Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Loiterer

Fallen-Pottery-Angel

Yeah, be carful with the bleach and henna combo, I know for sure you can't bleach henna out of you're hair. It'll turn it to a not so happy colour. As far as lightening it before you henna it, I think it might be okay, but you could definitely try a small patch job. But be wary that it may not always be the colour you want right off the bat, it usually takes a few days for the colour to set and darken. When my sister first did it, she looked a bit like a carrot top.

Never had and issue with breakage. I condition the s**t out of my hair whenever I wash it, and pretty much avoid brushing it too, unless I shower.. As for the green not being quite what I wanted, usually I let the dye fade out for a few weeks, and the teal was still fairly strong coloured. So I think a second dye job should do the trick in a few weeks.

Not too worried about getting it out, red hair never gets old for me. Definitely going to do a patch test though cause after all this time and effort to grow it out im not ending up with meseed up color. I've cut off around 20 inches in the past year, lol.

Good luck with the green. biggrin Let us know how it goes. ^^
Angelic Reprobate
legnanellaf5
Angelic Reprobate
Hey guys,
I'm planning on dying the tips/front of my hair red. I have dark brown hair though so I was wondering if you could give me some tips on bleaching it.
I'm getting it cut super short before i do this.

Dont leave it in too long, get 30 vol and try not to get it on your scalp. Bleaching isnt that hard, it has 2 parts, you mix the powder with the liquid and put it where you want. Since you are cutting it, you likely wont need any sort of help with the development of the dye because the heat from your head will do most of it. For red you wont need it to be that blond anyways, so if it isnt like light blonde dont worry, you just need to lift it to a light brown really for a red to work.

Ah thank you, i managed to find something called a lightener. Is that what i'm looking for? Is there any colouring product i need to be wary of putting on bleached hair?

It is either going to a box with both teh developer and the bleach or you need to get them seperately, I dont know what you have. There should be instructions on it and a sense of strength.

Most dyes should work, just dont use henna.

Demonic Human

legnanellaf5
Angelic Reprobate
legnanellaf5
Angelic Reprobate
Hey guys,
I'm planning on dying the tips/front of my hair red. I have dark brown hair though so I was wondering if you could give me some tips on bleaching it.
I'm getting it cut super short before i do this.

Dont leave it in too long, get 30 vol and try not to get it on your scalp. Bleaching isnt that hard, it has 2 parts, you mix the powder with the liquid and put it where you want. Since you are cutting it, you likely wont need any sort of help with the development of the dye because the heat from your head will do most of it. For red you wont need it to be that blond anyways, so if it isnt like light blonde dont worry, you just need to lift it to a light brown really for a red to work.

Ah thank you, i managed to find something called a lightener. Is that what i'm looking for? Is there any colouring product i need to be wary of putting on bleached hair?

It is either going to a box with both teh developer and the bleach or you need to get them seperately, I dont know what you have. There should be instructions on it and a sense of strength.

Most dyes should work, just dont use henna.

Got it, thank you so much for your help.

Wealthy Alchemist

i have my hair colored Blonde. i originally have brown hair.
i get my roots down once every 2-3 months (usually around 2 and a half)
i go to a salon to get it done since i don't want to risks of doing it myself.
for me, the cost is 65 dollars for each visit (including tip)
as for lightness, my hair is a kind of light blonde but i don't plan on getting it any lighter.

as for damage control, going blonde requires bleach and so damage is expected but my hair seems to still have the same texture and other aspects to it as it did before. i think this is mostly due to the fact that i go to a salon to get it done. i also buy special shampoo and conditioner as recommended by the hairdresser. if it helps i also never blow dry my hair, i prefer to just towel dry it but i do use some hairspray for the frizzyness. i also have thick hair and i haven't noticed any hair loss.
i've been dying my hair for about a year now.

Artiistic's Significant Otter

Angelic Demigod

19,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
-How often, if ever do you dye your hair?
I dye it when I need to, usually when the roots are too much.

- Do you stick to the naturals? -> Browns, Blonds, Blacks, and Reds
Yeah, I've been all four actually. I'm red now.

- Do you do it yourself or leave it to the pros? -> Things like bleaching.
I've always done it myself

- What dye brands do you favorite and recommend?
Developer dyes I used ColorSilk, it lasted for quite a while. I use henna only now, Colora Henna Powder in Red Sunset is my go-to color. I leave it in for two hours, sometimes more. I already have red in my hair so it just adds on.

- This is always a big one, Upkeep. Best ways? At home or salon.
I don't really have an upkeep. Just shampoo and conditioner.

- Damage control?
Henna doesn't really damage hair much, but my hair is prone to frizzyness so I used a mousse to tame it.
I'm a beat of a cheat, because I don't dye my own hair. My natural hair texture is very fragile, and prone to breakage, so I keep it away from chemicals.

I dye weave and extensions, and since taking the plunge in July with aurora borealis inspired box braids I'm obsessed with color.

Before now, I've only done partial color, but now I'm doing a full navy blue pixie cut and I couldn't be more excited. I DIY as much of my hair as I can.

I love Adore hair dye, because it's very low priced whilst still giving off amazing color results. I also enjoy Directions and Special Effects, haaaaate Manic Panic though.

Deep conditioning (in the event that I had to bleach hair) is essential, to me. Nothing more I hate than squeaky, fried, hair. I also use sulfate free shampoos and avoid heat like the plague.

Komitkid's Wife

I always felt it was best to always go to the salon for anything.
Until i had an issue with them being able to match my hair color to my extensions.
Then I started bleaching my hair myself with Clearol? i believe its called.
in 1 try I was able to match my hair with my extentions. i was so pissed!!!

I spend like 100+ dollars twice getting my hair done and nobody could match my hair.

then i buy an 8$ bottle of bleach from walmart and i get it on the first try?!

lol.

I always stick with blonde hair.
Unless i want to add a funky color like pink.
I wont ever dye ALL of my hair dark because it is a pain to get it back blonde.
But sometimes ill put red underneath, or any other color,
Or i'll dye my whole head a pastel pink, because its fades really fast.

I just get the pastel colors from hottopic.
I dye my hair at least once a month. Either touching up the colour I already have or change it completely.

It depends tbh. I usually stick to black, but if I really want a different hair colour, I'll try to achieve it. (black is the hardest colour to lift though)

Sometimes I will go to a vibrant colour. Most of the time I either go to blue or purple.

If I could afford to, I would go to a salon..but I can't, I usually dye/bleach my hair at home. Salon quality is way better then box dye.

I usually go all the way or I put the brighter colours in my bangs.

Special Effects and L'Oreal.

Salon's have way better products, but they're also really expensive for someone who is on a tight budget.

- Damage control? I put argon oil in my hair twice a week, and I deep condition my hair three times a week. I try and stay away from hot tools (hair straighteners, blow dryers, curling irons)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff