Welcome to Gaia! ::

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
nice place to visit, not really the best to live. not saying its a bad place to live, its quite nice there, its just the language barrier. if you only know few phrases and only about 20 kanji symbols, its going to be very difficult living there, just like any other forgein country.
Weeaboos...this thread has them.
i probably wouldn't want to live there for the rest of my life but i wouldn't mind visiting or staying there for a year or so
Harsgault
I've seen large numbers of Anime fans who want to move to or visit Japan. Until they try to learn the language, find out about Japanese teeth, discover what they view as an excellent meal etc etc. wink

If you can get past those obsticles it's a great country and culture. But like any culture not your own, it has it's oddities.

True that, sir. I've seen my fair share of "otaku" drop out of the first year Japanese classes at my school.

I'm going to attempt to go into J.E.T. after I finally graduate college. Hopefully when I apply the people I apply with wont be overachievers in the Japanese classes. I'd feel like I've wasted 4 years studying the language.
Caerthakatha

I think it was just the way you said to change this entire thread's name to refer to weeaboos.
    I guess it was because it was including everybody in this change and it would render those
    wanting to travel there for legitimate purposes outside brightly coloured cartoons as otaku.
    I'm quite sensitive when it comes to weeaboos because I don't want to be associated with
    them. I go to conventions and look for stuff, I enjoy watching one or two programs and trying
    cosplay, but I don't want to be grouped with the people who think Japan is paradise and the
    Japanese are anime characters in real life. If you understand what I mean. xD

I understand. My friend's a lot like that too.

She speaks Japanese fluently, is a regular at 2chan and other Japanese websites-I-don't-know, has visited Japan numerous amounts of times, AND has a Japanese boyfriend.
She's completely white.

She's really sensitive about the weeaboo thing too LOL, but she's just a straight up japanophile.
I would like to visit every now and then. My goal is to live there for a year, so I can see the festivals and have a better cultural understanding. But I want to be able to speak the language as fluently as I can. But that will take a few years.........Oh well. I'm game. ninja

Moonlight Pirate

Ferrie
xMuzaix
User ImageUser ImageUser Image

"I won't let it xt a k e xy o u . You're my xh o s t a g e ."
- - -
Anime isn't exactly has hailed in Japan as it is in America, so if you think it's an Otaku paradise, it's not.
And I wouldn't really say I want to live there.
However, I think going to Japan would be a very neat experience.

Really? When I went there, there was anime EVERYWHERE.
The difference is that for them it's "just anime" and use it as advertising for everything while we actually treat it as something exotic and different.

OT: I think we should rename this thread "Are you a weeaboo".
Japan's not that great. They have the best technology ever, even if the prices are insane.
But ******** their subway system. I think they made it to intentionally confuse tourists.
And they're really xenophobic too. If you're not Japanese, prepare for some rudeness from a few strangers.
Also, they smoke too much. I'm one of the few that don't mind the smell (I actually like it...), but there are cigarette butts EVERWHERE, it's disgusting.

Where in Japan did you find cigarette butts everywhere? When I was there you couldn't find litter of any kind at all. (Or garbage cans.) And I've been to several different cities.
Nomad Realta

Where in Japan did you find cigarette butts everywhere? When I was there you couldn't find litter of any kind at all. (Or garbage cans.) And I've been to several different cities.

Was mainly visiting my dad in Yokohama, but I visited a crapload of other cities, from Tokyo to Kyoto to even up to Hokkaido.

I remember I was walking down a few stairs from a shrine in Kyoto and I was struck by how many cigarette butts were on them.

Moonlight Pirate

Ferrie
Nomad Realta

Was mainly visiting my dad in Yokohama, but I visited a crapload of other cities, from Tokyo to Kyoto to even up to Hokkaido.

I remember I was walking down a few stairs from a shrine in Kyoto and I was struck by how many cigarette butts were on them.

Seriously? Kyoto was one of the cities I was in as well. The only litter I saw was a tire caught on a rock in an otherwise REALLY clean river. There was no litter or cigarette butts or anything.
Nomad Realta

Seriously? Kyoto was one of the cities I was in as well. The only litter I saw was a tire caught on a rock in an otherwise REALLY clean river. There was no litter or cigarette butts or anything.

Well idk what you want me to say dude, I mean, I went two years ago, but I saw what I saw.
My friends had similar experiences when they visited at least.

Moonlight Pirate

Ferrie
Nomad Realta

Well idk what you want me to say dude, I mean, I went two years ago, but I saw what I saw.
My friends had similar experiences when they visited at least.

It's not really an argument, I'm just surprised. Maybe you and I were in different parts of Kyoto?
Nomad Realta
It's not really an argument, I'm just surprised. Maybe you and I were in different parts of Kyoto?

I guess so. How long were you there and during what season? Just out of curiosity.

Moonlight Pirate

Ferrie
Nomad Realta

I guess so. How long were you there and during what season? Just out of curiosity.

I was only in Kyoto for a day, but still had to take trains and walk through plenty of the city. I think it was on the 29th of May.

Other cities I visited were Fukuoka, Oosaka, Hiroshima, and Nara. They were all just as clean.
I didn't read the last post date crying

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces