Welcome to Gaia! ::

. N_A_I_L . C_A_R_E_.
. N_A_I_L . A_R_T_.
. N_A_I_L . P_O_L_I_S_H_.

User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

*disclaimer*
I am purely sharing the knowledge I have learned within my course; I am a Student undergoing a certified program to become a Esthetician.
This thread is to serve as a place for people to talk, as well as ask questions, or just come for advice if need be.

* disclaimer #2 *
For some reason; stating I am a student in the Esthetics field automatically means I know all about Nail Art.
I never claimed this.
This was a thread with the main purpose of others coming in to add to the Nail Art side of this. To post pictures of what they've done, and to come up with other ideas on what to design

* Nail Art ;; Links *
User Image
{any suggestions? Please feel free, I'll add them here; or personal tutorials}

Naritaz -- I had been looking for some simple designs for shorter nails, and I came across her's.
[ x ]
[ x ]

Oceasianails -- Seems to do most of her art with Acrylic pieces. But still, very interesting.
[ x ]

3TanjaJ3 -- Very wide selection of tutorial's she's done
[ x ]

Thanks to Lady Denna for Sharing a Tutorial she's found -- [ x ]

[********] Tutorials/Pictures
[********]

CutePolish a YouTube Tutorial
Some pictures by our Very Own: StealthNinjaKitteh -- [ x ]

Some had asked of proper ways to apply their nail polish without hitting the skin at the sides of the nail.
It was brought up by LacquerMuse that there is a tutorial on such a subject :3
[ x ]

* How to attempt these yourself? *
Sally Hansen Nail Art Pens
Dotting Pen -- If you do not own a Nail Art Pen; This can be dipped into a regular nail polish bottle and used as if it were a pen for Lines and making Dots.
Depending on the model you have, some come with a brush at the opposite end.

User Image

* Nail Art;; By Members *
User Image

Post 'em~

By Silverlyn!
PACMAN by Apryl
Pigy152's Personal Youtube Channel

. * {treatable}__D__i__s__o__r__d__e__r__s__.
User Image

Our nails are the biggest thing about the human body.
They can show you if something is wrong, or something has happened, just by looking at them.

User ImageThe most Basic "Disorder" [if it can even be called that] would be the dreaded:HANGNAIL.
Everyone knows it, everyone's had it. It gets caught on your shirts, pants or tights. It hurts like crazy when it's pulled.
When the Cuticle area becomes very dry it splits or tears from the area, exposed as a little flap of skin. It can also be due to the fact; the owner has cut too close to the nail plate itself, making the area more jagged, therefore allowing for the piece to grow outwards.
This can become fairly easily infected due to the fact we use our hands so much throughout the day. Any form of it catching on an item can tear it further irritating the area and possibly opening up a wound which bacteria can enter [lovely right?]
Nail biters are more susceptible to this.
Oils are a good way to get the cuticle hydrated again. Vitamin E Oils, Jojoba Oil, Emu oil, or Almond Oils. [Oils penetrate much deeper and quicker than thick creams]

User ImageEggshell{hapalonychia}
It's Soft, and thin bending nails. They have a rounded or a raised look to the nail bed.
The Nail does not grow past free edge very often, but If it does, the nail will follow natural curve of the finger and droop downwards.
Causes:
Usually caused by a poor diet -- Lacking vitamin B or D. It could also be results of illness, medication or aging
*Try to Eliminate nail polish removers and nail extensions; Avoid immersion in water to the best of your ability; and Be careful with manicures because nails are very fragile.

User ImageLengthwise Ridges{onychorrhexis}
Lengthwise ridges that run from cuticle to the free edge. There may be one or many ridges and can be slight or deep. Some may crack or split from the free edge.
Cause:
Poor circulation, damage to the matrix, nail infections, nail polish removers and other chemicals could possibly factor into this.
*Anyone with this effect should not apply fake nails and should avoid harsh removers. Buffing the nail every so often would benefit the appearance, and the free edge should be kept fairly short and straight.

User ImageTransverse Furrows or Grooves{Beau’s Lines}
Grooves the run across the width of the nail [side to side]. They look like an indentation in the nail; with either one furrow or many
Cause:
It's mostly a growth disorder due to a damaged matrix; or Digging at the cuticle, with improper use of nail machines or by accidental damage
*Keeping your nails short and straight could help, along with buffing the surface of the nail plate. Avoid Fake Nails.
Example of this: When fake nails are removed, there is a long indented mark. This shows how far down the people had to file, and is basically considered a Beau's Line.

User ImageWhite Spots{leukonychia}
White spots or bands on the Nail itself. The layers of the nail bed separate after injury and Air is trapped between layers preventing view of nail bed leading to white spots.
Cause:
Injury or pressure caused by typing, or playing of an instrument. Even every day activities can damage them from time to time as well.
When white spots appear and remain for long periods of time [months or even years] it can be because of a Zinc deficiency
*Only way to rid your nails of them is to let them grow out.
*Or taking Zinc tablets/vitamins/foods high in content

User ImageHypertrophy{onychauxis}
An Abnormally thickened nail plate.
Cause:
Poor circulation, fungal infections, aging, psoriasis or heredity.
Possible Trauma from improper footwear.
*File the surface smooth and Buff with a pumice or 3-way buffer.

Stained Nails
Nails have a yellowish or brownish appearance to the nail plate
Cause:
Illness could be a factor. Medication such as tetracycline or resorcinol in an acne lotion
Smoking [Definitely]
Wearing nail polish without a base coat to protect the nails from the dyes
Aging is another cause

Flaking, Brittle, or Breaking Nails
A Dull, flat appearance on surface of nail bed. They look dry with splitting and flaking of the free edge. They have Little or no flexibility.
Cause:
Mainly dehydration caused by continuous and excessive use of nail polish and detergents
Other factors could be poor diet, aging and medication
Protein enriched base coats are best for problem nails like this.

.__R__e__c__o__m__m__e__n__d__a__t__i__o__n__s__.
User Image

{please feel free to suggest some}

User Image

Care

* Solar Oil -- [ x ]
* Vitamin E Moisturizing Oil{dry&brittle nails}
* Green Tea+Bamboo Strengthener{peeling nails}
* For those with deep ridges: A Ridge Filler
* No More Biting -- [ x ]

Polish&Other

China Glaze -- [ x ]
The ever popular; Sephora -- [ x ]
Sally Hansen -- [ x ]
Nicole by OPI --[ x ]
OPI -- [ x ]
Rimmel London -- [ x ]
Sally's Beauty Supply Store -- [ x ]
Sinful Colours {thank you Aerobe} -- [ x ]
Essie {mostly have soft subtle colours} -- [ x ]
CND -- [ x ]
Nubar // Vegan and Cruelty-free {thank you Ellebear} -- [ x ]
Zoya // Vegan-friendly -- [ x ]
Dotting Nail Pen -- [ x ]

Polish Bottle Cleaning Tips
After using the Nail Polish a couple times, you sometimes notice build up around the bottles neck, Right? Well, letting that build up actually allows oxygen to enter the bottle while it sits closed with it's cap. The cap actually isn't sealing the bottle enough like it did when it was newer. At least once week {or every other week},
you should clean off the neck of the bottle with Nail Polish remover on a small cotton pad.
Make sure you do the same with the inside area of the Cap as well.

A Message on Fake Nails
User Image
{I'm not saying everyone gets this; but some people can or may have}

Getting Acrylic nails put on is probably one of the worst things that you could possibly do to your nails.
They grind down the nail plate so far, that is weakens them, putting you in the potenital zone of having them break easier when the acrylic nails are on top. This can then cause infections which are incredibly painful and annoying; removing the acrylic nails becomes a painful chore since the removers for the acrylic nails gets into the wound, and stings.

Another thing about fake nails is that, when they are applied, the way most are made, make them sit very close to the free edge of the skin.This creates a little cave under the nails, which is dark, and usually damp. Not much air can get to the area, so your fingers start to sweat much more in the little creaves. This is the perfect breeding ground for Fungus and Bateria.
● ○ ● ○ [ C a y L ii и ] «
Once__The__FAD__Permeates__
__It`s__hip__to__”care”__
&&hip__to__hate it__
User Image

*falls asleep*
    Yay a thread by someone that knows what they're talking about!

7,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
User Image

Yay!

I knew yours would be better then that horrible not even half asser!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Hey I already learned something! I have very slight lengthwise ridges, just at the base of my nail. I do have pretty bad circulation, and my nails are always painted, so that's probably why I guess.
&&hip__to__hate it__
User Image

I have Lengthwise ridges on all my nails; though they are very faint.
My right thumb usually has it the worst.

I had some pretty weird theories about where the lines came from, glad that's cleared up. XD

I need to get a good nail buffer, I find they work good for one or two uses, then they're worn down. ):
Quezie
I had some pretty weird theories about where the lines came from, glad that's cleared up. XD

I need to get a good nail buffer, I find they work good for one or two uses, then they're worn down. ):
&&hip__to__hate it__
User Image

Purchase a Buffer Block :3
They vary in sizes. The biggest I've seen was the size of the palm of my hand.

Cayliin
Quezie

&&hip__to__hate it__
User Image

Purchase a Buffer Block :3
They vary in sizes. The biggest I've seen was the size of the palm of my hand.

I've had buffer blocks, but not the right kind I guess. ):
&&hip__to__hate it__
User Image

D; Oh man.
I love buffer blocks; Just because I have more room to work with on them than with a file. [I've cut myself a couple times with a file]

Phantom

Well, gee. At least now I know I have reallly horrible nails. And I hardly ever use nail polish or anything.

I have the ridges... hangnails all the time... Severely brittle nails (aside from thumbs), and I'm not sure what's wrong with my right thumbnail. Six years ago I caught it in a car door jam and it's been screwed up ever since. Half of it is yellow, and thick, and my nail grows unevenly now. One side grows alot faster than the other.

Any ideas how to go about fixing all this so I can has pretty natural nails?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff