Welcome to Gaia! ::

Am I the only one who is annoyed by some so-called/self-proclaimed "makeup gurus" who only post hauls, monthly favorites, and tag videos?

They usually post a makeup tutorial 2 or 3 times a year, and their makeup tutorials aren't even varied (they do the same natural eye makeup crap every time except they change like 1 color)!

It makes me wonder if they even know what it means to be a "guru" because they're certainly not gonk

Anyone else? Also, what are your beauty guru pet peeves?

Vampire

9,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
..my favorite post of all time.
They are featured in so many magazines for nothing! e.e
I agree, is always the same color except a shade or two lighter or darker. In all honesty, they aren't that fantastic looking either. Too much credit for nothing -.-

Smoker

Collab and Tag videos emotion_facepalm

Aged Girl

I dislike when they make it obvious that they are being sponsored to advertise a certain company and their products... And to make it worse, it's always the same dang companies.

I can watch commercials and ads on television, but I watch guru videos hoping to see non biased and nonsponsored reviews.

Eloquent Vampire

I can't stand those "What's in my bag!" tagged videos. I don't give a s**t what you carry around with you.

I really like product review videos. You can tell when they've been sponsored to review a product, but that's not what I like. I like the "I randomly picked this up because it was on sale/cheap/always heard about it/etc. and decided to try it" types. Good or bad, I just like to hear honest review videos.

Dapper Fairy

I don't like it when every product they use is $20+

I don't have $1000 for make-up!! cat_sweatdrop

But I do appreciate the ones that go through the trouble of making videos, since it is a lot of work.

I must be really damned selective in who I follow because I don't have that issue with any of the ones I follow. emotion_sweatdrop
Sounds like s**t though. I wouldn't mind those kinds of videos, as long as they also did product reviews, why they like the products, etc. I don't necessarily need tutorials, but I like seeing reviews on make-up. Even with higher-end make-up that's ultra pricy because I wanna know wtf is the big deal.

Fashionable Noob

I don't understand haul and unboxing videos in the first place. Watching someone open their mail or come home from shopping and basically nothing else... Comes off as like a fetish to me. lol.
I guess that's why they're called "beauty" gurus and not "make up" specifically.... I don't like it when gurus post problematic tutorials like how to look [insert ethnicity here] it just feels wrong and is frankly quite racist. I also have a problem with Michelle Phan. As a fellow Vietnamese person, I feel like she could've been such a great role model for me, but she does those kinds of videos and seems to use her asian background to further emulate the stereotypes that we face. It's either that, or she doesn't address it at all and comes off as "trying to be white" or denouncing her background.
strawberryn
I guess that's why they're called "beauty" gurus and not "make up" specifically.... I don't like it when gurus post problematic tutorials like how to look [insert ethnicity here] it just feels wrong and is frankly quite racist. I also have a problem with Michelle Phan. As a fellow Vietnamese person, I feel like she could've been such a great role model for me, but she does those kinds of videos and seems to use her asian background to further emulate the stereotypes that we face. It's either that, or she doesn't address it at all and comes off as "trying to be white" or denouncing her background.

I wouldn't consider them "beauty gurus" either because to be a beauty guru they have to make hair, nail, AND makeup tutorials (they don't do any of that or rarely) and tags, hauls, and favorites don't make you a beauty guru because literally everyone can make these videos :/

I don't know about the MP thing though! I like her editing and I'm glad she doesn't use that fake corny voice anymore!
lace bunny
strawberryn

I wouldn't consider them "beauty gurus" either because to be a beauty guru they have to make hair, nail, AND makeup tutorials (they don't do any of that or rarely) and tags, hauls, and favorites don't make you a beauty guru because literally everyone can make these videos :/

I don't know about the MP thing though! I like her editing and I'm glad she doesn't use that fake corny voice anymore!

haha we should call them youtube gurus because they've found a way to become popular on youtube!

I like MP's editing too... it's just that I found the content and her addressing of things disappointing ):
strawberryn
lace bunny
strawberryn

haha we should call them youtube gurus because they've found a way to become popular on youtube!

I like MP's editing too... it's just that I found the content and her addressing of things disappointing ):
It's just not Easter without me, the adorable Easter Bunny! I just love being able to say that...

Shy Millionaire

5,800 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Yes! I feel like there used to be so many more hair and makeup tutorials, now it's just hauls and irrelevant tag videos. I can appreciate hauls sometimes, but I like videos that I can actually learn from xp

Friendly Bookworm

Depending on the tag, if it's makeup related, I'm okay with it. If its "I got tagged to change the wheel on a car!" then no.

I know my favorite tag was the $20 makeup challenge. Where all makeup used had to be under $20. A lot of gurus did this, and many of us budgeted people rejoiced.

If a haul video was every three months, I'd be okay with it. If it's every month and I see more "This book, this shirt, this phone case." Then no.

Some gurus do cover other aspects other than makeup, such as hair and nails. I don't mind that either.

My new peeve is when I see gurus are not applying things in a sanitary way on another person. This is just because I went to beauty school for esthetics and would have a hand slapped if my fingers EVER touched the makeup itself. I don't care if it's clean, if you used that palette 23 times with just fingers, don't put it on me.

Now, some gurus are busy with life. I know BubzBeauty is expecting a baby, Michelle Phan is wrapping up her masters and running EM Cosmetics, etc. I guess they haven't had much to sit and play with makeup.

Fashionable Gekko

11,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Trader 100
  • Cart Raider 100
I agree. I really hate the ones who do makeup tutorials but they dont take care of their skin underneath the makeup.

I also hate how some of them are obsessed with contouring their faces.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff