• Tycoon 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Beta Critic 0
Alois Trancy -Spider-
American site.

No.

carbonphyber
Grissom Greg Nick
We'd like to have the chance of surfing Gaia in other languages like Facebook. Por favor, lo necesitamos.

That would be neat.

Carbonphyber's a dev, so your "no" does not apply.

10,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Beta Critic 0
carbonphyber
Grissom Greg Nick
We'd like to have the chance of surfing Gaia in other languages like Facebook. Por favor, lo necesitamos.
That would be neat.

For those of you comparing "Localized / Internationalized sites" to Facebook, please understand that Facebook's translated versions were actually translated by users. In this way, Facebook's internationalized site is a very special. Other sites that try to internationalize spend an enormous amount of money and development resources translating.

Facebook's idea is a good one, though. Do you think administration would consider setting up a user-based project to translate things like the buttons and menus and forum titles and such? Peer-reviewed, of course, to prevent mistranslations (deliberate or accidental). The actual implementation, to switch between languages, would probably have to be a Lab or similar.

7,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
Toxic Cherries
    i dont think many gaians speak afrikaans. if gaia were to do something like this, they'd need to do a survery of the top languages spoken on gaia.

It'd probably be beneficial to start with widespread languages, like French and Spanish, and then work from there. There seem to be a lot of Filipino people on the site, so their language (is it Tagalog?) would probably benefit a lot of people.
    Li13el

This isn't facebook. Moreover, Facebook is an international site. Gaia is an American site.
    Also, it wouldn't translate the forum posts. :/

Which I believe is why they added the international forum.
    I'm going to burn this mother ******** down!

Uh, Facebook is based in the USA, like Gaia.

The problem we have is that Facebook has translators on site, but mostly relies on its userbase to help translate. I wouldn't trust some Gaians to translate for the life of me.

10,200 Points
    • Tycoon 200
    • Full closet 200
    • Beta Critic 0
    Wrath of Ezekiel
    The problem we have is that Facebook has translators on site, but mostly relies on its userbase to help translate. I wouldn't trust some Gaians to translate for the life of me.

I wouldn't trust some FBers to translate either. wink FB has a peer-review system for the translations, though. Something like that here on Gaia would prevent bad translations or "my hovercraft is full of eels".

Demonic Cultist

15,400 Points
    • Cats vs Dogs 100
    • Demonic Associate 100
    • Frozen Sleuth 100
    Kanashii Sakura Uta
    Soarin`
    carbonphyber
    Grissom Greg Nick
    That would be neat.

For those of you comparing "Localized / Internationalized sites" to Facebook, please understand that Facebook's translated versions were actually translated by users. In this way, Facebook's internationalized site is a very special. Other sites that try to internationalize spend an enormous amount of money and development resources translating.

I'd like to see a 'Translate' Option for posts.

But people can already translate in posts. o.o How would a translate option for posts be different than going into International and asking someone to translate something?

Because it would take ONE button click as opposed to posting and waiting for somebody to respond.

Tricky Knight

Mindset
    Alois Trancy -Spider-
    American site.

No.

carbonphyber
    Grissom Greg Nick

That would be neat.

Carbonphyber's a dev, so your "no" does not apply.

Alois is me~ Regardless if they are a dev, I have the right to voice my opinion. =/

Develops I'm sure take people's thoughts into consideration.

Tricky Knight

Another thing just because a developer says it's neat...does not mean they are saying yes. =/

I could say an item your wearing is neat, but still wouldn't go off and buy it.

Kawaii Shoujo

19,600 Points
    • Caroling Champ 100
    • Snowball Hero 200
    • Frozen Solid 200
    Soarin`
    Kanashii Sakura Uta
    Soarin`
    carbonphyber
    Grissom Greg Nick
    That would be neat.

I'd like to see a 'Translate' Option for posts.

But people can already translate in posts. o.o How would a translate option for posts be different than going into International and asking someone to translate something?

Because it would take ONE button click as opposed to posting and waiting for somebody to respond.

Even so, Gaia would have to find a way to make the button translate stuff as close to accurate as possible, or else you'd get something like this where the translation deviates from what you originally wanted to say.

Noble Wolf

20,050 Points
    • Fusion Apprentice 100
    • Alchemy Level 3 100
    • Beta Critic 0
    Lolita Ciel Phantomhive
    Another thing just because a developer says it's neat...does not mean they are saying yes. =/

Not immediately. However the interest you expressed was enough to influence your thought on the use of the item thereby seeding an interest in future possibilities with it.

When a dev says something positive about an idea, that to us means that it will be brought up to HQ's attention and that perhaps, someday, it will be made real.

So you see, expressing an interest or casting approval does not mean instant results or result in immediate use. All its doing is planting the seed for future use/development.

Tricky Knight

Catalyste
    Lolita Ciel Phantomhive

Not immediately. However the interest you expressed was enough to influence your thought on the use of the item thereby seeding an interest in future possibilities with it.

When a dev says something positive about an idea, that to us means that it will be brought up to HQ's attention and that perhaps, someday, it will be made real.

So you see, expressing an interest or casting approval does not mean instant results or result in immediate use. All its doing is planting the seed for future use/development.
    Touche.
    Thanks for your comments. Of course not immediately.

Bashful Exhibitionist

17,100 Points
    • Partygoer 500
    • Alchemy Level 3 100
    • Battle Hardened 150
    That takes a lot of work. And besides that's what Gaia International forum is for.

English is my second (well technically third) language but I don't see any reason why I shouldn't use it when dealing with people from other countries. English is used as a global language so we can all communicate. You'd just have to live with that.

Romantic Lover

13,550 Points
    • Cats vs Dogs 100
    • Elocutionist 200
    • Senpai's Notice 100
    carbonphyber
    Grissom Greg Nick
    That would be neat.

Offtopic:
    Thanks for your siggie! I had no idea that you could do that and have now added that on my browsers search 3nodding
    Thanks for your votes and comments.

Quick Reply

Submit
    Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces