Welcome to Gaia! ::

Did you miss me?

Im baaaccckkk 0.38181818181818 38.2% [ 168 ]
Bitches 0.61818181818182 61.8% [ 272 ]
Total Votes:[ 440 ]

Hellraiser

Jagger-Wolf
ectogasm
I've had my daith for about a month now.
Suddenly it hurts a lot, since last night. When I clean it, I don't see any pus, I try to get in there and clean it but it hurts when any pressure is on it. It brings me to tears.
Its a little swollen, I'm thinking its infected.
This had to happen on Easter
sad
Piercings through solid cardilage, like the daith, can take forever to heal, and their initial pain from the piercing seems delayed, frequently. Like they feel fine for the first week-ish, and then they go downhill and stay there quite a while.

I'd go back to your piercer and have them diagnose any infections. It could be a jewelry style or material issue, it could be too small to accommodate the swelling, or you might just be unlucky.

Make sure you're soaking and cleaning it properly. 1/4 teaspoon of pure, non-iodized sea salt dissolved into 8oz of distilled water (don't use plain tap water). Heat it to just a bit hotter than you'd make your bathwater, then pour it into a small shallow bowl up to the very brim, like over flowing. Fold a towel under the bowl and set it on the couch, then lay your ear into the over flowing bowl. Soak for 5-10 minutes at a time, 2 times a day. You can also add one more just plain water soak if you want, they're very soothing and will help loosen up trapped lymph which can cause swelling and soreness. You can also do warm chamomile tea bag compresses, which are also very soothing.

In the meantime, there are a few things you can do to help make it feel better. Do NOT sleep on that side, at all. I've heard of people tying their hair into a bun on that side to make it uncomfortable to lay on so you force yourself to stay off it. Sleep with your head elevated at all times, take OTC anti inflammatory medicines like Ibuprofen as the bottle instructs, keep any and all hair and makeup products well away from it, don't play with it.

Last piercing for a while.
I'm planning on going to a different shop for piercing, since the one here, the guy comes back every few months and will be back...August? I'll have to go out of town. But this is my last piercing until it heals but even then, I have to deal with changing my conch. I'm changing that one asap, since I toss and turn in my sleep often, it also gets irritated.

I switch between the SSS and a cold compress for 15 at a time but in that time frame, I take breaks.
The conch is the same side as the daith so, double ouch. Tying my hair back does wonders, no hair to pull my conch ring up. I take ibuprofen, every 5-6 hours, (recommended is 4-6) but probably not exactly 5-6.
Fingers, earbuds, everything never goes near it.

This just sucks, right at Easter. Oh well, maybe chocolate will help me feel better.
sweatdrop

ectogasm
Jagger-Wolf
ectogasm
I've had my daith for about a month now.
Suddenly it hurts a lot, since last night. When I clean it, I don't see any pus, I try to get in there and clean it but it hurts when any pressure is on it. It brings me to tears.
Its a little swollen, I'm thinking its infected.
This had to happen on Easter
sad
Piercings through solid cardilage, like the daith, can take forever to heal, and their initial pain from the piercing seems delayed, frequently. Like they feel fine for the first week-ish, and then they go downhill and stay there quite a while.

I'd go back to your piercer and have them diagnose any infections. It could be a jewelry style or material issue, it could be too small to accommodate the swelling, or you might just be unlucky.

Make sure you're soaking and cleaning it properly. 1/4 teaspoon of pure, non-iodized sea salt dissolved into 8oz of distilled water (don't use plain tap water). Heat it to just a bit hotter than you'd make your bathwater, then pour it into a small shallow bowl up to the very brim, like over flowing. Fold a towel under the bowl and set it on the couch, then lay your ear into the over flowing bowl. Soak for 5-10 minutes at a time, 2 times a day. You can also add one more just plain water soak if you want, they're very soothing and will help loosen up trapped lymph which can cause swelling and soreness. You can also do warm chamomile tea bag compresses, which are also very soothing.

In the meantime, there are a few things you can do to help make it feel better. Do NOT sleep on that side, at all. I've heard of people tying their hair into a bun on that side to make it uncomfortable to lay on so you force yourself to stay off it. Sleep with your head elevated at all times, take OTC anti inflammatory medicines like Ibuprofen as the bottle instructs, keep any and all hair and makeup products well away from it, don't play with it.

Last piercing for a while.
I'm planning on going to a different shop for piercing, since the one here, the guy comes back every few months and will be back...August? I'll have to go out of town. But this is my last piercing until it heals but even then, I have to deal with changing my conch. I'm changing that one asap, since I toss and turn in my sleep often, it also gets irritated.

I switch between the SSS and a cold compress for 15 at a time but in that time frame, I take breaks.
The conch is the same side as the daith so, double ouch. Tying my hair back does wonders, no hair to pull my conch ring up. I take ibuprofen, every 5-6 hours, (recommended is 4-6) but probably not exactly 5-6.
Fingers, earbuds, everything never goes near it.

This just sucks, right at Easter. Oh well, maybe chocolate will help me feel better.
sweatdrop

Ugh, is Diedrich still trying to make this holiday all about him? How I loathe that little green monstrosity...

Hellraiser

Just used a SSS.
Then tea tree oil. I think it feels better so they must be helping. Still hurts though sad
But no pus, I don't try to put too much pressure but theres no lump, well not a very visable one. It just hurts and it is red. I might go to the doctor if it doesn't get better if theres an infection.

Eloquent Vampire

ectogasm
Just used a SSS.
Then tea tree oil. I think it feels better so they must be helping. Still hurts though sad
But no pus, I don't try to put too much pressure but theres no lump, well not a very visable one. It just hurts and it is red. I might go to the doctor if it doesn't get better if theres an infection.
TTO has a numbing effect to it, but it can also be irritating to new piercings. Your piercing was about a month old, right? I'd say that's a bit too young to be using TTO on, especially if you were to use it long term. Try the warm chamomile tea bag soaks instead. It may not reduce any HT scarring lumps (I know for me they don't), but it should help with soreness, swelling, and just general bitchiness.

Hellraiser

Jagger-Wolf
ectogasm
Just used a SSS.
TTO has a numbing effect to it, but it can also be irritating to new piercings. Your piercing was about a month old, right? I'd say that's a bit too young to be using TTO on, especially if you were to use it long term. Try the warm chamomile tea bag soaks instead. It may not reduce any HT scarring lumps (I know for me they don't), but it should help with soreness, swelling, and just general bitchiness.

I think this is the first time I've used it since I got it.
I don't rely on it so I don't use it often.
But I'll definitely get chamomile tea bags

Hellraiser

User Image

so this is my ear, the swelling has gone down a little.
but it's the lump on the top part of the piercing that hurts.

Eloquent Vampire

ectogasm

User Image

It just looks like HT scarring to me, which can be painful sometimes. It frequently comes from movement, the doorknocker effect rings can have, sleeping on it, picking at it, getting caught on hairbrushes, and other forms of trauma or irritation. Mine has some, too, and I got it back in January. I still say it's a bit too young for TTO treatments, so try some warm chamomile tea bag soaks to soothe the pain, and start TTO treatments when it's about 3-4 months old if the scarring is still there. You may want to cut it 50/50 with another carrier oil like jojoba, vitamin E or emu oil to start with, it's a lot less powerful and potentially irritating that way. Once you figure out how your skin and piercing tolerate it, you can lower the carrier oil percentage and up the TTO. I've used straight TTO on piercings before with no issues, it's actually incredibly effective for me, but others find it VERY irritating to skin and piercings, so don't count on my account to be the same for you or anything.

Anyway, bottom line is, HT scarring is very common and easily treated. It sucks, but happens to a good number of people. Go for warm tea bag soaks for now because it's still so new, and start the harsher TTO treatments when it's a good 3-4 months old.

Bashful Strawberry

Hey, guys. So, I got my nostril pierced back in the beginning of February, with a stud (Anatometal, L bend), anyway, one thing I have noticed is that it seems to rise up away from my nose a lot, I push it back down pretty often. With all that movement it has developed a bump (which I have treated with Tea tree oil, and it has shrunk considerably). So, I was thinking if I changed the jewelry maybe that would help; specifically a ring (Much like this one) so that maybe it won't move as much.
Any thoughts?

Eloquent Vampire

Gummibear Pwns
Hey, guys. So, I got my nostril pierced back in the beginning of February, with a stud (Anatometal, L bend), anyway, one thing I have noticed is that it seems to rise up away from my nose a lot, I push it back down pretty often. With all that movement it has developed a bump (which I have treated with Tea tree oil, and it has shrunk considerably). So, I was thinking if I changed the jewelry maybe that would help; specifically a ring (Much like this one) so that maybe it won't move as much.
Any thoughts?
It may, but it may also cause the doorknocker effect. I'd suggest that if you want a ring, get a seamless one as close-fitting to your nostril as you can. That'll reduce doorknocker effect quite a bit if you still wanted a ring.

Or, if you wanted a stud still, get fitted for a nose screw. Your piercer can custom twist one for you to fit just right.

Bashful Strawberry

Jagger-Wolf
Gummibear Pwns
Any thoughts?
It may, but it may also cause the doorknocker effect. I'd suggest that if you want a ring, get a seamless one as close-fitting to your nostril as you can. That'll reduce doorknocker effect quite a bit if you still wanted a ring.

Or, if you wanted a stud still, get fitted for a nose screw. Your piercer can custom twist one for you to fit just right.

I do have a tiny seamless one as well, I have the one I posted (ordered from BAF a while back, during a sale or something). Anyway, yeah, I'd love a ring for now, while I continue to stretch my septum... When do you think it'd be okay to change the jewelry? I was planning on waiting until August, but since this bump has shown up, it has made me want to do it sooner. If I recall, the Piercing Bible said a nostril takes 2-4 months to heal?

Hellraiser

Jagger-Wolf
ectogasm

User Image

It just looks like HT scarring to me, which can be painful sometimes. It frequently comes from movement, the doorknocker effect rings can have, sleeping on it, picking at it, getting caught on hairbrushes, and other forms of trauma or irritation. Mine has some, too, and I got it back in January. I still say it's a bit too young for TTO treatments, so try some warm chamomile tea bag soaks to soothe the pain, and start TTO treatments when it's about 3-4 months old if the scarring is still there. You may want to cut it 50/50 with another carrier oil like jojoba, vitamin E or emu oil to start with, it's a lot less powerful and potentially irritating that way. Once you figure out how your skin and piercing tolerate it, you can lower the carrier oil percentage and up the TTO. I've used straight TTO on piercings before with no issues, it's actually incredibly effective for me, but others find it VERY irritating to skin and piercings, so don't count on my account to be the same for you or anything.

Anyway, bottom line is, HT scarring is very common and easily treated. It sucks, but happens to a good number of people. Go for warm tea bag soaks for now because it's still so new, and start the harsher TTO treatments when it's a good 3-4 months old.

Glad to know thats its just that.
Since there was no pus.
I'll be getting some stuff asap.
Ran out of sea salt
sad

Magical Cutesmasher

11,250 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Clambake 200
This is the first year where I missed the daily items for holidays, and... Ugh.
OF COURSE I MISSED THE CUTEST YEAR EVAR. Because I was out of town I never thought to log into Gaia, and I missed the first four days. So I missed five adorable items.
-cries-

Eloquent Vampire

This thread just keeps getting worse and worse. http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/real-life-fashion-style/is-peircing-your-own-ears-really-that-dangerous/t.91541909/

OP seems to be listening to reason and isn't going to do it, but the amount of people trying to suggest that it's okay is astounding.

Romantic Lover

6,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Jagger-Wolf
This thread just keeps getting worse and worse. http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/real-life-fashion-style/is-peircing-your-own-ears-really-that-dangerous/t.91541909/

OP seems to be listening to reason and isn't going to do it, but the amount of people trying to suggest that it's okay is astounding.

emotion_facepalm

Romantic Lover

6,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Dressed Up 200
So I need to /ragerant a minute.

Think back to my post a few weeks ago about the girl saying body mods aren't "who I am." Well lets continue story time.

A week or two ago, she told me that she can tell I'm still offended. Oh for the love of Jesus emotion_facepalm She has been asking me if she can give me a ride home, I tell her no (either I still have classes when she leaves or again I have my own car). I don't need a ride. I have told her this several dozen times. She still asks me if I need a ride.

She still asks me if I am still hurt and offended to which I say I never was. She then replies, "yea I can tell you are." Gee, is it my lack of communication with you? Because we never talked before the incident! Luckily I only have to see her two more times! Then she transfer to another school and I don't have to see her every the ******** again. For the love of Jesus I don't want know what I have to say for her to get the idea I WAS NEVER ******** OFFENDED! I point blank told her I wasn't offended.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff