Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Gaian

7,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Junior Trader 100
Face and body. I'm a guy and I shave my face 3+ times per week. I don't exactly get razor burn, but sometimes the hairs grow back in wrong and I get what appears to be acne, but not severe enough to be using those drugstore acne kits. (Whenever I'd use them my face dried out and broke out more)

So for the past 3 months I've been using Cetaphil twice a day, and an Acnefree moisturizer with .5 salicylic acid. It has no SPF though. After I shave with a 5 blade razor and shaving gel, I'd use Nivea post shave balm which used to do a great job removing redness, but now I feel after a year of using it it's doing nothing.

I shower once to twice a day, if I go to the gym. I use any body wash and find myself buying a different brand each time. I'd like something that really prevents blemishes on your chest, shoulders and back. I do weight lifting 5 times per week so that testosterone boost from that, plus the amount of dairy and bad s**t in my diet I get, my skin is far from perfect. I noticed if I shower excessively my skin looks worse, so am I supposed to be using a body lotion each day?

As for face masks, the only one I have is Freeman clay mask that I use once per week right after I shave. Someone please introduce me to the world of useful facial masks.

Any time I do get a white head, it gets worse once you break the skin because it dries out around it, then scabs over, and doesn't look pleasant for at least a week. Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid both seem to do nothing for any existing acne I get. It just dries the skin around it and leaves red spots on my face.

I'd like to start over on my skin care routine and get it right this time with the help of you guys. Please comment and feel free to ask me anything
You shower way too often. Try to limit it to every other day, or once a day if you work out every day. Use a mild body wash, free of SLS and SLES. If your skin feels dry, you need some body lotion, an exfoliator can prevent blemishes.

To prevent the ingrown hairs, make sure you only shave with the direction of the hairs with a very fresh razor blade. It doesn't ''cure'' hairs which are already ingrown, but it prevents new ones from happening.

Clean Gaian

7,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Junior Trader 100
Pikkewyn
You shower way too often. Try to limit it to every other day, or once a day if you work out every day. Use a mild body wash, free of SLS and SLES. If your skin feels dry, you need some body lotion, an exfoliator can prevent blemishes.

To prevent the ingrown hairs, make sure you only shave with the direction of the hairs with a very fresh razor blade. It doesn't ''cure'' hairs which are already ingrown, but it prevents new ones from happening.

Any products that really remove redness from your face? From acne and ingrown hairs? My skin is very pale so red looks more gross. Tea tree oil did, but it would turn it white and dry out my skin where I'd use it. I'll try to not shower more than once per day. I usually shower first thing in the morning, then if I workout at 8pm I would shower the sweat off so not to go to bed dirty. My skin seems to give me less problems when I'm sweaty and gross apposed to when I over clean myself.

What are some good choices for body lotion? The only thing I have on me is Cocoa Butter. Would that give a negative effect on my chest, shoulders, and back? (It was cheap and has a bunch of ingredients in it. Which sounds bad)

Thank you for the reply. Been waiting hours sad I try to change my razor often
Kyusinx
Pikkewyn

Any products that really remove redness from your face? From acne and ingrown hairs? My skin is very pale so red looks more gross. Tea tree oil did, but it would turn it white and dry out my skin where I'd use it. I'll try to not shower more than once per day. I usually shower first thing in the morning, then if I workout at 8pm I would shower the sweat off so not to go to bed dirty. My skin seems to give me less problems when I'm sweaty and gross apposed to when I over clean myself.

What are some good choices for body lotion? The only thing I have on me is Cocoa Butter. Would that give a negative effect on my chest, shoulders, and back? (It was cheap and has a bunch of ingredients in it. Which sounds bad)

Thank you for the reply. Been waiting hours sad I try to change my razor often
If the hairs are still ingrown, you can use products to remove the redness but it will stay. In order to get rid of them you have to get it out. The safest way to do this is by going to someone who knows what they are doing, like a beautician.

If you shower in the evening and your bedsheets are clean, you will still be clean in the morning so you do not need a shower again. Body lotion should not give negative effects on acne, especially if you shower a lot (like you do, even daily showers are quite a lot). By showering every day you strip your body of its natural moisture, which causes your skin to make even more sebum which can cause breakouts. Therefore it is smart to moisturize your face if you have acne. Both your face and your body. Your safest bet for moisturisers will be oil-free ones, and moisturisers which lack perfumes and other things that can irritate your skin. Oil-free moisturisers usually have a more gel-like texture rather than a thick cream. Look under creams for acne-prone skin, but also under those for dry and/or sensitive skin. Creams for sensitive skin are less likely to contain irritants. If you found one which appeals to you, do not directly buy it. Write down the name and google for reviews. I doubt whether the coconut one is a good one, but it is probably better than nothing.

This is a slow forum, so people usually have to wait quite some time for
Pikkewyn
You shower way too often.

If you think showering twice a day is "too often", you must not be a very clean person. emotion_puke
Rose Milk
Pikkewyn
You shower way too often.

If you think showering twice a day is "too often", you must not be a very clean person. emotion_puke
Uh, that is way too often. You can be perfectly clean without showering twice a day, 'cause that's a lot.

Clean Gaian

7,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Junior Trader 100
So I'm trying to shower less often, less time in shower, and not take as hot of a shower. Does anyone know how to properly treat a white head? And ways to get rid of inflammation that actually work?

How many times do you wash your face per day? I only do morning and before bed, and use a moisturizer after both times. I also use witches hazel once per day, but it doesn't seem to do anything for acne that's already there.

Feral Kitten

It's better to wash your face once a day with whatever cleanser you use. Just like with showering, it's better to not over cleanse your face or else you will just aggravate the skin. In the morning you can rinse off your face with warm water and a washcloth if you feel the need to exfoliate it, pat your face dry with a clean towel, and go over it with an astringent and/or toner and lotion. After you exercise you should probably do the same or just rinse it off without applying anything but lotion afterwards. At night is when you should use your cleanser and follow up again with toner/astringent and lotion.

Friendly Bookworm

Kyusinx
Face and body. I'm a guy and I shave my face 3+ times per week. I don't exactly get razor burn, but sometimes the hairs grow back in wrong and I get what appears to be acne, but not severe enough to be using those drugstore acne kits. (Whenever I'd use them my face dried out and broke out more)

So for the past 3 months I've been using Cetaphil twice a day, and an Acnefree moisturizer with .5 salicylic acid. It has no SPF though. After I shave with a 5 blade razor and shaving gel, I'd use Nivea post shave balm which used to do a great job removing redness, but now I feel after a year of using it it's doing nothing.

I shower once to twice a day, if I go to the gym. I use any body wash and find myself buying a different brand each time. I'd like something that really prevents blemishes on your chest, shoulders and back. I do weight lifting 5 times per week so that testosterone boost from that, plus the amount of dairy and bad s**t in my diet I get, my skin is far from perfect. I noticed if I shower excessively my skin looks worse, so am I supposed to be using a body lotion each day?

As for face masks, the only one I have is Freeman clay mask that I use once per week right after I shave. Someone please introduce me to the world of useful facial masks.

Any time I do get a white head, it gets worse once you break the skin because it dries out around it, then scabs over, and doesn't look pleasant for at least a week. Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid both seem to do nothing for any existing acne I get. It just dries the skin around it and leaves red spots on my face.

I'd like to start over on my skin care routine and get it right this time with the help of you guys. Please comment and feel free to ask me anything

What you may be getting on your face after shaving is Barbae Folliculitus. It looks like acne but it is caused by improper shaving. I would since I can't see/touch your face (or licensed to diagnose it) to see a skin care professional on it. They can lead you to some help. And if all else fails... grow a beard! I supplied a link with a little info on a few tips you can at least do/try and see if it helps. If you need to shave, try shaving in a downward motion rather than upward.

By the looks of your post, you are overworking your skin by stripping it of its natural oils, making your skin over compensate for the loss of it and causing breakouts. Cut back on the showering to every other day (It's not that bad, trust me) and after you go to the gym and have worked out. Use a more gentle cleanser on both face and body. I would say look for some for sensitive skin and see how it goes.

You may also want to work on the diet part. Cut back on the dairy a bit and opt for more fruits and veggies. Also, not sure what your fitness goal is but testosterone boosts can trigger acne. See your doctor about this.

Body lotion should be used when skin is dry, and best applied with skin is freshly washed. So, only after a shower should you apply a little lotion, just enough to get absorbed quickly, not to be a grease monkey.

Last tip: Don't touch the acne! You're scarring your skin from improperly extracting the comedone.

Forgot to add, here's a helpful guide to a man's skin routine:
- Shaving Needs
- Facial Cleanser
- Moisturizer and/containing SPF.

Hope it helps. I'm not a doctor/dermatologist but have a gist of how to kinda help on a few problems here.
I bought a ingrown hair solution thing, that is suppose to 'heal' it.

You should look it up!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces