Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image - - - K a e l a 2 0 1 5

- - - E v e r y o n e

XXXXX I need your help deciding how to style myself for prom!

First, my dress story:

Yesterday I went to a local charity sale. It is an organization that collects gowns and holds biannual sales - where they sell each gown for 25-50 dollars normally, and 100 dollars for bridal gowns - no matter the designer, condition, or the store cost. at the second one I got a 400 dollar Maggie Sottero dress - with the tag still on it and in perfect condition - for 50 bucks. STEAL!!!

Here is the dress:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

My favorite part of the dress is the fabric itself. It is made of a silk that is woven with two different colored strands, so it changes depending on how the light hits it, and it looks iridescent. The brown gets a bit lighter, and the sash goes between an orangey-pink to a light green (which you can kind of see in the first picture).

my overall style is a bit warped. i am all about the cute stuff, but I try to add in a small amount of edge in my look if possible. I want that in my prom outfit, infused with elegance. Keep in mind that I am much much much curvier in the dress than the model in the photo, and I can only use the accessories that I have or can make at home. here are the questions:

2. Necklaces: I have two faux-diamond necklaces to pick from. Pick from them below (the photo quality sucks. keep in mind they ARE in fact silver, not gold):

User Image

3. Hair: 2 things about hair. post pictures of styles or links to YouTube videos. I also need to know whether or not i should decorate my hair as well. I have a few hair combs, a tiara, and embellished bobby pins. Also, keep in mind that i am rather savvy with wire and beading, and i have made other hair accessories for myself in the past. post inspiration for those if you suggest that. Here are the combs and the tiara: Ok so forget that. I was looking at photos of sweetheart necklines and I noticed that the ones with hair up didn't really appeal to me. Also, my hair flatters my face shape well, so I have been looking at full down or half up hair styles. Problem is, I cant find something that I find to be interesting. post pictures.

I am pretty good at deciding what to do for dances like this, but this is my last one. I really want to shine and go above what I have before. Please help, and give some advice!

I have eliminated questions as they have been concluded.

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Winning ideas:
Bow or no?
Bow Yes! smile It looks really great and keeps the sash from dragging on the ground
Accessories

Hair
NOT UPDO. updos are most interesting but they don't flatter my face, the dress neckline, or my broad shoulders.
STILL NEED AN ACTUAL STYLE
Shoes
gladiator type flats with holo-glitter connectors if the dress doesn't touch the floor too much. If it does I will wear the black heels with silver studs.
Nails
I got Impress nails in the pattern Night Fever. I have heard some great things about the nails and the pattern matches my dress really well

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I wouldn't wear those necklaces with it. As the gems on the dress seem to have a cold undertone, and so does the sash, I would wear silver jewelry instead of gold. I think both shoes could work fine, but I think the silver ones might work better. Brown/black can be a tricky combo.I would go for a basic nailpolish which suits the rhinestones on your dress, or the sash itself. I really like the branch comb. How you style your hair depends on your face, your body and your haircut. A half updo could work as well, but a full would do just as good. I would wear a full updo as it would accentuatte my long neck and slim shoulders.
^ What she said about the necklaces.

I suggest sticking to silver jewelry because a gold undertone adds another color that you would need to tie in with the whole prom look. I also suggest no bow on the sash because you mentioned a minimal "edgy" look. A bow would make it cute~ maybe you could also do a half bow with a loop up and the remains trailing like the second photo.

If your prom photo is while you both are standing, try going for flats (depending on your concern of towering over your friend). If you two choose a different pose where one is kneeling, etc., then the heels are no problem. I would suggest the silver heels. Does your dress cover your shoes?

Hair is completely your choice. I personally think an updo would look great with the combs to adorn the side of the hairstyle.

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Pikkewyn
I wouldn't wear those necklaces with it. As the gems on the dress seem to have a cold undertone, and so does the sash, I would wear silver jewelry instead of gold. I think both shoes could work fine, but I think the silver ones might work better. Brown/black can be a tricky combo.I would go for a basic nailpolish which suits the rhinestones on your dress, or the sash itself. I really like the branch comb. How you style your hair depends on your face, your body and your haircut. A half updo could work as well, but a full would do just as good. I would wear a full updo as it would accentuatte my long neck and slim shoulders.

all of my jewelry is silver. Gold looks terrible with my skin. Sorry for the photo quality, but they are definitely silver.
as stated I am a bigger girl. I have an hourglass shape with a rather abundant top and bottom. I have broad shoulders, and a not so dainty neck. my face is kind of chubby too, kind of like a very round oval, if that makes sense. my hair frames my face nicely, and I think I look kind of weird with it up all the way, which is why I was thinking half up half down. Elegant up do leaving enough to frame my face. I just need specific looks to mimic.

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Kutsuwa
^ What she said about the necklaces.

I suggest sticking to silver jewelry because a gold undertone adds another color that you would need to tie in with the whole prom look. I also suggest no bow on the sash because you mentioned a minimal "edgy" look. A bow would make it cute~ maybe you could also do a half bow with a loop up and the remains trailing like the second photo.

If your prom photo is while you both are standing, try going for flats (depending on your concern of towering over your friend). If you two choose a different pose where one is kneeling, etc., then the heels are no problem. I would suggest the silver heels. Does your dress cover your shoes?

Hair is completely your choice. I personally think an updo would look great with the combs to adorn the side of the hairstyle.

like I replied, the photo quality sucks, but they are silver.

I want flats but I don't have that option. my family doesn't have the money for new shoes. My dress does cover my feet entirely, even with maybe a spare inch or two at the bottom before my feet would be noticeable.

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Dont wear a necklace with that. The neckline is enough.
For shoes, I wouldnt even wear heels because you can't see your feet. Heels will kill you anyway.
Wear like gladiator shoes that are bedazzled.
Ballerina flats too

Sparkly Friend

11,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Aamira
Dont wear a necklace with that. The neckline is enough.
For shoes, I wouldnt even wear heels because you can't see your feet. Heels will kill you anyway.
Wear like gladiator shoes that are bedazzled.
Ballerina flats too

considered. I have the same feeling about the shoes
I took my elegant-infused-gladiator flat type shoes and revamped them. Before they had a bronze-y metal connecting the elastics, but I painted that with a holo-glitter which makes it match my dress more. So I am probably going to wear those depending on how low the dress falls.

Shameless Fatcat

I say out of the two necklaces, the second one is better that the first, because the first would be incredibly overwhelming to the sweetheart cut of the dress.

But I think a statement bracelet or large cocktail ring and good earrings would be the better option than any necklace. Even the necklace the model is wearing is too much. No necklace would be better.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff