Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Lunatic

14,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
How would having Gaia translated help anything, exactly? Sure. Links are now translated into your foreign language. Hooray for you, but that doesn't mean the posts will be. More likely than not you'll still be reading english unless you decide to get a translator plug-in for your browser as Gabriella Ellenor has suggested.

Aged Shapeshifter

10,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Elocutionist 200
Won't google translate it for you?
Of course american site but would be perfect if everybody could enter without the obstacle of language. Have received many and many applications from non-english speakers who want to understand this site to become new members. wink

7,100 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250

But...why? It's a forum based site, the forums are mainly in English. It'd be silly to have updates in different languages when the main bases for the site is user-created and generally English. The only forum available would be the international forums if you wished to speak in other languages.

Mega Noob

8,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Sure, why not.
It would be probably good thing for foreign users that aren't really that good in English and it might bring gaia some more users.

And about the "posts won't be translated to your language hurrdurr", they don't have to, Gaia would probably add some forums for the foreign users. They wouldn't have to recreate all of the forums, just the most important ones.

Witty Risk-Taker

19,200 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Battle: Rogue 100
If the option existed to translate the site into different languages, then hooray. Many people don't speak English as their first language, and it may be easier for them to navigate and learn the rules of the site if it's translated into their native language. This might actually help people find the correct forum they're looking for, or whatever else. Also, you can already speak/type in your native language in the International Forum, so... it's not like people don't do it already. I mean, so long as the other languages are kept to the International forum, I don't really see why having, say, the "Home" and "My Gaia" and other tags translated into other languages would be a bad thing.

I just don't see why it should really be opposed, especially if the site isn't being forcibly converted to a different language for all users. I mean, I'm still gonna use it in English, even if an option for Spanish, French or Chinese existed. :/

Also, if nothing else, translating the site may help me brush up on my dead Spanish, French and Finnish. ninja

Kawaii Shoujo

19,600 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Fruktsallad
Sure, why not.
It would be probably good thing for foreign users that aren't really that good in English and it might bring gaia some more users.

And about the "posts won't be translated to your language hurrdurr", they don't have to, Gaia would probably add some forums for the foreign users. They wouldn't have to recreate all of the forums, just the most important ones.

And there's the International forum for that. You never knew that forum existed? Because that forum is where all foreign users can go to if they need to speak with people in their own native language. Really, you should take a look into that forum.

7,200 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
I'd like to see them translate the more important parts of the site (Terms of Service, Rules and Guidelines, etc.), but they obviously cannot translate the entire site, since it is forum- based.

Invisible Heckler

13,350 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
Fruktsallad
Sure, why not.

The biggest issue I see with the bolded selection is that the moderation staff isn't 100% equipped to deal with that... Lots of us speak more than one language, but to have an entire SET of forums FULL of threads in different languages (and then getting reports in said language) is more than a little overwhelming for the current set up. sweatdrop If users didn't report, and if we didn't have a mod who spoke the language on hand to sift through threads, serious problems could get left for much longer than is desirable / become bigger problems.

On the whole, I personally think that while the idea is nice, it isn't necessary to Gaia, as most of the content that makes Gaia "Gaia" is what the users are bringing to the table.
Global Gaia ^^

Original Ladykiller

12,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
GIVE ME FRENCH.

Oh god I would ******** love this.
I'd wait for it.

Also, lol @ everyone going "omfg this isn't facebook/gaia is american only"

just lol
lol man

Kawaii Shoujo

19,600 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
haligonian
GIVE ME FRENCH.

I'd wait for it.

just lol
lol man

I didn't go "omfg this isn't Facebook/Gaia is American only." I'm against this because we already have an International forum that people can go to if they want to converse in different languages. And like I stated in my post on the first page, there are a lot of languages that exist in the world. What would happen if Gaia chose to only translate half those languages? I can only see complaints from people whose language is not available. I go on language exchange sites like Lang-8 and Smart.Fm regularly, and there's approximately 99 languages listed plus the option "other languages."

Flameinexile already addressed the issue of having every single forum translated into several different languages.

Quotable Lunatic

[Chocolate Apple]
"We?"

This is an American website, so it's English. Reading it in my own language would feel like Neopets. Plus, this is Gaia and NOT Facebook.

Please go to the Site Feedback Forum is you have suggestions for Gaia.

I'm sorry, but what?

o_O

I can see how Gaia can be compared to Neopets in some instances. Not all, but some.

But to compare the language feature as being something like Neopets?

What?

Tons of sites have it. Google has it. Yahoo. Wikipedia.

Seriously? neutral

----

Honestly, as someone who is learning to speak Spanish, it would be totally awesome. I would pick up the words for inventory, shops, games, etc immediately.

But as carbon said and others have addressed, it isn't feasible or necessary at this point. About 85% of the people on this site live in the US and Canada and of the other 15%, a large percentage of that is people in the UK. The predominant language used here is English. In part, because it IS an English-based site, but also, because it is not a popular site in other countries. Users don't see advertisements for it on the websites they go to. They don't know it exists. Changes like this come out of necessity, not opportunity. Gaia is too small to be multi-lingual (Flameinexile hit the nail on the head for this).

Unless we did something facebook-esque, Gaia would need to hire translators. Think of it as for every one language, we need one more translator. That costs money.

Original Ladykiller

12,500 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
Kanashii Sakura Uta
haligonian
GIVE ME FRENCH.

I'd wait for it.

just lol
lol man

I didn't go "omfg this isn't Facebook/Gaia is American only." I'm against this because we already have an International forum that people can go to if they want to converse in different languages. And like I stated in my post on the first page, there are a lot of languages that exist in the world. What would happen if Gaia chose to only translate half those languages? I can only see complaints from people whose language is not available. I go on language exchange sites like Lang-8 and Smart.Fm regularly, and there's approximately 99 languages listed plus the option "other languages."

Flameinexile already addressed the issue of having every single forum translated into several different languages.
Wow okay take a chill pill.

Obviously it's going to be hard to translate a lot of languages. And obviously not everyone is going to be pleased.
But that's life. Of course.
Although, as you should know, most languages branch off from a 'main' one (Spanish > Italian, French > Canadian French) so that 'main' languages should suffice.

And I don't think the devs for Gaia are stupid enough to attempt to make a code to translate the forums entirely into another language.
Sorry that you "can only see complaints".
All I see is awesome.

And yeah. An international forum doesn't really cut it. That thing is just a bunch of... things jumbled together in one forum without any subforums. Yeah. Real useful.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff