Welcome to Gaia! ::

what is the difference between regular hair spray and finishing spray for hair?
can you use both in one go? if so, which one goes first, which one goes last?

i'm searching for some type of hair spray that will keep my curls
for most of the day but that is very flexible to where i can run my
fingers through it without it being sticky or crunchy. preferably drug store.

lots of sprays say flexible hold and all that but they never actually work well.

Adored Darling

It depends on the brand of the finishing spray but they always have one of two jobs: a heavy duty hair spray or to give hair a healthy looking shine. Hair spray is simply to hold hair in place. If you are using a finishing spray to create shine I recommend to apply the finishing spray last.

I say if you are looking to keep curls in place try several different hairspray brands until you find what works the best for your curls and for your hair.

IF YOU DON'T WANT CRUNCH I do not recommend finishing sprays. At all. The only time I opt for a finishing spray is if I am pulling my hair back into a bun or something similar and I want to make certian there are no stray hairs.

BE WARNED most finishing sprays are incredibly unhealthy for hair as well. Be very careful to look at the ingredients as most sprays contain alcohol as the first ingredient which can make hair very brittle and dry up the scalp. Start to learn which chemicals to avoid in sprays too, there are multiple long lists available online. Even I can't memorize them so I have a couple pictures on my phone I can use when wanting to try a new spray.

I am a fan of barrel curls, and lately I have been flipping between Ausse and Tresemme. I really am looking for one that doesn't crunch my hair but also lasts for 8~10 hours a day. So far I am out of luck for soft curls AND longevity but hopefully this gives you some guidance about finishing sprays.
kimi no kokoro

i ended up going to my local paul mitchell salon
and buying a finishing spray that has flexible hold.
i've always had good experiences with their products
so i'm hoping this one doesn't dissapoint either.

thank you for the info!

Adored Darling

Ah let me know how it works for you! I am still on the hunt for longevity + soft hair, haha.
kimi no kokoro
Ah let me know how it works for you! I am still on the hunt for longevity + soft hair, haha.

me too, me too ;;
i'm going to test it out today
since i have dinner with a local meet up.
i'll let you know!

8,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
It's the same thing, only different textures.
MistressEnvy

i ended up liking the finishing spray better
and it smells really nice too
blaugh

8,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
tony moly
MistressEnvy

blaugh

To each their own. The actual finishing spray is to thick, for my taste and is to hard once it dried in my hair.
MistressEnvy
tony moly
MistressEnvy

blaugh

To each their own. The actual finishing spray is to thick, for my taste and is to hard once it dried in my hair.

oh, maybe it was the brand? i'm sure there are different kinds.
i used one by paul mitchell that was very light but it held my
curls all night and i had a long night.

8,000 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
tony moly
MistressEnvy
tony moly
MistressEnvy

blaugh

At my school we use Paul Mitchell products. I adore them. I think it could be the brand, because I haven't used their finishing spray as I usually use my drug store hairspray. Also the finishing spray I think was a drug store brand as well. It's just to thick for my taste, and weighs my hair down. I flat iron and back comb, my hair is already so heavy it just falls flat if I use the finishing spray that I've used at school. But if I use my usual hair spray it's perfect.
MistressEnvy
tony moly
MistressEnvy
tony moly
MistressEnvy

blaugh

At my school we use Paul Mitchell products. I adore them. I think it could be the brand, because I haven't used their finishing spray as I usually use my drug store hairspray. Also the finishing spray I think was a drug store brand as well. It's just to thick for my taste, and weighs my hair down. I flat iron and back comb, my hair is already so heavy it just falls flat if I use the finishing spray that I've used at school. But if I use my usual hair spray it's perfect.

yeah that may be it. that's how i feel about the hairsprays i've used up until now.
i'm sure there's one out there!! but for now this finish spray will do. but i'm really
in love with the smell, it's kinda citrusy instead of smelling like chemicals.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff