Welcome to Gaia! ::

Or other stones that look similar, e.g., cubic zirconium.

I ask because I find that I'm more partial to other types of stones and I may be getting engaged fairly soon.

I know I'm the only one whose opinion should ultimately matter, but I'm asking out of curiosity (and maybe hoping that I won't have to explain to anyone that it's an engagement ring, haha).

Eloquent Vampire

Diamonds are overrated, and boring. There are so many other more beautiful, unique, cool stones out there.

Like tanzanite, opals, amethyst, sapphires, Swarovski crystals which are much more glittery than diamonds, among countless other more unique stones than diamonds.

Freaking "chocolate diamonds". They're just shitty grade diamonds usually turned into drill bits or edged cutting blades, then they figured out if they named them after something else women supposedly like, "chocolate", they'd sell them for hundreds of times their actual value...
Jagger-Wolf
Diamonds are overrated, and boring. There are so many other more beautiful, unique, cool stones out there.

Like tanzanite, opals, amethyst, sapphires, Swarovski crystals which are much more glittery than diamonds, among countless other more unique stones than diamonds.

Freaking "chocolate diamonds". They're just shitty grade diamonds usually turned into drill bits or edged cutting blades, then they figured out if they named them after something else women supposedly like, "chocolate", they'd sell them for hundreds of times their actual value...

It's nice to see someone who feels the same as I do. Diamonds are nice, but I don't think they're really my "style" so to speak.

I think opals are absolutely gorgeous and I would love to have one on my engagement ring.

Eloquent Vampire

Dustiest Gozongas
Jagger-Wolf

It's nice to see someone who feels the same as I do. Diamonds are nice, but I don't think they're really my "style" so to speak.

I think opals are absolutely gorgeous and I would love to have one on my engagement ring.
And how boring is it when women show off their rings and it's the same diamond crap that every other woman gets? The only difference being maybe design and cut of the stones, and their sizes.

Boooorrrriiiinnnng. Gimme something with some personality, some thought, some unique flare and color. So when I show it off, it's actually interesting. talk2hand
Jagger-Wolf
Dustiest Gozongas
Jagger-Wolf

And how boring is it when women show off their rings and it's the same diamond crap that every other woman gets? The only difference being maybe design and cut of the stones, and their sizes.

Boooorrrriiiinnnng. Gimme something with some personality, some thought, some unique flare and color. So when I show it off, it's actually interesting. talk2hand

My sentiments exactly. emotion_brofist

Fashionable Gekko

11,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Trader 100
  • Cart Raider 100
I dont care for engagements. Now as far as my wedding ring goes, I really want an orange heart shaped diamond or a band that has pink and blue diamonds all over it. White diamonds are so boring. I need colorful jewels 4laugh

Hygienic Member

my mums engagement ring was sapphires with tiny tiny accent diamonds and i think it looks far far better than any regular boring engagement ring.

though, i would say, expect to get a lot of stupid questions like 'wheres the diamond?' or 'was your partner too cheap to buy you a diamond?'
tokkis
my mums engagement ring was sapphires with tiny tiny accent diamonds and i think it looks far far better than any regular boring engagement ring.

though, i would say, expect to get a lot of stupid questions like 'wheres the diamond?' or 'was your partner too cheap to buy you a diamond?'

Yup that's exactly the type of question I don't want to hear, lol. I suppose I can get over that though.

Eloquent Vampire

Dustiest Gozongas
tokkis

Yup that's exactly the type of question I don't want to hear, lol. I suppose I can get over that though.
I'm a bit of an a*****e, so my response to "Was your partner too cheap to buy you a diamond?" would be "Of course not! He's smart enough to know when he's getting ripped off by a 100+ year old ad campaign for stones that were, before then, considered invaluable and knows me well enough to actually get what I want."

Or to "Where's the diamond?", I'd say "On some boring a** ho's finger, not mine."

I hate when people try to call you out when you do something non-traditional or strange. Like it's any of their business why you got/picked what you did, some people like to, I dunno, actually do something different for a change.

Fashionable Noob

I'm a little old fashioned so i would want gold and a diamond, but i love all the artisan and creative stuff people have been making! I see a lot of alternative engagement ring idea articles these days.

I think if you need to be on a budget though any alternative that's long lasting and meaningful is great. I'd rather encourage someone to buy silver and a semi precious stone than end up at walmart to buy some cubic zirconium plated unoriginal piece of crap.
My ring has a sapphire for a center stone. See.
While diamonds are pretty... they're just not for me.

I say get something that's you. After all - you will be the one wearing it! =)
Sapphire is my birthstone and I've always loved sapphires.

The only downside to rings with different center stones is there are very few options.
It was extremely hard for me to find a ring I liked and in the metal we wanted.
My ring is actually from Etsy and it's semi-custom.
I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a ring that has a different stone than a diamond. I would not get a CZ ring though. I would want something that doesn't look like a diamond, that way people won't think I was being cheap and trying to fool others into thinking I had a diamond.

I personally like diamonds because they go well with anything. They can reflect light and give off cool or warm tones and I think they're beautiful. I also like sapphires too because they come in just about every color.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
I'm not into wearing rings nor do I ever plan on getting engaged or married, but I find rings with two or more gems on it pretty and interesting. For example, plain ol' diamond rings are boring and unoriginal for me. But when you add other gemstones to it, it becomes more interesting to look at.

But wanna know what ring I'd really like to have if I were to wear one? This.
Honestly, I think diamonds are falling out of favour anyway. It was a fake demand created by clever marketing to begin with, so it's not too surprising that it would eventually trend out. Particularly considering all of the controversy behind certain diamond sources, ahem.

Friends who have recently gotten engaged/married have had diamonds as 'side' stones, but none have had them as their main focal stones. A few examples:

- One friend's ring is an antique, having been estimated to be from the early 1900s. The exact year can't be determined because the hallmark was distorted when a previous owner had the ring resized by someone who didn't know what they were doing. The design is all natural seed pearls wrapping the band, with a central focal pearl and diamond chip accents. Very tiny and delicate. Her band was designed to compliment and 'wrap' around the engagement ring.

- Another friend's engagement ring is a square cut emerald with molded accents (no other stones). She doesn't have her wedding band yet, but I think they've planned to have the engagement ring sort of slot into it, so they can be worn together nicely.

- A third friend's engagement ring is from Wexford Jeweller's rose line, with pearls inside the blossoms instead of diamonds. The engagement ring is a rosebud and vine and her wedding band is a larger rose and vine bunch that merges into the engagement band.

... and so on.

I know that when my mom and dad got engaged, he went for a traditional diamond, but she told me she'd always wanted an emerald. For their 25th anniversary, he had a 'new' engagement ring worked up for her with an emerald as the focal stone. It was really sweet.

Eloquent Vampire

spuntino

I know that when my mom and dad got engaged, he went for a traditional diamond, but she told me she'd always wanted an emerald. For their 25th anniversary, he had a 'new' engagement ring worked up for her with an emerald as the focal stone. It was really sweet.
That is so darn sweet. heart

I don't mind tiny diamonds or diamond shards as accent or even "filler" stones around a band, but as the focal point, I think they're just boring. The only way I'd take a diamond-focused ring is if it's an antique/vintage piece. Because I love antique and vintage pieces. My only real deal-breaker with a ring is if it's yellow gold. I absolutely HATE yellow gold. Any ring I'd get would have to be white gold at least, or silver, platinum, whatever. Freaking hate yellow gold, it just looks cheap and crappy to me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff