Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Megathread 100
I think this is a brilliant idea,to be honest.
Even though English is a universal language,there are loads of people who don't understand it. So,if we can chose the language we browse Gaia with,i think more people would join this site.
More users make more benefits for Gaia. smile
but it does have its bad sides,i don't think moderators could cope with all the reports in different languages. Hmmm,it's something you'd have to think through carefully first,i guess.

11,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
haligonian
Areishia_01
You want them to translate it in...latin? Because that's the language from which the languages you listed have their roots from, my own language included, and I for one don't speak latin. That and even if 2 languages are part of the same language "family" they're still different.
You're kidding.
Right?
You really are?

Yes you are.

You can take a chill pill too. I don't understand why people have to go and make things more complicated then they are.

Nope, I'm not kidding, they really are different.

Original Ladykiller

12,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
Areishia_01
haligonian
Areishia_01
You want them to translate it in...latin? Because that's the language from which the languages you listed have their roots from, my own language included, and I for one don't speak latin. That and even if 2 languages are part of the same language "family" they're still different.
You're kidding.
Right?
You really are?

Yes you are.

You can take a chill pill too. I don't understand why people have to go and make things more complicated then they are.

Nope, I'm not kidding, they really are different.
I don't think you quite understand my post.
D:

Hilarious Friend

8,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Hygienic 200
.~[Misty.Muffin]~.
Zuko Sozin
I think basic ones would be useful, like German and Spanish.
Spanish I understand, but how is German a 'basic'? :/ I hear more Spanish and Hmong more than I hear German.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm
We already have a Chinese site for Chinese-speakers
I doubt many of Gaia's users are from Japan
and Portugese wouldn't be fair to have two mostly South American languages and no European language.
Izzy Van Helsing
Alois Trancy -Spider-
American site.

No.

Facebook's an American site too. And yet I have the option of having it in damn near every language on earth.

Just because it's an American site doesn't mean it automatically has to be in English and only English.

Facebook is not a forum. It doesn't turn into a huge mess because user interaction is limited to who you know, on your profile/community and people who speak the same language as you. Do you want all of Gaia's forums to turn into Gaia International, but without language specific threads? Are you okay with posting a thread in English and then getting replies in languages that you cannot read/understand, and seeing those replies getting replies in even more languages? Because this is what would happen to the forums, and people would get annoyed and leave the thread because they can't follow the conversation. This would kill user interaction and become a moderation nightmare.

No no no no no.

Shy Regular

15,800 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Timid 100
What would be wrong with translating
things like the menus, shops and what not into different languages?
Y'know, stuff that the users can't alter, but change into their language,
or close to their language, in the account options area.

7,100 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
Pinkutan
Izzy Van Helsing
Alois Trancy -Spider-
American site.

No.

Facebook's an American site too. And yet I have the option of having it in damn near every language on earth.

Just because it's an American site doesn't mean it automatically has to be in English and only English.

Facebook is not a forum. It doesn't turn into a huge mess because user interaction is limited to who you know, on your profile/community and people who speak the same language as you. Do you want all of Gaia's forums to turn into Gaia International, but without language specific threads? Are you okay with posting a thread in English and then getting replies in languages that you cannot read/understand, and seeing those replies getting replies in even more languages? Because this is what would happen to the forums, and people would get annoyed and leave the thread because they can't follow the conversation. This would kill user interaction and become a moderation nightmare.

No no no no no.

What's to stop people from doing this now? There are dozens of translation sites out there. Anyone with the ability to type could get the basic gist of my English post, and reply in their own native tongue.
I remember someone posting a thread here not long ago, and for some reason, nearly all the replies were in Spanish and Tagalog. Thanks to some people on this forum that spoke those and English, the thread was fairly easily understood. Was not as huge a deal as you seem to think it would be.

And for the record, where in my post did I ever say that we need to translate the entire site? Answer- Nowhere. I merely remarked that just because this is an American site, it doesn't mean that it automatically can be in English and ONLY English. Several American sites out there have translated versions of their TOS, to better accommodate users whose English may be lacking. And that is a good idea. Might have a few less accidental rule-breakers out there if we did translate the key info on this site, like the TOS and Rules and Guidelines.
Izzy Van Helsing
What's to stop people from doing this now? There are dozens of translation sites out there. Anyone with the ability to type could get the basic gist of my English post, and reply in their own native tongue.

And what keeps them from using said sites to just post in English? I'd say it's common courtesy. I speak very little Japanese but when I post on Pixiv or any other Japanese site, I grab my books and dictionaries and take my time to write things properly so that I'll be understood. I don't expect to be accommodated by them in any way. Posting on web sites is a privilege, not a right, after all.

English is a lot easier and a lot more common than Japanese. If people are able to use a translation site to read the thread, let them use it to post in English then. Why should we have to jump through loops to understand what they're saying? Let them say it in a language that everyone here speaks.

Quote:
I remember someone posting a thread here not long ago, and for some reason, nearly all the replies were in Spanish and Tagalog. Thanks to some people on this forum that spoke those and English, the thread was fairly easily understood. Was not as huge a deal as you seem to think it would be.

That was one thread. Enabling other languages site wide would result in multiple threads. Suddenly threads with titles and replies in every language imaginable would start showing up. I am speaking from experience, I have seen this happen before. People get annoyed and leave, people stop posting altogether, because it becomes impossible to find topics in their own language and even harder to keep up with the conversation when they do find one.

Quote:
And for the record, where in my post did I ever say that we need to translate the entire site? Answer- Nowhere. I merely remarked that just because this is an American site, it doesn't mean that it automatically can be in English and ONLY English. Several American sites out there have translated versions of their TOS, to better accommodate users whose English may be lacking. And that is a good idea. Might have a few less accidental rule-breakers out there if we did translate the key info on this site, like the TOS and Rules and Guidelines.

I don't think you get what I'm saying. Have you been to Orkut? People used to post threads in English there, they'd write really big on the thread, "ENGLISH ONLY", and within half a day the thread would have turned into a gigantic mess of Portuguese, Spanish and God knows what else. Eventually they just plain gave up and left, and now Orkut consists mostly of Brazilian spam.

Accommodating users who don't speak English on a web site where the primary language is English is a terrible idea, because the moment you do that, you send a message that they're free to post and do things in their own language, and this results in threads that no one can read and posts that are impossible to moderate because the mods don't have a clue what they say -- yeah they can go to Google Translate or something, but there is no way they would have time to do this for every post, they're overworked as it is.

We already have a forum for users who want to chat in another language. There are several guilds for people who speak other languages. If someone has managed to join Gaia and start posting here, then they speak enough English to get around and post in English. If they don't, oh well. There are other sites and forums they can join, and there's always Google Translate.

7,100 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
Pinkutan

1- English is a ******** difficult language to speak properly, especially if your mother tongue is one that is very different from it. Look at French- they've got like, a million different ways to say each verb. And all English does it add prepositions to an existing verb.
Now, even if you're a professional linguist, if you come from a different language background, it can be difficult to speak English with the relative fluency one would require to post on a forum like this.
And then factor in people 'tlking luk dis all da tyme'. Good god. I'd probably quit.

2- Now, I'm not saying people should be free to post in whatever language they choose, simply for the sake of the moderators. Not every one of them is a linguist, after all. But I see so many underage people on this site, coming from backgrounds where English isn't taught very well. They break the rules by being 12, 11, 10, etc. and being on this site, but don't know it, because they can't understand the rules well enough. I mean hell, half the TOS is in legalese. Certainly doesn't make it any easier for ESL speakers, does it?

I still don't see you making any credible, logical arguments against having the rules and guidelines of the site available in other languages. And you won't be able to, simply because there's really no reason not to have them like that. Granted, staff shortages mean it won't happen very soon, if at all, but there's still no reason not to have the site accessed and understood by people who don't speak English very well.
Izzy Van Helsing
I still don't see you making any credible, logical arguments against having the rules and guidelines of the site available in other languages. And you won't be able to, simply because there's really no reason not to have them like that. Granted, staff shortages mean it won't happen very soon, if at all, but there's still no reason not to have the site accessed and understood by people who don't speak English very well.

I have given you plenty of credible and logical arguments. You just refuse to accept them. There are plenty of reasons to keep the site in English, and plenty more to keep people who don't speak the language from posting all over the place, which they will do if the site is more accessible to them. As evidenced by Orkut and other similar sites.

I'm not going to argue with you anymore, I've made my point like three times already. And for the record? English isn't my first language either.

7,100 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
Pinkutan
Izzy Van Helsing

I have given you plenty of credible and logical arguments. You just refuse to accept them. There are plenty of reasons to keep the site in English, and plenty more to keep people who don't speak the language from posting all over the place, which they will do if the site is more accessible to them. As evidenced by Orkut and other similar sites.

I'm not going to argue with you anymore, I've made my point like three times already. And for the record? English isn't my first language either.

I don't refuse to accept anything. You simply haven't provided any logic behind your statements. 'If the rules are in their mother tongue, they will automatically decide to post in it, even if everyone else is posting in English'. Where are the stats to support this?

I joined a fairly small French forum site a few years back. Basically a large discussion board for directors, actors, etc. Now, French is not my first language, and my conjugation skills are crap. So, reading their TOS was incredibly difficult for me. I hardly ever posted (though when I did, I did so in French, as everyone else did), for fear I would break a rule I didn't know about. A few months after I joined, they updated their TOS so it was in both French and English, for the sake of their users. And thank god they did, because I found out then that I was actually on the site illegally. Only people in Quebec were allowed to join. xd (Lucky for me, you could still browse the site without having to be a member. You just couldn't post.) But the point is, after changing the TOS, the site's dynamic did not change any. Very few people posted in English- none more so than there were before.

It's not going to kill Gaia to make it easier for people to understand their rules. I mean hell, if you want, have them throw in a rule that says "ONLY POST IN ENGLISH OUTSIDE GAIA INTERNATIONAL".
biggrin Thanks for voting and commenting.

Obsessive Nerd

Zuko Sozin
.~[Misty.Muffin]~.
Zuko Sozin
Spanish I understand, but how is German a 'basic'? :/ I hear more Spanish and Hmong more than I hear German.

and Portugese wouldn't be fair to have two mostly South American languages and no European language.
uhwut? Hmong isn't Chinese... it's a different language...
It doesn't matter if it's 'fair'. It's the majority of users. If this were to happen and it would only be two more languages, you can't focus on what's FAIR. It would be what the majority is.
I don't support the idea of changing it anyways to ANY other language.
This idea would be great to to mess with those grammar know it all XD They would be so confuse if someone made a mistake cuz it can be consider popper in another language

On a serious note I wouldn't be for it. It would need a lot of work and all that time working on that can be better spend fixing gaia issue and fighting inflation. It would be really confusing if people start posing in all kind of language and I would be so lost.

Hilarious Friend

8,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Hygienic 200
.~[Misty.Muffin]~.
Zuko Sozin
.~[Misty.Muffin]~.
Zuko Sozin

uhwut? Hmong isn't Chinese... it's a different language...
It doesn't matter if it's 'fair'. It's the majority of users. If this were to happen and it would only be two more languages, you can't focus on what's FAIR. It would be what the majority is.
I don't support the idea of changing it anyways to ANY other language.

Did you look at the link? It says the majority of languages spoken on the internet. Hmong isn't even on the list, so I doubt 'the majority' of users speak it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games