Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Humorist

11,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Okay, so that topic title is a little over-dramatic in comparison to what this thread is about, but it's still... kind of relevant?

We've all watched a lot of anime. We've watched anime that we loved, and we've watched anime that we've hated. Today, we're going to talk about the anime that made us feel... Well, just plain uncomfortable. The ones that we don't really like talking about, because of the affect... positive or negative... that they had on us.

For example, the Adolescence movie from Revolutionary Girl Utena. The main couple from Koi Kaze. The Ending of Berserk. Or in Digimon Tamers, how... off Juri was.

So lets do this, comrades. Let's dig deep, open up those old and fresh wounds alike, and get down to the discussion. You can talk as much or as little about any anime that disturbed you, confused you, depressed you, or just made you feel kinda weird.

Bonus points if it's Now and Then, Here and There.

Gracious Tycoon

Hoc cor mei metum atrum lacrimat...

I watched both the Evangelion series and Akira when I was very young.

Though now, I've seen to much of the world for any cartoon to hurt me.

...atqui animus meus insaniam sanguinat albam.
User Image

THIS ******** RIGHT HERE. emotion_donotwant
The Groke was the bane of my childhood nightmares, and it was going to come and take me away in the night, every night, until I was about six. Cheers for that, Moomins.

Aged Codger

Shintaro Kago needs to stop taking drugs, or at least take drugs one at a time.
Now and Then, Here and There, now where's my bouns points?

Shameless Codger

Hetalia was so bad it made me feel like a rape victim.

Eloquent Humorist

11,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Reneereload2

I've already put them in your pocket.

Handsome Hero

Dont_Fear_the_Reefer

Now and Then, Here and There is one of my all time favorite anime, ever.
It made me feel so many feels, man. It's just too good.
The way it handles war and rape and ugghhh, it's realistic, and therefore compelling and mildly disturbing in its own right.
I bet if I watched it again now as an adult I could definitely appreciate it more, but when I watched it back in middle school I was absolutely enthralled by it and the story telling.

I need to bust out my DVD's and marathon it, oh gosh.
Dont_Fear_the_Reefer
Reneereload2

I've already put them in your pocket.

Yay! Thanks~

Beloved Shapeshifter

I can't remember the name of the series, but it involved these humanlike figures who have these plugs that they put into power transformers and then plug into a human to make them happy. In the first episode, this chick with red hair hasn't met her quota and has to stay in the human world until she does. Sounds very benign, right? Just wait for it because while trying to follow one girl whose near depression to a suicidal level, the red haired one from a different world has a run-in with the depressed girl's brother, where he punches the character trying to make his sister happy. Her reaction to the punch: to piss herself after she hits the ground. Eventually, more like that red-haired chick appear around this guy and it turns into a messed-up harem series... Each one pissing themselves after the dude punches them. I think I only watched 2 or 3 eps, but am kinda thinking about watching it again.

Lonely Regular

10,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Junior 100
User Image
"To the one I love..

Back in the day, I thought Princess Mononoke was weird. That deer thing with the gooey substance disturbed me.

Tenchi Muyo! was probably the first anime that got me feeling weird down there.

There's probably more but that's all I remember at the moment.

..prepare to die."
User Image

Dapper Ladykiller

The manga Beautiful Blue. Never ever read a yaoi based on art and not read the description. One guy was mentally retarded. Like, seriously. It was the most awkward and horrible thing I've read.

Unbeatable Cutesmasher

14,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Over Easy 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
unless its a farm
Dont_Fear_the_Reefer

Now and Then, Here and There is one of my all time favorite anime, ever.
It made me feel so many feels, man. It's just too good.
The way it handles war and rape and ugghhh, it's realistic, and therefore compelling and mildly disturbing in its own right.
I bet if I watched it again now as an adult I could definitely appreciate it more, but when I watched it back in middle school I was absolutely enthralled by it and the story telling.

I need to bust out my DVD's and marathon it, oh gosh.
I love that show too. It's depressing, but it's so good.
I also have it on DVD, just re-watched it not long ago.

Hmm, probably the most messed up anime thing I've seen is the episode of Ghost in the Shell SAC called "Jungle Cruise". I've seen a lot of violent anime (Deadman Wonderland anyone?), but this dude skins people alive and hacks their brains so they have to watch the whole thing from his perspective. Even if it's not explicitly depicted, just the idea is disturbing as hell.

Loyal Bibliophile

12,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
I'm usually pretty hard to phase. I mean, I first watched Watership Down back in the 80's (I read the book the first time in third grade, I had watched the movie more than once even before that) and despite some of the imagery and content (it's PG13, not a little kid's movie) it didn't really disturb me at all.

however, around the time I was in first grade I watched this anime movie called Ringing Bell. the box the VHS came in said it was by the same studio that did the Unico movies, which I adored. I just had to watch it, and after all, what harm could come from a movie about a cute little lamb?

so, yeah, the ending from that movie had me going eek gonk cry crying crying crying
the message of the movie pretty much could be summed up as "a sheep should never try to be a wolf, because if it does it will never fit in as a sheep or a wolf and come to a terrible end." Chirin being completely rejected and forced to wander alone at the end had me heartbroken, the narration indicating at the very end that he dies alone in a snowstorm had me afraid to watch the movie again for the better part of a decade.

yes, it traumatized me where Watership Down couldn't even traumatize me. this kodomo anime based on a little kids book did something an animated PG13 film with militarized Nazi rabbits and Hitler in rabbit form (the Efrafa warren and General Woundwart) couldn't do. Ringing Bell was the first, and pretty much the only, anime to leave me feeling almost violated after watching it.

Friendly Sophomore

5,150 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Befriended 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Elfen Lied. It was hard for me to make it past the first sequence. I did... but... crying

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff