Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
[♥The NEW Gyaru Thread♥]
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

[1]Index/Updates
[2]About Gyaru
[3]Types of Gyaru
[4]Makeup, Hair, and Nails +Tutorials
[5]Where to Buy
[6]Gaijin Gals, Blogging, and Gal Circles
[7]Rules
[8]Introduce Yourself
[9]Want Critique?
[10]Extra

News/Updates:
This thread is created because the old gyaru thread has died. The creator of it can no longer update or maintain it. - December 20th, 2011
Thread updated with tutorials and a critique section is added. - January 6th, 2012

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
[♥About Gyaru♥]

Gyaru, a transliteration of the word Gal, is a very popular Japanese street style. Although it started in the early 80s, it is still considered to be a youth movement. Instead of the more demure look that Japan's culture accepts these girls go for big hair, wild clothes, and heavily western inspired makeup. They are known for "man-made" beauty, as most wear enlarging circle lenses, hair pieces, false nails, false lashes, and expensive clothing.

Despite the popularity of the style they are still often looked down upon and seen as party girls. This causes many of them to be able to do nothing more than jobs paying little above minimum wage.

Many people in the western world aren't familiar with the term Gyaru, and are instead more familiar with Kogyaru/Kogal or Ganguro. These styles are a part of gyaru, kogyaru referring to girls still in highschool and ganguro being the first tanned style.

Gyaru is starting to gain popularity in other countries. It has spread steadily through Asia and is now also becoming popular in parts of europe and the states. These girls are called "Gaijin Gyaru" or "Foreign Gals" (See later post).

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
♥[Different Types of Gyaru♥]

There are many sub-styles within gyaru, these are the most common ones.

Gyaru-kei: The general gyaru style. it is ever-changing but has a focus on being trendy and alluring without losing the cute factor.

Agejo: Sometimes known as "hostess style" agejo is very focused on being alluring and glamourous, the eye makeup is dark and extra enlarging, the hair is large and elaborate, and the clothes often incorporate lingerie pieces. While hostess's frequently wear this style it's not exclusive to them and is very popular among foreign gals. Ma*rs is popular.

Hime Gyaru/Princess Gal: Hime gyaru do all they can to follow a "princess" look. They wear long almost lolita type dresses and skirts and the hair is always very large and generally involves a bee hive or pouf. The hair is almost always blonde or very light brown. The main brand is Jesus Diamante.

Amekaji/American Casual: This style is very bright and tries to mimic american casual wear. Denim is extremely common and hair and makeup is usually kept simple and playful. Cocolulu is worn almost exclusively.

Onee-Kei: Known as "Older Sister Gal" this style is more mature than most and focuses a lot on more international trends and looking very sleek. Labels like Chanel and Armani are most popular. Compares to Serebu Gal and Mode Gyaru.

Rokku-Kei/Rocker Style: Fairly self explanatory. Chains, denim, and black are often worn. D.I.A. is popular.

Romantic/Sweet Gyaru: Also self-explanatory. Silk camisoles, full skirts, and bow details are usually seen. Liz Lisa is popular. Compares to Himekaji(Princess Casual)

There are many, many others including Amuro, B-Gyaru, Rasuta(Rasta), Kuronba, Bohemian, Yanki, Baika, Serebu(Celebrity), Ora Ora-Kei, Kuronba, and Banba then dead styles such as Yamanba, and Ganguro.

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
[♥Hair, Makeup, and Nails♥]
+Tutorials

Gyaru hair tends to vary a lot based on not only sub-style, but by individual preferences. The general consensus is that is has to look finished and have tons of volume. The most common style is long hair with loose curls. Bleached hair is most commonly seen and shades can be anything from dark brown to white. Wigs, half wigs, extensions, and bang pieces are popular and useful.

Tutorials
Japanese magazine Scans:
Straight Hair
Short Curly Hair
Loose Wavy Hair
Bob

Youtube Videos:
Loose Curls
Sideswept Bangs
Hime Gyaru

Gyaru makeup is really what pulls the whole look together and makes it different from other styles. There are many different ways to do the makeup but you can see that there is a pattern. False lashes and circle lenses are what really make the makeup pop. The face makeup includes lots of pink blush and contouring/highlighting around the nose area. As with all makeup, well groomed eyebrows and a good base are also very important.

Tutorials
Japanese Magazine Scans:
Basic Makeup
Sweet Makeup
Thick Makeup
Mode Makeup
Face Makeup

Youtube Videos:
Simple Gyaru Tutorial
Contouring
False Eyelashes
Manba Makeup Tutorial (Extreme)

Gyaru nails are always shaped and taken care of, but are usually more elaborate. Long nails with deco pieces are very common and nails are sometimes shaped to points.

Tutorials
Youtube Videos:
Setting Up Nails to be Decorated

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
[♥Gaijin Gals, Blogging, and Gal Circles♥]

Gaijin Gals, as I mentioned earlier, are people in other countries who have adopted gyaru as their own. Many of these people make multiple visits to Japan to shop, mingle, and absorb the culture. There are many blogs written by these gals that make for a very interesting read, and are great for getting a good idea of current gyaru from a fellow outsider.

Gaijin Gyaru Blogs:
Universal Doll
Moments Like Diamonds
Kira Kira Dreams
Sui Princess
Pikku Pin

A really great part of gyaru is that they also often create gyarusa or gal circles with other gyaru for hanging out in or hosting events. These circles are popping up all over the world and it's a great way to keep up your style and have fun doing it. You can also start a circle in your area to try to find other gyaru!

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
[♥Rules♥]

1. Follow the TOS.
2. Don't be a jerk.

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
[♥Gyaru on Gaia♥]

Username: Lolliepawp
Name: Veronica
When did you discover gyaru?: ...not sure. Probably a few years ago but i didn't really know what it was. I came across it from the internet maybe.
Are you gyaru yourself?: I am not but I'd love to beeeeee I do wear circle lenses sometimes.
If so, what style do you like to dress in?: I love all of the styles but I guess I'd dress more of the casual/cute type.
Do you have a blog? Please list if yes: Nope o3o

Username: Celessy
Name: Patricia Roxane
When did you discover gyaru?: December 2011
Are you gyaru yourself?: Working on it!
If so, what style do you like to dress in?: I've dressed in a combo of gyaru-kei and onee-gyaru since beginning college. Since I'm heading toward grad school I'm focusing on onee-gyaru and starting to apply make-up/ contacts/ nails.
Do you have a blog? Please list if yes: Nope

Username: Sweetly Adorables
Name: Katie
When did you discover gyaru?: A couple years ago
Are you gyaru yourself?: Not yet, but I would love to be a Gyaru Lolita. :3
If so, what style do you like to dress in?:
Do you have a blog? Please list if yes:

Name/Username: SakiOhMa
When did you discover gyaru?: I'm not exactly sure, actually. My interest was probably sparked growing up watching Sailor Moon and reading the Gals! manga.
Are you gyaru yourself?: I wish. I have a lot of work to do. I really want to buy circle lenses.
If so, what style do you like to dress in?: I sometimes dress in my own variation of a kogyaru. I love Japanese school girl uniforms and loose socks. I'm not sure if this relates to Gyaru, but I'm also a huge fan of Udoli.

Username: Rainbow Tenticruel
Name: Erin
When did you discover gyaru?: 2010
Are you gyaru yourself?: I'd like to be!
If so, what style do you like to dress in?: I like rokku-kei, gyaru-kei, sweet gyaru, and onee-kei the best
Do you have a blog? Please list if yes: http://the-totoro.blogspot.com/

Username: intothesunsetdearest
Name: Cyanide
When did you discover gyaru?: A few years ago
Are you gyaru yourself?: Aspiring
If so, what style do you like to dress in?: Rocker
Do you have a blog? Please list if yes: None of interest right now.

Username: Tora Tora Ouji
Name: Tora
When did you discover gyaru?: A couple of years ago~
Are you gyaru yourself?: Yes ^^!
If so, what style do you like to dress in?: I wear usually gyaru-o clothes, but my make up and hair are usually either agejo or hime styled depending on my mood
Do you have a blog? Please list if yes: unfortunately, no ;n;

Username: Chanda Jay
Name: Chanda
When did you discover gyaru?: When I was about 12 I picked up a copy of "GALS!" and then I was led back into in April 2011 when I started liking circle lenses.
Are you gyaru yourself?: I'm working on it, but I think the answer will be yes in no time.
If so, what style do you like to dress in?: Right now it's gyaru kei, but I like himekaji, agejo, rokku-kei, and tsuyome.
Do you have a blog? Please list if yes: Of course, *click*

Username: Aya Koroshiya
Name: あや
When did you discover gyaru? I've kinda been into all the Japanese fashion since I was little. So, hard to say when because I have always been informed.
Are you gyaru yourself? I would say yes. I like to mix up my styles every now and then though.
If so, what style do you like to dress in? Just whatever I feel like. Goes with my mood.
Do you have a blog? Please list if yes: Yes, I do. My Blog~

Use this form if you want to be put here.

[align=center][color=indigo][b]Name:
Are you gyaru yourself?:
If so, what style do you like to dress in?:
Do you have a blog? Please list if yes:
Comments about the thread?:[/b][/color][/align]

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
[♥Want Critique?♥]

It's hard to improve your style when you don't have anyone to tell you what you're doing well on and what you need to work harder on, but sometimes big established communities can be a scary place for beginners. If you want some constructive criticism you can post a picture of your makeup, hair, outfit, nails, or an overall look in this thread and the link to it will be posted in this post so people can quote you. Just quote this post (without the text) and I'll post a link with your username and the link next to it.

If you offer your opinion on someone's pictures, please refrain from tearing that person down completely. Tell them what needs work, give praise where it's due, and leave it at that. Mind your manners.

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
[Reserved]

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
The thread is now open emotion_bigheart
I haven't seen you in a while

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
SANll 2

I'm in school now and the LD doesn't appeal to me anymore.
Chanda Jay
SANll 2

oooh ok. good luck with your thread

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
SANll 2
Chanda Jay
SANll 2

oooh ok. good luck with your thread

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas