Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ruthless Poster

Okay, so for Halloween I purchased a really nice midnight blue corset top with black lace. The only problem with it is the straps are nothing more than strings, I don't really like that look so I also got a lace bolero that has a similar lace pattern to the one on the shirt. Only problem is the bolero just doesn't look good with the top, the bolero is too high and the shirt is too low.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way I could use the bolero to make new sleeves for my shirt. I have a sewing machine that I can borrow from a friend, but neither of us have much experience with sewing. If there's anyone here who has done something similar before, I'd love to hear you suggestions and possibly any step by step instructions you'd be willing to give in order for me to turn this into a really nice top. =]

However, if you have no sewing skills and have a suggestion for some lace sleeves that work with spaghetti strap tops, I'd like to hear that too. =]

Thanks for your time!
I think pictures would help?

Tipsy Prophet

Cut the sleeve at the seam. If you can just rip the stitches off, that would be better, as it gives you a hem allowance.
Keep the top right-side out.
Turn the sleeve inside-out and tuck it inside the top.
Sew. Go slowly and keep a tight stitch as lace can be bitchy to work with and you don't want it bunching.
Turn sleeve right-side out and you're done!

An easier option might be adding to the bolero, though. Depending on the cut of it, you might just be able to add a strip to the bottom to give it more length. Or you can make a new bolero from scratch. They are relatively easy to make and you only need about a yard of fabric.

Edit:
Something like this might be nice on the bottom of the bolero.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff