Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am a zomg player and i see this all the time in the zomg chat players useing the term rape to describe something they ether like or dislike it horrifying to me as a player and as a woman that gains can say it with out thinking what it means don't they care what there saying or are you useing it to shock? please help me to understand or to justify why you think it cool

Perfect Saint

I remember a thread just like this a year ago. I don't think it led to anything substantial. It probably boiled down to context. Rape does have older forms that are not necessarily sexual in nature and can have meaning in a game like zOMG.
Quote:
4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
5. Archaic . the act of seizing and carrying off by force.

Others
a plant, Brassica napus, of the mustard family, whose leaves are used for food for hogs, sheep, etc., and whose seeds yield rape oil.
Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English (< Middle French ) < Latin rāpum (neuter), rāpa (feminine) turnip; cognate with Greek rhápys

Personally, I prefer to use raep instead to mean everything else besides rape.

In the end, it's how you choose to let it affect you. Although, it's preferable that you do not burden other people with your issues.

Shirtless Flatterer

10,250 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
Gaia is a teen site and many kids just use the word as a troll maneuver. Its not cool but its other peoples humor so i dont say anything about it.

Winged Phantom

18,550 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Marathon 300
Myrielle
In the end, it's how you choose to let it affect you. Although, it's preferable that you do not burden other people with your issues.

This exactly.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

7,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
I'm a boy and I have a problem with the word "Rape." for personal and guessable reasons

And like Myrielle said, its how you choose to have it affect you. I choose not to let it affect me too much, because one, people have freedom of speech in most places, and two, its doesn't really help either way because of reason one.

Bloodthirsty Abomination

11,750 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
If we want to use rape as an adjective, we're going to use it as such.

That's our personal choice.

Your opinion does not and should never have any bearing on our or any other persons choices.

Magical Gatekeeper

I have a problem with the media using the word rape for sensationalism purposes.

But in zOMG Im fine with it. When someone says they are going to buff rape you or they are being raped by the animated they certainly dont mean it as the criminal context. And you shouldnt take it that way.

Words have more than one meaning and censoring a word because of one definition is an insult to our freedom of speech.

Friendly Hunter

8,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Brandisher 100
I was very surprised and upset at the casual use of the term "rape" as well. I gradually accepted though that that is the term commonly used on Gaia and not to be overly offended by it. We can only hope zephyrmuse that the people that use it so casually here never have cause to think of the word in the same context in which I believe we both, as well as many others, are used to.
NekochanXIII
I was very surprised and upset at the casual use of the term "rape" as well. I gradually accepted though that that is the term commonly used on Gaia and not to be overly offended by it. We can only hope zephyrmuse that the people that use it so casually here never have cause to think of the word in the same context in which I believe we both, as well as many others, are used to.

This was the same for me as well, OP. I was absolutely blown away by the lackadaisical usage of the word. I grew used to it, but I definitely don't use it myself. I think that as long as they are aware of the serious implications the word carries outside of an online forum, it's more... acceptable (for a lack of a better word). I'm more forgiving.

Also, I can't believe the mentality of "don't burden other people with your beliefs" as was posted as few times above. That is definitely not the mindset that promotes progress and advancement, and creates change. Albeit, this is an online game that is populated primarily by young teenagers and shouldn't be taken all that seriously, but still. If someone says they are uncomfortable with something, they shouldn't be squashed for bringing it up.

Scurvy Wench

8,100 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
ikally

Also, I can't believe the mentality of "don't burden other people with your beliefs" as was posted as few times above. That is definitely not the mindset that promotes progress and advancement, and creates change. Albeit, this is an online game that is populated primarily by young teenagers and shouldn't be taken all that seriously, but still. If someone says they are uncomfortable with something, they shouldn't be squashed for bringing it up.

I would agree it may have been harshly stated, but it on the same note, it can also be stated that the OP could also be overzealous and equally unaccepting of how things are. Like Myrielle said, the term has older meanings that have been lost to disuse and perhaps overpolarization. People are free to have their say, but as soon as they restrict the way other people express themselves (within the context of the TOS), then there is bound to be friction. Much misunderstanding in the past was born out of charged or even biased interpretation. What next? Argue religion? I don't consider zOMG as the appropriate soapbox to pontificate as well.

Flap you arms, but don't hit me with them, eh? My tendons barely hold me together.

6,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
I've seen that many times. I agree, it's disturbing how some people used the term rape while playing. At same time there isn't much we can do. You know freedom of speech and what not. All we can do is tell them that it's not appropriate and it's their choice to realized that or not. Unfortunately that how things are. cat_confused

Shy Werewolf

ikally
NekochanXIII

This was the same for me as well, OP. I was absolutely blown away by the lackadaisical usage of the word. I grew used to it, but I definitely don't use it myself. I think that as long as they are aware of the serious implications the word carries outside of an online forum, it's more... acceptable (for a lack of a better word). I'm more forgiving.

User Image The Way of the Sword User Image
~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

I can certainly see why catering to someone's comfort zone would be considered progress and advancement, and it is certainly a good thing to strive for, however, as a devil's advocate argument...

The word does not always mean nonconsensual sex. If we force the word to be taboo because of the horrible things it can mean, then it will only mean that. Furthermore, even when somebody does use it for its nonconsensual sex definition, the gravity doesn't need to be the same. We all know it's a terrible thing to have happen, but that doesn't mean the word itself needs to be made into a terrible thing. (and yes, made, because language is only what we make it)

Also, I'm not a psychologist, so I may be subject to the misinformation that TV and the like can bestow upon the masses, but I am under the impression that you must come to terms with emotional trauma like that, rather than suppress it. If people only speak of it in hushed tones, or are shushed and kept from discussing it, you're not exactly getting over it, are you?

I fully support being kind and respectful to people, don't get me wrong. If somebody would rather not have it spoken, I'll give them my condolences about what happened to them or their friends and try my best to never utter it in front of them again, however... Changing things and creating progress cannot happen by avoiding the issue. It's something to think about every time you use the word, for certain. "Am I really improving this situation by keeping that word a loaded gun?" Sometimes people who need help don't want it. ("You'll thank me when you're older" comes to mind)
Erynne
ikally

I would agree it may have been harshly stated, but it on the same note, it can also be stated that the OP could also be overzealous and equally unaccepting of how things are. Like Myrielle said, the term has older meanings that have been lost to disuse and perhaps overpolarization. People are free to have their say, but as soon as they restrict the way other people express themselves (within the context of the TOS), then there is bound to be friction. Much misunderstanding in the past was born out of charged or even biased interpretation. What next? Argue religion? I don't consider zOMG as the appropriate soapbox to pontificate as well.

Flap you arms, but don't hit me with them, eh? My tendons barely hold me together.

I recognize and agree with most of your logic, but I'm afraid I'll have to hold true to my original statement. I still don't think that's the right mentality to have. I don't think that someone stating they're uncomfortable with a word (that's commonly used in this forum) falls under the category of "burdening people." Forcing people to change their ways and repeatedly hounding others would. Making a thread? Nah.

Granted, I don't think Myrielle said that maliciously. She, like others, frequent this forum quite more often than I do. This thread must regularly pop up. It's easy to get fed up with seeing the same thing, I suppose.

You, however, are right. Although I think she should be able to make a thread about this here (since it does pertain to the game), the z!F shouldn't be a haven for threads disputing the political accuracy of commonly used words during gameplay.

And the part I bolded confused me at first, but got a brief chuckle out of me once I figured it out. (And thanks for not accosting me.)

Invisible Grabber

10,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Invisibility 100
AterAliquis
If we want to use rape as an adjective, we're going to use it as such.

That's our personal choice.

Your opinion does not and should never have any bearing on our or any other persons choices.

i back this and if you dont like the way zOMG or how most people are then you should just leave .-.

Quotable Lunatic

I was a victim of continuous sexual abuse as a child, and I didn't get to the point that I'm able to say that without shame by hiding from it.

Sure, we can censor the term, crack down on its use, treat it as if the word itself is as bad as the act of sexual rape. What does that further? What kind of progress can that make? Locking the idea in stasis and throwing away the key is not the way to handle this. Take a step back, look at context and intent, and if the context is wrong and the intent is malicious, then get upset. Otherwise, just let it go.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff