Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Ladykiller

Hi everyone! 4laugh
So by Saturday, i'm going to be picking up some hair dye to dye the front of my hair dark red and have the back dyed dark brown. Basically all of the hair from the front will be bleached and then redyed dark red, since my hair is allready mostly brown. I'm going to redye the back to a nearly black shade of dark brown, and then get the front a nice golden blonde color. The only part is... I need to know what Dark Red Dye works the best. I want to stay away from all of the boxed "professional" stuff because half the time it just does not work properly and it looks like a mess.

The Brands i'm really considering and want to hear about are:
Manic Panic
Splat
CHI
Punky Colour

(I want it to be either Semi-permenant, or demi-permanent)

Any more suggestions, however, can gladly be posted below!
Thank you! emotion_bigheart

Desirable Darling

13,550 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • First step to fame 200
The only brand I've tried for bright red hair is Splat.
Here's a picture of my hair when it was dyed with Splat's "Luscious Raspberries"
User Image

The color you get with Splat is really good, but it fades quickly. Any red color will though.
The dye is also very runny and messy and will stain skin or anything it touches, so be careful.

I've used Manic Panic before, but in their "Midnight Blue" shade.
The color wasn't what it was supposed to be and like most unnatural colors, it didn't last long.

Another brand I've used is Ion's Color Brilliance Brights
I've had Magenta, Aqua and Rose.
These dyes are really cheap, thick and not as vibrant as described.
The "Rose was supposed to be a baby pink color but turned out to be a light orange that was barely visible.
Aqua and Magenta were good colors, but not the color I expected.
I know this brand has some bright red shades, so if you're looking for something cheap you could try these. They didn't seem to take to my hair but they might for yours.

I've also heard good reviews about Special Effects and Beyond the Zone dyes but I've never used them myself.

Desirable Darling

13,550 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • First step to fame 200
Sorry for the giant picture, by the way. xD

Dangerous Ladykiller

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. i've had good luck with manic panic reds. punky color is also an excellent brand. the brand adore has some really great reds, especially if you like them on the more natural side (they still have unnaturals).

do you want a pink based red, an orange based red or a "true" red?

Shameless Ladykiller

kage-ookami4
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. i've had good luck with manic panic reds. punky color is also an excellent brand. the brand adore has some really great reds, especially if you like them on the more natural side (they still have unnaturals).

do you want a pink based red, an orange based red or a "true" red?

a true dark red Cx

Dangerous Ladykiller

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. to get a true red you will likely need to mix an orange based red and a pink based red.

do you have any pictures of how dark you want to go?

Shameless Ladykiller

kage-ookami4
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. to get a true red you will likely need to mix an orange based red and a pink based red.

do you have any pictures of how dark you want to go?

like cuddles red

Anxious Fairy

8,650 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
If you can get your hands on it, use Pravana Vivids Red. It will last far longer than any other semi-permanent.

Under no circumstances should you use an ION color. The red comes out fairly pink from my experience, and most of their colors stain your hair like no other.

If you want a red to last, I suggest using a demi or a permanent level 6R of some product like matrix and pairing it with the Pravana, but that's probably going to be hard to get your hands on.

To maintain your red though, mix some of whatever color you end up using in with your shampoo. It'll help the color to last MUCH longer.

OH and avoid shampoos with sulfates! Just because it says color safe doesn't mean a thing unless it's also sulfate free!

(This comes from a lot of experience with my own hair, as well as the knowledge I gained as a beauty school drop out)

Shameless Ladykiller

Necrotic Funk
If you can get your hands on it, use Pravana Vivids Red. It will last far longer than any other semi-permanent.

Under no circumstances should you use an ION color. The red comes out fairly pink from my experience, and most of their colors stain your hair like no other.

If you want a red to last, I suggest using a demi or a permanent level 6R of some product like matrix and pairing it with the Pravana, but that's probably going to be hard to get your hands on.

To maintain your red though, mix some of whatever color you end up using in with your shampoo. It'll help the color to last MUCH longer.

OH and avoid shampoos with sulfates! Just because it says color safe doesn't mean a thing unless it's also sulfate free!

(This comes from a lot of experience with my own hair, as well as the knowledge I gained as a beauty school drop out)

I think they actually have it at my local salon! Thank you!

Anxious Fairy

8,650 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
athousandsummers
Necrotic Funk

I think they actually have it at my local salon! Thank you!

You're very welcome, and I hope it turns out well! Red is super fun!
I hope you have dark towels, though. Red is a bleeder.

Manly Girl

Adore has some really great reds my favorite is crimson

Lavish Millionaire

DON'T USE SPLAT. The bleach they have is ******** rad, but their color doesn't stay, at all. It washes in the shower.

Manic Panic is basically the best choice out of the lot, it's everywhere in every color, and sticks very well.

Shameless Ladykiller

Necrotic Funk

Hi! Just another question for you, have you heard of l'oreal hilights? I heard it considerably works really well!

Anxious Fairy

8,650 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Person of Interest 200
athousandsummers
Necrotic Funk

Hi! Just another question for you, have you heard of l'oreal hilights? I heard it considerably works really well!

L'oreal is one of the better "cheap" products, in my opinion, when it comes to hair color. They actually bought out Matrix, which is a professional product that I used back in beauty school. I've never personally had an experience with that particular product, but I can tell you that the results will vary depending on what you're coloring over. The best bet is to take a strand test.

I've heard a lot of good things about L'Oreal and their highlights for dark hair, but when you're not doing it over virgin hair, the results are much harder to predict.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff