Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Vampire

Resonare Praeteriti
Jagger-Wolf
Resonare Praeteriti

Believe me, I've dealt with my fair share of noobs in my own niche as well. Being a LaVeyan Satanist, I see fools all the time proclaiming their allegiance to the 'Dark Lord' and calling themselves Satanists, all just to look edgy. I see them dressing in all black and inverted crosses, claiming they summon demons and love to spread suffering. All I can do is chuckle to myself and walk away, knowing that true Satanists are nothing like those idiots. In my opinion, the moment you take them seriously is the moment they win.
It's not even the clothing that gets to me, even though I don't find it attractive at all. It's the attitude that gets to me. The stuck up, arrogant, entitled, know-it-all while knowing nothing, bullshit attitude that really bothers me. But that bothers me in any culture or group.

It's just frustrating to see something I love being shat upon because it's the new trendy fashion and kids just do it to be "edgy" and piss off their parents.

Exactly how I feel about my ideology. If I had a dime for every person who think Satanists worship Satan because of the grossly inaccurate twats spewing garbage, I'd be rich. If I had another dime for every time I wanted to passionately correct people on all of their wild assumptions but gave a light, diplomatic 'now don't assume x, for all you know y could be the real truth of the situation' instead, then I'd be a billionaire.

The more reasonable, level-headed, and diplomatic you are, the more likely people will take your word over the poser's for what goth is. Arguing with the imbeciles hurts that image.
I know that, and I do that. You obviously haven't seen me correct people on body mods if you assume this is the way I react to everything.

But it's still something that frustrates and bothers me. I react to the same situation differently, depending on what's going on, who I'm with/talking to, the exact context of the conversation, etc. I'm feeling in ranty-ravey mood, so I'm gonna go with it this time.
Electrick Lala
This is all so dramatic.

Juliannna
I think it can be very beautiful. Don't care if it doesn't go by the "goth" rules. Live and let live.

remove kebab
The young woman in the video was kind of hard to watch.

Agreed.

Also, I can't help but want to wash off her eyebrows. Just... Why? classified_fu
Her voice was cracking through the entire thing, too. Seemed like she was ready to burst into tears.

Eloquent Vampire

Devilishly Rotten
Electrick Lala
This is all so dramatic.

Juliannna
I think it can be very beautiful. Don't care if it doesn't go by the "goth" rules. Live and let live.

remove kebab

Agreed.

Also, I can't help but want to wash off her eyebrows. Just... Why? classified_fu
Her voice was cracking through the entire thing, too. Seemed like she was ready to burst into tears.
All of her videos are that way, I think that's just her voice. She always sounds nervous.

She's changed her eyebrow style since that video, I didn't like that sad-looking style myself, but whatever. Her points were valid and were presented in a respectful, intelligent and articulate way, there's only so much one can say for someone else's voice. Maybe she enjoys making videos but just can't get over the weird nervous tremble a lot of us have when presented with a camera. I know I do that every single time. sweatdrop
Jagger-Wolf
Devilishly Rotten
Electrick Lala
This is all so dramatic.

Juliannna

remove kebab

Agreed.

All of her videos are that way, I think that's just her voice. She always sounds nervous.

She's changed her eyebrow style since that video, I didn't like that sad-looking style myself, but whatever. Her points were valid and were presented in a respectful, intelligent and articulate way, there's only so much one can say for someone else's voice. Maybe she enjoys making videos but just can't get over the weird nervous tremble a lot of us have when presented with a camera. I know I do that every single time. sweatdrop
It's mostly the eyebrows that are/were driving me crazy. The "sad" shape just doesn't help with the nervous look/sound at all. It made her look genuinely like she was going to cry. I was half expecting her to coin Al Gore from South Park with something like "THAT'S NOT GOTH, OKAY, I'M SUPER CEREAL, NOBODY IS LISTENING BUT I'M SUPER CEREAL!".

As for the topic at hand, I can see her point, I just wish she wouldn't have rambled as much as she did.
15 minutes was a little unnecessary, in my opinion.

Eloquent Vampire

Devilishly Rotten
Jagger-Wolf
Devilishly Rotten
Electrick Lala
This is all so dramatic.

Juliannna

remove kebab

Agreed.

It's mostly the eyebrows that are/were driving me crazy. The "sad" shape just doesn't help with the nervous look/sound at all. It made her look genuinely like she was going to cry. I was half expecting her to coin Al Gore from South Park with something like "THAT'S NOT GOTH, OKAY, I'M SUPER CEREAL, NOBODY IS LISTENING BUT I'M SUPER CEREAL!".

As for the topic at hand, I can see her point, I just wish she wouldn't have rambled as much as she did.
15 minutes was a little unnecessary, in my opinion.
She does a lot of the rambling-babbling a lot, too, even in her tutorial videos. She could improve in a lot of areas, but the core of each video is pretty good, she seems to just need more practice.

I never liked the sad eyebrow style, on anyone, really. I don't care if they're drawn on or not, just make them flattering in whatever way you do them.

Enduring Phantom

Jagger-Wolf
Resonare Praeteriti
Jagger-Wolf
Resonare Praeteriti

Believe me, I've dealt with my fair share of noobs in my own niche as well. Being a LaVeyan Satanist, I see fools all the time proclaiming their allegiance to the 'Dark Lord' and calling themselves Satanists, all just to look edgy. I see them dressing in all black and inverted crosses, claiming they summon demons and love to spread suffering. All I can do is chuckle to myself and walk away, knowing that true Satanists are nothing like those idiots. In my opinion, the moment you take them seriously is the moment they win.
It's not even the clothing that gets to me, even though I don't find it attractive at all. It's the attitude that gets to me. The stuck up, arrogant, entitled, know-it-all while knowing nothing, bullshit attitude that really bothers me. But that bothers me in any culture or group.

It's just frustrating to see something I love being shat upon because it's the new trendy fashion and kids just do it to be "edgy" and piss off their parents.

Exactly how I feel about my ideology. If I had a dime for every person who think Satanists worship Satan because of the grossly inaccurate twats spewing garbage, I'd be rich. If I had another dime for every time I wanted to passionately correct people on all of their wild assumptions but gave a light, diplomatic 'now don't assume x, for all you know y could be the real truth of the situation' instead, then I'd be a billionaire.

The more reasonable, level-headed, and diplomatic you are, the more likely people will take your word over the poser's for what goth is. Arguing with the imbeciles hurts that image.
I know that, and I do that. You obviously haven't seen me correct people on body mods if you assume this is the way I react to everything.

But it's still something that frustrates and bothers me. I react to the same situation differently, depending on what's going on, who I'm with/talking to, the exact context of the conversation, etc. I'm feeling in ranty-ravey mood, so I'm gonna go with it this time.

It's cool, we all have our ups and downs. I used to be like that too, but I began to discipline myself to a very controlled, constant reaction because it bode better for my chances.

Eloquent Vampire

candy curls
1. She's boring.
2. She's ugly.
Anything positive to contribute?
candy curls
1. She's boring.
2. She's ugly.
wtf kinda bullshit is that? no one cares for your petty opinions. ugly.. wow man such a child. shes ******** beautiful she is.
Jagger-Wolf
candy curls
1. She's boring.
2. She's ugly.
Anything positive to contribute?
thats a dumb question, of course she doesn't, shes just asking for attention, she probably even thinks little of her self deep down haha
I dress like what many may call a "pastel goth" or a "nu goth" but I listen to a lot of goth music and i know gothic history. Labels are labels. If someone wishes to call themselves goth, then so be it.

Invisible Streaker

8,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
I feel like I might have a slight "pastel goth" style, but I don't call it that or in any way consider myself goth. I feel like the people who do call them selves that may just be asking for attention, but if somebody just likes the style for the style, and not the label, I don't see the problem.
I think if somebody saw someone wearing something similar to the things I wear they would assume that they are a poser, when its not always the case. Many people may just like some of the aspects of the style.

Kawaii Husband

I agree with Human in C major. Considering that there are soooo many pictures on my dash being "pastel goth". I'm not going to lie i do love the style of nu goth and pastel goth and on occasional times try to dress like them. but still, i dont put on the clothes saying im goth, i just put them on because i like the style of it. I believe its just another completely different type of style. Just because it has the word "goth" in it, people are mislead into thinking its a part of the goth community. which is wrong i know but yeah like she said its not realistic that everyone will be so accepting. I enjoyed her video, since she is so articulate and well mannered.
Jagger-Wolf
Electrick Lala
This is all so dramatic. Why does everyone care so much about what others are wearing?
We care because, like anything else you love, you want to see it done right. There IS a right way and a wrong way to do goth looks, though there are many interpretations of it. There ARE rules, there ARE guidelines, and when those are not met, you cannot and should not call yourself a goth. These new forms of "goth" do not meet these rules and guidelines, therefore, should not be called goth.

But still. It's just what others choose to do. If they wanna make fools of themselves, then let them. If they wanna call themselves goth but not do it right, then jokes on them I say. I just don't see why people are all in a huff about a mutation from a subculture. Yeah it's not really goth, but it's a fad like any other that passes, and to care so much about it is just stupid. You aren't wearing the clothes and they aren't personally affecting you, so don't worry about it.
I've seen this topic roll by so often since it was made and every time I just shrugged my shoulders. And then I realized I honestly don't care about all these new styles anymore. They just seem lame versions of things that used to be cool.
I don't consider pastel goth to be goth, because whenever I google it (I have to google it because it hasn't reached my country yet, thank god), I don't see goth. I see hipsters in dark clothing and dyed hair.
They take pictures in the same way hipsters do and whenever I see any words in relationship to a picture, it always sounds damn hipster-ish. They don't seem to care about the goth culture, only about what's hip and happening, or trying to revive an old style they never even researched just to look cool. I don't know, I just get a real fabricated feel from it.
Nu-goth and pastel goth don't appeal to me at all. It's 'fashionable' but then black. It's not about identity anymore, or about finding your place in life. It's about who looks the most retro and who's the most special little flower.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff