Welcome to Gaia! ::

Raider

7,500 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Nerd 50
carbonphyber
Grissom Greg Nick
We'd like to have the chance of surfing Gaia in other languages like Facebook. Por favor, lo necesitamos.
That would be neat.

For those of you comparing "Localized / Internationalized sites" to Facebook, please understand that Facebook's translated versions were actually translated by users. In this way, Facebook's internationalized site is a very special. Other sites that try to internationalize spend an enormous amount of money and development resources translating.

Or there's that terrible google translator -- which tried to tell me Battle Royale is all about cheese confused -- I can never trust those things.

It'd be really intresting to view Gaia in other languages though.

Obsessive Nerd

I actually think this is a really bad idea. Like a moderator pointed out, most people/moderators wouldn't be capable of handling rule breakers/reports if they came in JUST that language. That would be unfair to expect them to understand it or to unload that work load to someone else.

As for translators, no. They're not always accurate and you sure as hell can not trust most of them. Every translated something to a language then back to English? It doesn't end well. :/

We have an International Forum. That's good enough.

We couldn't translate the TOS to another language, because then EVERY single person with a different language would ask for theirs.

We'd start with English and Spanish

Then have to add French. Then Arabic. Then Italian. Then Japanese. Chinese. German. Polish. Russian. The line of languages being requested and bitched about would NEVER. END. It would be unfair to offer one translation and not the others.

So i'll go with the other comment. The site is based in an English speaking country. Just like Gaia's counterpart is based in a Chinese speaking country. Just stick to the right language.... not to mention most people KNOW English. i understand not knowing it well or learning it or whatever other excuse you want to make, but most people do know and understand the basics.
Many spoken languages would be pleased.

Hilarious Friend

8,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Hygienic 200
I think basic ones would be useful, like German and Spanish.
3nodding It's good to hear comments like that ^^

9,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

[X] Users would start asking for their languages (so not just the "main" ones). Just like users keep asking for iPod/iTouch/Adroid/Whatever apps every single day.

Also, handling reports would definitely be a problem in my opinion.

I wouldn't like to try to figure out what exactly a thread is about if I'm FA'ing or if I were a Moderator. I mean, sure, we could use Google Translate or other translating services but they're never 100% accurate (trust me, I translated pages and PAGES of Italian stuff into English and English into Italian, and 50% of it's text wasn't 100% accurate) but it would take even longer to process reports.

However, I do admit that some users who can't understand English very well would like to see this option implemented. It would also be a fun feature if the users translated the content into their own languages, which is what Facebook did. But if they start posting everywhere in, for example, Sinhala or Hindi, then it would probably cause problems (other than the reports, etc) because the users would get frustrated because their thread dies as other users don't understand what they're saying.

And another thing. Gaia would need to proof-read the translated content. There are users out there who would translate everything into rubbish or swears just for the laughs, which equals to even more work for... I don't know, devs or whoever would do this.

Dedicated Man-Lover

9,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
Grissom Greg Nick
We deserve it.
We don't deserve jack s**t.

Shameless Nerd

9,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Can you even begin to understand the mess that the forums would be?

No, no, no. American site. Speak English or go to Gaia International.

9,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Megathread 100
Gaia's English is not complicated. What would the other languages even change? The name of each forum? Maybe event descriptions? zOMG text?

Users post in English for the most part, it's just not worth the hassle. English is an international language and Gaia's English is not too deep. If you cannot read the ToS and understand it, then you should not be on Gaia. You signed up for it so it's assumed that you read/ can read it.

Quotable Lunatic

Acestarox
Gaia's English is not complicated. What would the other languages even change? The name of each forum? Maybe event descriptions? zOMG text?

Users post in English for the most part, it's just not worth the hassle. English is an international language and Gaia's English is not too deep. If you cannot read the ToS and understand it, then you should not be on Gaia. You signed up for it so it's assumed that you read/ can read it.

>_>

<_<

I can't even understand the TOS and I've been speaking English for 20 years.

12,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
haligonian
Kanashii Sakura Uta
haligonian
GIVE ME FRENCH.

Oh god I would ******** love this.
I'd wait for it.

Also, lol @ everyone going "omfg this isn't facebook/gaia is american only"

just lol
lol man

I didn't go "omfg this isn't Facebook/Gaia is American only." I'm against this because we already have an International forum that people can go to if they want to converse in different languages. And like I stated in my post on the first page, there are a lot of languages that exist in the world. What would happen if Gaia chose to only translate half those languages? I can only see complaints from people whose language is not available. I go on language exchange sites like Lang-8 and Smart.Fm regularly, and there's approximately 99 languages listed plus the option "other languages."

Flameinexile already addressed the issue of having every single forum translated into several different languages.
Wow okay take a chill pill.

Obviously it's going to be hard to translate a lot of languages. And obviously not everyone is going to be pleased.
But that's life. Of course.
Although, as you should know, most languages branch off from a 'main' one (Spanish > Italian, French > Canadian French) so that 'main' languages should suffice.

And I don't think the devs for Gaia are stupid enough to attempt to make a code to translate the forums entirely into another language.
Sorry that you "can only see complaints".
All I see is awesome.

And yeah. An international forum doesn't really cut it. That thing is just a bunch of... things jumbled together in one forum without any subforums. Yeah. Real useful.

You want them to translate it in...latin? Because that's the language from which the languages you listed have their roots from, my own language included, and I for one don't speak latin. That and even if 2 languages are part of the same language "family" they're still different. I don't really see why gaia should translate the whole site, not to mention that translating everything would cost money and gaia just had to lay-off 6 devs.... All in all I don't see a real purpose to this, would it be nice? Most likely yes, I'd like to be able to read it in German to freshen-up on said language but is it necessary? Not really.

Obsessive Nerd

Zuko Sozin
I think basic ones would be useful, like German and Spanish.
Spanish I understand, but how is German a 'basic'? :/ I hear more Spanish and Hmong more than I hear German.

Original Ladykiller

12,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
Areishia_01
You want them to translate it in...latin? Because that's the language from which the languages you listed have their roots from, my own language included, and I for one don't speak latin. That and even if 2 languages are part of the same language "family" they're still different.
You're kidding.
Right?
You really are?

Yes you are.

You can take a chill pill too. I don't understand why people have to go and make things more complicated then they are.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff