Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Smoker

7,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Hello, I received a call for an interview yesterday for American aparel. And I looked at there dress code to see what would be good to wear (This is more strict than the catholic school dress-code) 0-0

http://m.gawker.com/5572894/american-apparel-the-complete-new-standards-dress-code-manual/gallery/1

My best outfit that fits this would probably be a really oversized knitted sweater, cuffed black shorts with black tights underneath.

That being my best bet, I also don't know if it completely appropriate, I dress pretty plainly for my first and last interview for another clothing store and everyone else was dressed super fashion foreword (big surprise for me.. Since it was my first interview)

Help.. >_<;; ?
Unless you are already a flaming hipster it will be hard to shop for those kind of clothes, and please the hipster kings.

American Apparel is such s**t.

Fashionable Smoker

7,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Ghosty Pie
Unless you are already a flaming hipster it will be hard to shop for those kind of clothes, and please the hipster kings.

I know... but when you are searching for a job it doesn't matter who is s**t or not...

I just need to know if shorts with tights worn underneath will be appropriate... (also my supersized mint coloured sweater...) other than that I have everything else covered... I can go shopping at goodwill or something after I get the job.
-Alice Lunae-
Ghosty Pie

I know... but when you are searching for a job it doesn't matter who is s**t or not...

I just need to know if shorts with tights worn underneath will be appropriate... (also my supersized mint coloured sweater...) other than that I have everything else covered... I can go shopping at goodwill or something after I get the job.

Just the s**t they wear... its like beyond what's at goodwill. You'll see when you go there.

I've had to talk to a few of the people who work there, they pay like 300$ for a pair of pants that make them look like s**t.

Try anything, wear things that are mismatched, I don't understand their style. Good luck.

Fashionable Smoker

7,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Window Shopper 100
I just want to know if... -sigh- okay

Gawker

That's their dress code for working there. Interviewing there is completely different.

Go for the traditional blouse, skirt/suit trousers and a blazer/cardigan if necessary. You can make it "fashion forward" by using a patterned or colourful blouse or a coloured blazer or cardi. But you still want to look smart, not trendy, for an interview.

The standard neat and clean hair. Don't try and rough it up or whatever just because that's the style now. Keep it neat. And also just be clean and tidy all over. The outfit you've just decribed will be perfect for your first day there, however. Good luck.

Fashionable Smoker

7,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Rhouis
That's their dress code for working there. Interviewing there is completely different.

Go for the traditional blouse, skirt/suit trousers and a blazer/cardigan if necessary. You can make it "fashion forward" by using a patterned or colourful blouse or a coloured blazer or cardi. But you still want to look smart, not trendy, for an interview.

The standard neat and clean hair. Don't try and rough it up or whatever just because that's the style now. Keep it neat. And also just be clean and tidy all over. The outfit you've just decribed will be perfect for your first day there, however. Good luck.

Thank you so much ! c:

Clever Darling

17,640 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
I don't think shorts w/ tights would be appropriate. I know if I was interviewing someone dressed with shorts and tights, I would be thinking... "Where are your professional clothes".
I suggest the classic Nice Blouse, Long Black/Gray Pants or a Pencil Skirt, and a Blazer is need be. That's what I like to see when doing an interview.

Fashionable Smoker

7,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Thank you everyone c: I wore a cream and black striped (is it call bodie? Not sure xD) dress. With black tights and a black cardigan. I wore my (sadly) only coat, a tan jacket, and darker brown boots to even it out a bit (if that makes sense?)

It looked a lot better than how it sounds promise c:

The interview went really well, the manager was super friendly and easy to talk to. I feel super good about it c: -knocks on wood-

Sorry I didn't take the blouse idea, that everyone suggested, but the cardigan/blazer helped! I don't know why I didn't think of wearing this before? It had a casual but more formal and 'grown up' feel. The only blouse I have has more child-like trying to be an adult feel (to me personally)

Thanks again everyone n_n

Chatty Smoker

I know your interview is over but I just have to comment... one earring per earlobe? The f? Because so many girls only have one ear pierced... -_-

Even American Apparel nail polish? How will they know?! If you do get the job I hope they don't enforce it so strictly. I doubt your manager will be checking to see if your nail polish matches one of the AA shades. No roots for hair dye? No straightening? No makeup? You're right; it is worse than a Catholic school.

Fashionable Smoker

7,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Princezz Brianna
I know your interview is over but I just have to comment... one earring per earlobe? The f? Because so many girls only have one ear pierced... -_-

Even American Apparel nail polish? How will they know?! If you do get the job I hope they don't enforce it so strictly. I doubt your manager will be checking to see if your nail polish matches one of the AA shades. No roots for hair dye? No straightening? No makeup? You're right; it is worse than a Catholic school.

Not only girls work there but guys too..? so they might be referring to guys mostly, since a lot of guys just wear one earring because it is in style or they think it's cool..

I dont wear nail polish so that isn't a problem.. for others who do it might be (I fail so much at painting my nails... it's depressing) U wU

And the manager seemed really nice, I don't think she would enforce it so strictly either but she will have to draw the line somewhere, roots showing may be a no no if there is a lot of it showing. and I understand their aim, but i agree it doesnt have to be so much of a deal.

and yes it is stricter than a catholic school... even in catholic school they didnt enforce most of the rules because EVERYONE broke them... xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff