finally called the police 20 minutes later.

No one told me i had to take what happened and move passed it, i could have been bitter, never refound this site, and met all the cool users on here i have.

And also, no one told me i had to keep responding to you.

But, i can do the one thing you seem to not want to get through your thick skull, i can walk away, ignore what else you have to say, put all the memories of that night behind me, and wake up tomorrow with a big, smile at the start of a new day (and, also a possible temp/perma ban from dem mods for trolling in this thread, but who cares about that, its just pixels)

So bye, and may you find peace with whatever it is that has made you into such a cynical b***h 4laugh

EDIT:

because i know someone will quote me and tell me im being way harsh here, save yourself the time and don't.

you'll be doing both of us a favor.

Omnipresent Glitch

14,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
MissPerspicacious
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

So, I should be forced to leave an area of the game I more than likely need to be in for a quest, or for fun, because someone else finds it amusing to use the term rape?
The point is that everyone should be considerate of everyone else around them, some of us don't have a choice in how we react towards these things. We may not even be purposely around the person using it. It's disrespectful to say that someone whose been raped, and has issues with the term being used in a game like that because it likely brings up bad memories, should just ignore it and leave. You do have to share the space with everyone, when you make jokes like that in a game, especially zOMG where they allow whispering, and party chats, keep it to private if you don't know that everyone around you is comfortable with that term.
Inb4 u dnt know what its like; I've been raped twice. Even if I may be comfortable with the term myself, I still find it disrespectful to say it around people I don't know.

I must say, that you seem to be forgetting that life doesn't work that way.

we can sit here and talk cutesy to each other and be politically correct, but its not going to advance anything.

One cannot please everyone in a room, its up to the person getting offended to leave the area, not the people.

Tipsy Businessman

8,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

I know my earlier posts where more troll-ish, but now im actually being the level headed one here.

I'm done conversing with you because, quite frankly, i find every word in your sentences to be just another clump of bullshit spewing forth.

No one told me to share my story, just as no one told you (or he hypothetical "you" wink to share your story (or listen to the people joking). It's a public space, your legally not allowed to dictate how people react there, just as i cannot tell you to shut the ******** up (i can, but it holds not bearing, just as your hypothetical telling those kids to stop talking about rape).

No one told me to stop and help that woman and her two daughters, and no one told me to take a bullet for them or attempt to stop the man until someone finally called the police 20 minutes later.

No one told me i had to take what happened and move passed it, i could have been bitter, never refound this site, and met all the cool users on here i have.

And also, no one told me i had to keep responding to you.

But, i can do the one thing you seem to not want to get through your thick skull, i can walk away, ignore what else you have to say, put all the memories of that night behind me, and wake up tomorrow with a big, smile at the start of a new day (and, also a possible temp/perma ban from dem mods for trolling in this thread, but who cares about that, its just pixels)

So bye, and may you find peace with whatever it is that has made you into such a cynical b***h 4laugh

You are so far off ******** topic from what I was talking about, I was still riding on the comparing s**t. Good god

Omnipresent Glitch

14,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Cari the Bunny

You are so far off ******** topic from what I was talking about, I was still riding on the comparing s**t. Good god

lol

Shy Werewolf

Cari the Bunny

Just because she says ''Let it go'' doesn't mean I can.
The term is used as a joke within my friends and highly promoted, yet I don't say anything because everyone thinks it makes you sound like an over sensitive baby. Which is bullshit. If you're hurting someone you should be confronted about it, not blow them off...
Because of this belief that it should just 'let it go' others get shunned. Seriously? If they're getting offended over cursing or 'derp' that's one thing. But if it caused serious PHYSICAL pain, why should it be brushed off?
Although I know Gaia well enough there's a ton of ignorant assholes(See: The one who hasn't experience rape therefor he wouldn't be able to make any comparisons.)

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

Yes, I quite agree. It's not so easy to let something go, or heal from the emotional trauma. Sometimes it never goes away, and you will always carry it with you... But you know, that doesn't mean it can't become a simple scar.

I really think you need to talk to your friends. I think they're not very nice if they've actually said you're being a baby when you brought up your issues with it. While they don't have to, it's certainly better to help you through it. I don't want to be too presumptuous, but it's probably not helping you heal.

This is one of the "where is the line" issues. You draw it before rape, which makes sense, but there's no definite scale, so what's the least traumatic thing that can happen to you after crossing the line? What's at the absolute top? Why do you get to decide where swearing is on that scale?

Unfortunately, that's not just Gaia... it's the world. All those feelings don't disappear when you log off, just get buried deeper under smiles.

On another topic I didn't tackle earlier...
"but not a single person is made 'stronger' and more self aware in a healthy form from rape like it would in a gun situation"
I'm having trouble figuring out what you're saying here. At first it sounded like you can never recover from rape, yet a gunshot wound is recoverable. Is a "healthy" way to take a bullet "wow, I just almost died while assisting somebody!"?

Desirable Ladykiller

10,600 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
Random Acts of Awesome
MissPerspicacious
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

we can sit here and talk cutesy to each other and be politically correct, but its not going to advance anything.

One cannot please everyone in a room, its up to the person getting offended to leave the area, not the people.

I'm aware of that. And it's to be expected in MMORPG's that people use the term rape. It's just polite that if someone asks you take it to private, since they may need to be in that area. While no, not everyone is going to be polite, it's still nice.
I get your point of view, as I play games and use that term too. Though, I suppose this argument is similar to using gay as an insult to call something stupid? Some aren't going to find any offence, where some are. But you're never going to get to a resolve due to the differences in opinions and thoughts.

Omnipresent Glitch

14,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
MissPerspicacious
Random Acts of Awesome
MissPerspicacious
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny

I'm aware of that. And it's to be expected in MMORPG's that people use the term rape. It's just polite that if someone asks you take it to private, since they may need to be in that area. While no, not everyone is going to be polite, it's still nice.
I get your point of view, as I play games and use that term too. Though, I suppose this argument is similar to using gay as an insult to call something stupid? Some aren't going to find any offence, where some are. But you're never going to get to a resolve due to the differences in opinions and thoughts.

And at least your willing to look at both sides of the argument 3nodding

I will say, i hardly ever use the term rape outside of crewchat or talk. i know how annoying it is to see pinktext fill the chatbox, so i take that into consideration before writing stuff.

and this is merely my opinion, but i find it petty to get insulted over mere words---again, its just my opinion, and i do try and respect everyone elses (within reason, case above)

Desirable Ladykiller

10,600 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
Random Acts of Awesome
MissPerspicacious
Random Acts of Awesome
MissPerspicacious
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny

And at least your willing to look at both sides of the argument 3nodding

I will say, i hardly ever use the term rape outside of crewchat or talk. i know how annoying it is to see pinktext fill the chatbox, so i take that into consideration before writing stuff.

and this is merely my opinion, but i find it petty to get insulted over mere words---again, its just my opinion, and i do try and respect everyone elses (within reason, case above)

Well it would be a big contradiction for me, and make me a huuge hypocrite to not look at both sides considering I'm technically a part of both sides in it.

That's good, even if it may not be for the reasons in this thread. It is a bit annoying to have pink text glaring at you.

It is and it isn't. Like I said before, some people can't control their reactions to some things. I know for a while after my brother-in-law's younger brother raped me, the word rape, or his name would send me into a violent panic attack. So this is why I'm in between on the word being used, though I wouldn't exactly suggest someone whose freshly raped to play MMORPG's anyhow.

Friendly Fatcat

11,150 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
js i'd rather get shot in the pinky

Tipsy Businessman

8,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny

Just because she says ''Let it go'' doesn't mean I can.
The term is used as a joke within my friends and highly promoted, yet I don't say anything because everyone thinks it makes you sound like an over sensitive baby. Which is bullshit. If you're hurting someone you should be confronted about it, not blow them off...
Because of this belief that it should just 'let it go' others get shunned. Seriously? If they're getting offended over cursing or 'derp' that's one thing. But if it caused serious PHYSICAL pain, why should it be brushed off?
Although I know Gaia well enough there's a ton of ignorant assholes(See: The one who hasn't experience rape therefor he wouldn't be able to make any comparisons.)

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

Yes, I quite agree. It's not so easy to let something go, or heal from the emotional trauma. Sometimes it never goes away, and you will always carry it with you... But you know, that doesn't mean it can't become a simple scar.

I really think you need to talk to your friends. I think they're not very nice if they've actually said you're being a baby when you brought up your issues with it. While they don't have to, it's certainly better to help you through it. I don't want to be too presumptuous, but it's probably not helping you heal.

This is one of the "where is the line" issues. You draw it before rape, which makes sense, but there's no definite scale, so what's the least traumatic thing that can happen to you after crossing the line? What's at the absolute top? Why do you get to decide where swearing is on that scale?

Unfortunately, that's not just Gaia... it's the world. All those feelings don't disappear when you log off, just get buried deeper under smiles.

On another topic I didn't tackle earlier...
"but not a single person is made 'stronger' and more self aware in a healthy form from rape like it would in a gun situation"
I'm having trouble figuring out what you're saying here. At first it sounded like you can never recover from rape, yet a gunshot wound is recoverable. Is a "healthy" way to take a bullet "wow, I just almost died while assisting somebody!"?

Well you're not, I haven't heard it once a woman say ''Oh yeah, my trust for men didn't go down at all.'' or ''Because I was 'asking for it' it's acceptable and I just have to move on.''
But this is rape culture, and last time I checked there's no 'gun culture'. Which would make it about equal if there was discrimination like ''YOU ASKED TO BE SHOT.''.
A shot you can heal from
A scar can fade
Nightmares might never stop
You can't 'heal' from an STD, AIDS, or the body memories from it. You might still feel the gunshot, but you can take medicine for that. Body memories you can't do anything about and you get to relive it over and over. Extreme case then yeah, that's not heal-able being shot, not completely at least. With every event like this it does leave a mark on the person, and does change them.
But my point was originally(Before Random replied to me) It's. Not. Choice. It's never a choice to be triggered, which for some people the word rape is triggering.(Trigger means you basically send them into a panic attack) It's not about ''Oh, I don't like that word.'', I know people it's actually harmful towards, yet they told they're rude for it. I know that's how kids work because they don't understand and rape culture has a good grasp, but that doesn't excuse silencing.

The point I was making with Random is they are not the same, point blank. If you've only lived through one then you can't compare. If you've never tasted an orange you can't compare it to an apple. PS he has yet to disagree on being an a*****e,.

2,950 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Cari the Bunny
Random Acts of Awesome
Cari the Bunny
Bladeglory
Cari the Bunny

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

Agreed. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games