Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Prophet

Okay so I've wanted to try waxing as my hair grows back too fast after shaving. I've done sugar waxing once but I ended up bruising my legs.. also it was to easy to mess up making the sugar wax.

So I'm thinking of buying a gigi wax warmer and whatever wax that would be a good recommendation.

I need tips so I don't end up hurting my skin, how do I avoid:
Taking off skin
Bruising
Ingrown hairs

any help is much appreciated. I'll be looking up "how to" videos but I'd also like to hear people's personal experiences.

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

You avoid all of that by going to a professional. User Image

User ImageUser Image

Tipsy Explorer

If you're planning on waxing your underarms, go to a professional and have a hot wax treatment as they're great for smaller areas and hurt less in my opinion. The skin there is incredibly sensitive, and unless the hairs all grow in one direction, then application is going to be a b***h. As for your legs, that's a lot easier.

Make sure the area is nice and clean (no oils or body cream) and try and use a pre-wax treatment to prepare the area. Look at the direction of hair growth, you want to apply in the same direction the hair is growing, not against and try to do this in one thin application. Apply your strip and rub the area firmly, before removing the strip as quickly as possible in the opposite direction that you applied the wax. Paper strips are a lot easier to work with in my opinion and they leave less fluffy mess.

If you're worried about removing your own skin, test the temperature of the wax on your wrist first to make sure it's no going to scald you, and apply a very light layer of talcum powder over the area you're waxing after you've applied your pre-wax treatment. As for bruising, just be careful during your ripping motion. You just need to be quick, not violent. Unfortunately some people do just bruise like a peach when it comes to waxing.

Invest in some proper after wax lotion as well, this will help sooth the redness and 'chicken skin' effect a lot faster and help to prevent any nasty little infections. No hot showers or baths for around 24 hours afterwards and no fake/spray tans.

As for ingrown hairs, just use a really good exfoliator when you're in the shower, preferably a sugar scrub that also helps moisturize the skin.

Well, that's my brain picked. Good luck!
go to a professional

it's safe to assume you have zero knowledge of waxing techniques, skin, hair, or even different types of wax.
therefore the odds of you derming yourself are pretty ******** high
especially if you ******** up sugaring

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas