Welcome to Gaia! ::

Oneirocritica
If you feel guilty, you're feeling the right emotion.
Recognizing your male privilege is the first step.

That really doesn't help anything.
BottIecap
But Feminism isn't a "belief" - in fact, it's much more concerned with evidence and studies than it is beliefs, which is what makes it effective and valuable.

It certainly is - or may represent - a system of beliefs. The exalted status of physics makes my belief in them no less real for instance.

Wheezing Codger

CH1YO
BottIecap
But Feminism isn't a "belief" - in fact, it's much more concerned with evidence and studies than it is beliefs, which is what makes it effective and valuable.

It certainly is - or may represent - a system of beliefs. The exalted status of physics makes my belief in them no less real for instance.

Do you think so? Could it be said that is a little unnecessarily epistemological?

I should rephrase it - it was spoken as if Feminism is a personal belief, not a formal study and social movement - which consist of beliefs, but more rigorous ones than "I feel"s and intuitions, as was implied.

Beloved Exhibitionist

11,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
CH1YO
Oneirocritica

Would you rather men live in ignorance of their patriarchal privilege and be content living in a culture rife with rape culture and misogyny?
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica

Would you rather men live in ignorance of their patriarchal privilege and be content living in a culture rife with rape culture and misogyny?

I'd rather that people felt good about making things better than their feeling bad about not.
You should probably do something about all that self hate. It's unhealthy.

Beloved Exhibitionist

11,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
CH1YO
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica

I'd rather that people felt good about making things better than their feeling bad about not.

You think men are just going to up and change overnight without acknowledging their privilege? Men need to acknowledge, feel guilty, and be part of the change, not one or the other.
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica

You think men are just going to up and change overnight without acknowledging their privilege? Men need to acknowledge, feel guilty, and be part of the change, not one or the other.

"You're bad for being a man" is about as useful as "You're bad for being a woman". History has proven that amounts to very little.
Why should one be ashamed for being a man? It's nothing you had any control over. I was born a man and had no control over it. Yeah, there are some bad men out there that make us look bad.... and there are a lot of women out there that give women a bad name as well. There are advantages to being a man, and a lot of advantages of being a woman. The key is, do you exploit those advantages for your own benefit? Or do you try to be a better person and give people of your type a better name?

As for the whole male and female privilege... I learned this a long time ago when girls would keep hitting me, but I would get in trouble if I just defended myself. I learned at that age it's okay for a girl to hit a boy, but a boy can not hit a girl back, even in self defense. This carries on today, as women can hit men all they want to, and we'll get told to just toughen up. If a man so much as throws up a block (not even a strike, but just a block) he will go to jail. I've seen it happen. Now I'm pretty much forced by society to just take every strike a woman throws out cause I'm not allowed to defend myself. It's things like this feminists love to ignore when talking about equality.

Beloved Exhibitionist

11,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
CH1YO
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica

"You're bad for being a man" is about as useful as "You're bad for being a woman". History has proven that amounts to very little.
Wrong again. Listen to what I am saying.
MEN NEED TO ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR MALE PRIVILEGE. IF THEY FEEL GUILTY ABOUT IT, IT JUST MEANS THEY HAVE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT BEFORE AND OBVIOUSLY ARE NOT EVEN AWARE THAT IN THEIR IGNORANCE THEY HAVE PROBABLY CONTRIBUTED TO THE SYSTEM OF OPPRESSION.
Oh, and guess what? No man, regardless of whether he has been "hated" by a woman or not, has known the sexism and oppression women have endured for centuries. Swallow the pill already.
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica

MEN NEED TO ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR MALE PRIVILEGE. IF THEY FEEL GUILTY ABOUT IT, IT JUST MEANS THEY HAVE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT BEFORE AND OBVIOUSLY ARE NOT EVEN AWARE THAT IN THEIR IGNORANCE THEY HAVE PROBABLY CONTRIBUTED TO THE SYSTEM OF OPPRESSION.
Oh, and guess what? No man, regardless of whether he has been "hated" by a woman or not, has known the sexism and oppression women have endured for centuries. Swallow the pill already.

I've carefully read your posts. You're still wrong and are saying things for the wrong reasons.

Beloved Exhibitionist

11,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
CH1YO
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica

I've carefully read your posts. You're still wrong and are saying things for the wrong reasons.

*fails to give reasons why*
Stop being a basic b***h. Either we are having a discussion where we both supply points and evidence, or you're just being an ignorant a*****e.
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica

Stop being a basic b***h. Either we are having a discussion where we both supply points and evidence, or you're just being an ignorant a*****e.

I've explained my point which you have ignored. I'll explain it again if you like but not if you keep on insisting that men should feel bad about themselves, you'll need an actual argument.

Beloved Exhibitionist

11,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
CH1YO
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica

I've explained my point which you have ignored. I'll explain it again if you like but not if you keep on insisting that men should feel bad about themselves, you'll need an actual argument.

Wrong. Your point attempted to equalize male guilt and female guilt, which is a silly point because there is no female privilege and therefore no reason for female guilt.
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica
CH1YO
Oneirocritica

Wrong. Your point attempted to equalize male guilt and female guilt, which is a silly point because there is no female privilege and therefore no reason for female guilt.

So you just misunderstood? That's okay then. Have you ever heard of the Augustinian concept of original sin?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games