Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Should I be a...

dentist? 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 1 ]
biochemist? 0.88888888888889 88.9% [ 8 ]
Total Votes:[ 9 ]

Familiar Phantom

Hullooooo~

In the forseeable future I will be going to interviews in the hope that some nice university will take me in and teach me Science. I want to buy the minimum amount of clothes to wear to the interviews. I found a very simple smart dress in my sister's wardrobe so I would like to use that.

Context: UK. Applying for a science-related course. Size 8 (UK), 1.66m tall.

So this is what I have so far. What kind of jacket, style and colour, would go with a dress like this? I am swimming in hosiery so once I've a jacket, tights should be easy.

User Image

Without the frilly socks of course.

Gawker

I think a bright, bold coloured cardigan over the top should round the outfit off nicely. Like, a bright orange, mustard or something like that. Something that pops. I think that's all a simple little black dress like that needs.

I don't know about the unis you've applied to, or what they're looking for when applying for science, but when I went to my university interviews, I was one of the most dressed up people there, and I was only wearing a blue frilly, sleeveles blouse, black slim fit trousers and a navy cardigan over the top. Really, they're looking at the type of person you are. The way you look doesn't generally effect the way they see you as a prospective student, as it does in a job. Wear an outfit that makes you feel yourself and confident in what you're doing. But trying to look neat and proper is always a good sign though.

Familiar Phantom

Rhouis
I think a bright, bold coloured cardigan over the top should round the outfit off nicely. Like, a bright orange, mustard or something like that. Something that pops. I think that's all a simple little black dress like that needs.
I don't know about the unis you've applied to, or what they're looking for when applying for science, but when I went to my university interviews, I was one of the most dressed up people there, and I was only wearing a blue frilly, sleeveles blouse, black slim fit trousers and a navy cardigan over the top. Really, they're looking at the type of person you are. The way you look doesn't generally effect the way they see you as a prospective student, as it does in a job. Wear an outfit that makes you feel yourself and confident in what you're doing. But trying to look neat and proper is always a good sign though.

I do read that no one really cares what you wear to a uni interview but I would like to dress up just a little all the same!

I appreciate the difference between uni and job interviews, and I adore cardigans, but I think I am still set on a jacket of some sort 3nodding

I hope to have a shot at the red brick unis (e.g. Manchester Birmingham Liverpool), maybe Oxbridge if I go for biochemistry.

Oxford's website actually explicitly suggests wearing a jacket!

I really like the idea of having a little bit of a poppy colour, which could be achieved in the jacket. Or in the tights? Do you think wearing say opaque plum purple tights to an interview is appropriate? I have a pair and they are really not very saturated in colour.

Gawker

Cassaela
Rhouis

I do read that no one really cares what you wear to a uni interview but I would like to dress up just a little all the same!

I appreciate the difference between uni and job interviews, and I adore cardigans, but I think I am still set on a jacket of some sort 3nodding

I hope to have a shot at the red brick unis (e.g. Manchester Birmingham Liverpool), maybe Oxbridge if I go for biochemistry.

Oxford's website actually explicitly suggests wearing a jacket!

I really like the idea of having a little bit of a poppy colour, which could be achieved in the jacket. Or in the tights? Do you think wearing say opaque plum purple tights to an interview is appropriate? I have a pair and they are really not very saturated in colour.

That's understandable if you want to still dress up and prefer the blazer/jacket route. Those kind of unis are quite prestigious, and you definitely want to impress them.

I think tights could be a good way to add colour too. Especially something like plum. It's subtle, but still brightens up an outfit.

Hygienic Genius

^^^I like the idea of a plum-colored set of tights. Nothing too fancy, but it's still better than clear.

You can always wear colorful jewelry to make your outfit pop. Some nice small dangling earrings, matching necklace, and a bracelet can really put some details in your outfit.

Familiar Phantom

Nariana
^^^I like the idea of a plum-colored set of tights. Nothing too fancy, but it's still better than clear.
You can always wear colorful jewelry to make your outfit pop. Some nice small dangling earrings, matching necklace, and a bracelet can really put some details in your outfit.

Thanks! I'm not usually big on accessories but I am obliged to make an effort for interviews xD

Hygienic Genius

Yes, jewelry makes people want to look at you, which is what you want!
white blazer, skinny black and gold belt at the waist, simple geometric jewelry.

i hate the shoes, tbh.
they dress it down, and don't make sense with the shape of the dress or the situation.

go with basic black pumps and nude hose.

Familiar Phantom

deeluxe
white blazer, skinny black and gold belt at the waist, simple geometric jewelry.
i hate the shoes, tbh.
they dress it down, and don't make sense with the shape of the dress or the situation.
go with basic black pumps and nude hose.

I might try a skinny belt if I find one in my house somewhere. Most of my belts aren't that skinny xD
The shoes are my favourite heels (not that I have a lot of heels, ha) and I think they are quite formal. Though I can imagine me travelling to the place of the interview in flat black pumps (because they are just easier to travel in) and then deciding when I get there whether to wear heels!

Thank you for your suggestions 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces