Welcome to Gaia! ::

I want to grow really long hair, but I want it to be healthy. When I grow it out I always end up having to cut it all off because of split ends. This is because I used to seldom cut my hair so it's my own fault though.

But now I've heard that to avoid them you have to cut your hair about every 8th week, and cut off about 1/4 inch off if you want it be healthy and growing.

But is there another way to prevent them? I know that you shouldn't use too much shampoo and no heat.
If you have advices on how to make hair grow faster I'd appreciate that as well. ;>
Hair masks help rehydrate and keep your hair from getting brittle and snapping or splitting.
coconut/olive oil is my favourite.

Amazing Kuma's Waifu

Fashionable Streaker

9,700 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Married 100
[bCutting your hair is the only solution, really. I'm doing the same thing but I haven't cut my hair in MONTHS. But some other things you can avoid is swimming too much this summer because chlorine and salt water have a serious drying effect and lead to lots of damage. Also avoid dying, bleaching, perming, relaxing, etc. or blow drying. If you need more information, feel free to message me or even try reading The Body Shop Book (which is also part of my sources).

Quotable Genius

5,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
Using minimum heat, like you said for sure.
There are some good heat protectent out there.
I'd suggest at least conditioning it everyday.
User Image

Hemi Skye says:
I don't have any split ends that I can find but just trim it every 6-8 weeks, protect from heat and chemicals and when you wash your hair don't pile your hair on top but shampoo your scalp and massage it, the rest of your hair will get wash when you rinse it.

Handle it really gently, as if it was made of glass. Be ultra-gentle when brushing or combing.

Wear it up almost all the time.

Never, ever, ever use heat on it.

Every few weeks, look through your ends and with a good pair of hairdressing scissors, trim out any you can see.

You can never completely avoid split ends.

For more advice and support for growing your hair out as healthily as possible, go to www.longhaircommunity.com
I think you should stop damaging your hair and cut off the split ends D: What's the point of having long hair with split ends surprised ?
If you still want to straighten or curl your hair, use heat protection!
I recommend Tresemme heat tamer spray ♥ works great.
I recommend THIS: http://www.flatironexperts.com/Macadamia-Natural-Oil-Deep-Repair-Masque-251ml-p/mnodrm251.htm
It repairs ALL your split ends and there's also a conditioner too! Works amazing! Trust me :3
If its costly to you, then Tresemme heat repair shampoo and conditioner is great too (:

Anxious Loiterer

15,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Overstocked 200
Treat your hair to a conditioning hair mask every week or so.

Also when you use conditioner, don't use it too much on your scalp but rather let it sit on your ends for a while before washing it off.

Should know this already but when you brush your hair start at the bottom and work your way up.
If you are prone to tangles (and therefore split ends) start with a detangling comb first.

Go to a salon or have your mum/trusted friend trim the ends about 2-3cms every other month or so.

Hope this help you. smile
The only thing you can do to get rid of split ends is to cut them.
iPO0KiE
I think you should stop damaging your hair and cut off the split ends D: What's the point of having long hair with split ends surprised ?
I recommend THIS: http://www.flatironexperts.com/Macadamia-Natural-Oil-Deep-Repair-Masque-251ml-p/mnodrm251.htm
It repairs ALL your split ends and there's also a conditioner too! Works amazing! Trust me :3
If its costly to you, then Tresemme heat repair shampoo and conditioner is great too (:

I've cut them off. Now I just need to learn how to grow it out and keeping it healthy looking.

I've heard that nothing can really repair split ends besides cutting them off. o_o
Gasmed
iPO0KiE

I've cut them off. Now I just need to learn how to grow it out and keeping it healthy looking.

I've heard that nothing can really repair split ends besides cutting them off. o_o

Really o__o? Cause its works for me and my hair feels really healthy :O
    You cannot repair split ends.
    Once the hair shaft is split there is no mending it back together. The only way to fix it is to cut it off.
    If you have split ends and do not cut them off the split will climb higher and higher until the only way to fully get rid of them is to chop off most of you hair.

All those products that say "REPAIRERS SPLIT ENDS~" are a joke and a waste of money.
    Split ends can never be repaired.
I recommend getting some argon oil or macadamia oil for your hair after you wash it, you can get it at a salon but they charge ridiculous prices and you can get them on eBay for like $13. And don't wash your hair everyday, the natural oils in your hair make your hair grow faster.

Lonely Star

8,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Generous 100
Give your hair a trim. No matter how good your
conditioner or hair product you use, your hair will
just keep getting split ends. :/

4,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
i had the same problem... i got a haircut.. just like an inch or so. BUT what has worked the BEST is my shampoo change, i highly recommend John Frida; Root Awakening, and my hair is soooo nice and non-split ahah

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff