Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Humorist

7,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Timid 100
I have a male friend who has a somewhat eccentric appearance. Initially I thought he was kind of a tryhard and a hipster, but actually, getting to know him, I've noticed that not only is it a look that very much suits him, it's also very socially beneficial. He gets away with behaving in strange ways, and he meets a lot of interesting people.

Since I'm an art student, I figure I want to have interesting random encounters as well but I feel that I have a pretty generic appearance by comparison. I mostly wear dresses/skirts, cardigans and smart-ish black shoes - you know, sensible, feminine, pretty conservative clothes. If I were a guy, I'd just grow a beard, but alas, as a ciswoman, I lack that option.

I'm not particularly interested in using fashion as a form of self-expression, I really don't think I'm a special snowflake, and drawing attention to myself is something that usually makes me uncomfortable, but I want to cultivate a more interesting look in the hopes that it will make it easier to strike up conversations with interesting folk.

Any tips?

Eloquent Vampire

Don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable. Don't change your look and who you project yourself as in order to gain attention, in any way. It will just make you uncomfortable and potentially attract the wrong attention. You want people to notice you first, not your out-there or eccentric or potentially weird fashion choices.

If you want to change for yourself, start by wear interesting accessories. A cool scarf, a neat necklace, a fancy belt, etc. These things are small and not too attention-grabbing, but still potentially interesting enough to be conversation starters. Etsy is fantastic for unique or one of a kind/limited of a kind things. Pair a bright or neat patterned scarf with an otherwise neutral outfit for it to stand out even more. If you're wearing a cool necklace, tie your hair up and out of the way so it's more easily visible.

Work into a new wardrobe and new accessories slowly. It's something that should take time and express who you are and what your interests are, not be "HEY! LOOK AT ME! I'M NOT BORING, RIGHT?!" That kinda thing.
when I first changed my style from fitted jeans, tshirts and hoodies every day, I started with just adding a sort of unique accessory at first, to sort of figure out what look I liked.

I don't think you should use the fact that you're an art student as leverage to dress differently, as coming from a fellow art student, that sort of perpetuates the stereotype concerning art students?
Having spent my four years of art school dressing in a pretty extreme matter, I can tell you that it's not the clothes.
It's most likely just your friend's personality or his weird mannerisms that draws people in.
Clothes actually don't make the person.

It's fine that you want to change your style, but don't do it so people will talk to you easier, because that's not going to happen. If anything, you need to be more open and assertive.
The fact that your friend gets more attention might not even be a positive thing, because even though their conversations may be fruitful in the end, it's very likely that people approach him because they think he is weird, not interesting.

If you see yourself as an artist, let your work speak for itself, don't use your wardrobe because there's often no correlation between the two.

Dapper Ladykiller

11,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Hygienic 200
Find someone interesting who had a look you admire and want and use them as a role model. This could be a celebrity, a music artist, a friend--anyone.
This book was a really good tool for working out what I like:
http://www.amazon.com/Style-Statement-Live-Your-Design/dp/B002B55XDG

Giver

9,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
Extrapolatron
I have a male friend who has a somewhat eccentric appearance. Initially I thought he was kind of a tryhard and a hipster, but actually, getting to know him, I've noticed that not only is it a look that very much suits him, it's also very socially beneficial. He gets away with behaving in strange ways, and he meets a lot of interesting people.

Since I'm an art student, I figure I want to have interesting random encounters as well but I feel that I have a pretty generic appearance by comparison. I mostly wear dresses/skirts, cardigans and smart-ish black shoes - you know, sensible, feminine, pretty conservative clothes. If I were a guy, I'd just grow a beard, but alas, as a ciswoman, I lack that option.

I'm not particularly interested in using fashion as a form of self-expression, I really don't think I'm a special snowflake, and drawing attention to myself is something that usually makes me uncomfortable, but I want to cultivate a more interesting look in the hopes that it will make it easier to strike up conversations with interesting folk.

Any tips?

If you want to change the way you dress just because you think it will attract more interesting people to you then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. You shouldn't be something you aren't and people will read artificiality (or the ones intelligent enough to anyway).

Your reasoning about people dressing differently is flawed and offensive. Just because someone dresses a certain way it doesn't mean they're trying to be special snowflakes, maybe they're just being themselves. The concept you seem to be missing is that some people are 'eccentric' because it's just the way they are and you won't be able to replicate that no matter what you're wearing.

I've had people tell me I'm 'looking for attention', 'trying too hard', 'trying to be rebellious' and all that other bullshit most of my life so far and by my mid-twenties I got sick of it. If you were asking this question for the right reasons/in the right way (apparently I'm the only person who read the judgmental undertones in your post) I would've helped but essentially what you're saying is that you want to act like something to dupe people into talking to you who actually are that something and experience societal repercussions because of who they are. If I've misunderstood then I apologize and will actually help you, but that's how it's coming off as right now.

Distinct Humorist

7,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Timid 100
Rockstar Dreams
If you want to change the way you dress just because you think it will attract more interesting people to you then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. You shouldn't be something you aren't and people will read artificiality (or the ones intelligent enough to anyway).

Your reasoning about people dressing differently is flawed and offensive. Just because someone dresses a certain way it doesn't mean they're trying to be special snowflakes, maybe they're just being themselves. The concept you seem to be missing is that some people are 'eccentric' because it's just the way they are and you won't be able to replicate that no matter what you're wearing.

I've had people tell me I'm 'looking for attention', 'trying too hard', 'trying to be rebellious' and all that other bullshit most of my life so far and by my mid-twenties I got sick of it. If you were asking this question for the right reasons/in the right way (apparently I'm the only person who read the judgmental undertones in your post) I would've helped but essentially what you're saying is that you want to act like something to dupe people into talking to you who actually are that something and experience societal repercussions because of who they are. If I've misunderstood then I apologize and will actually help you, but that's how it's coming off as right now.

Hi, thanks for your thoughtful response.

I'm curious about what you meant when you said "you shouldn't be something you aren't". At the moment, I don't think the way I dress is in any way expressive of who I am. I just try to dress in a way that's plain, conservative and uninteresting. Now I'm starting to think that maybe this isn't actually the most advantageous way to dress. Either way, I'm still not really expressing anything about my identity, so how is it any more deceptive? If anything, since I've been through most of my life being called "strange" and "weird" and "unusual" and such, I would've thought that an odd way of dressing would be more expressive and honest about my identity than my current simple way of dressing.

Just to clarify, I never intended to assert that all people who dress differently think they are special snowflakes (otherwise, why would I want to dress differently myself?) but I have met a fair number of people who dress differently because they think they're better or somehow more special than those they deem 'conformists', and wanted to clarify that this wasn't my belief. I have known people who dress differently for all kinds of reasons, many of whom feel that the way they dress really is a part of their identity, and I appreciate that reasoning, though I have to admit that I never really found myself able to relate to it or see the benefit of it until recently.

I hope that clears things up a bit..

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
People who dress differently don't look eccentric only as an icebreaker. If you want to look more interesting then you have to figure out what you like, different styles, eras, whatever. There is a degree of knowing yourself if you want to make your wardrobe and extension of yourself. find out your own tastes and how you want to be portrayed at 1st glance. Personally I find that now people have a more accurate view of my personality when I look more eccentric verses pre-wardrobe overhaul.

ETA: if you only dress different to be like that other guy and it really isn't representative of yourself it will just be annoying instead of interesting, so in your search of your actual tastes be real with yourself. If it comes out looking normal and conservative then that is okay too.

Eloquent Vampire

Extrapolatron
Some people don't just express themselves through their appearance, and that's fine. You don't have to if you don't want to, are too lazy to care, or just don't feel like it. Not everything you wear has to be a statement of who you are, what you think, and how you view the world. For a lot of people, it's just not a priority in their lives. So long as it's all clean, not full of holes, and at least fairly well put together, that's all that matters.

If you're an artist, let your art speak for itself. Don't try to drag people into talking to you because you're dressed funny, you can actually do the opposite. Don't reinforce the stereotype that artists dress weirdly because they're artists. You can turn a lot of people away from you if you're deliberately trying to be weird. Ever seen those episodes of What Not To Wear when people are REALLY outlandish and they always say "I just think it's interesting. People will find me interesting if I look like this" and it never actually comes across that way. If you have Netflix, there are at least two seasons of it up right now, go watch it. I get the feeling that that's what you're trying to do. It's not who you are, it's not what you're about, you're just too shy and unaware of how to get people interested in you and talking to you, so you think that dressing in weird and strange ways will draw more people to you when in reality, it just violently turns them off to you.

That being said, you CAN dress alternatively or "oddly" and still make it look good and allow people to approach you. I've been alternatively dressed since at least late junior high in one way or another. I figured out that no matter what I did or how hard I tried to fit in and be trendy and fashionable, it just didn't work for me. I wasn't built for it physically, nothing fit me right, and nothing felt right when I wore it. It just wasn't comfortable, physically and mentally. I broke out and started wearing things I liked, doing my makeup how I liked, and emulating other people I thought had a look I wanted to go for (tried not to directly copy, but took inspiration from them). Over the years, and through much trial and error (the internet and it's vast collection of blogs, Youtube tutorials, and resources wasn't a thing when I was growing up, so mostly error), I've sort of perfected my look and how I want to be. It's not really a statement against the world, and it's not really a statement of who I am. It's more a statement of "I find this pretty/aesthetically pleasing/interesting. If you do as well, great. If not, screw off." NOTHING I do is for the benefit of other people. I do what I do because I like it. If others happen to like it as well, cool, let's bond for a moment over that. If they don't like it, then just walk away.

I was at a small local show last night, mostly pseudo-hardcore metal teenagers (can't really be hardcore in the middle of rural northern very heavily Mormon-centric and influenced Utah, sorry), and I had several girls approach me with awe-struck faces and say "Wow, you're so pretty!" I don't really know how to respond properly to that, even after all these years, so I just smile and say thanks as politely and sincerely as I can. One of them asked me about my makeup, what products I use and how I do it, and we had a little conversation about it. Another asked me if my kitten skull necklace was real, where I got it, how much it cost, etc. Again, another nice little conversation. You can use your looks to attract people who are already attracted to the things you do, does that make sense? Someone who likes unnaturally colored hair would be more likely to approach you and maybe want to make friends with a potentially like-minded person than someone who doesn't like it. And those are the kind of friends you want.

Giver

9,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
Extrapolatron
Rockstar Dreams

I'm curious about what you meant when you said "you shouldn't be something you aren't". At the moment, I don't think the way I dress is in any way expressive of who I am. I just try to dress in a way that's plain, conservative and uninteresting. Now I'm starting to think that maybe this isn't actually the most advantageous way to dress. Either way, I'm still not really expressing anything about my identity, so how is it any more deceptive? If anything, since I've been through most of my life being called "strange" and "weird" and "unusual" and such, I would've thought that an odd way of dressing would be more expressive and honest about my identity than my current simple way of dressing.

Just to clarify, I never intended to assert that all people who dress differently think they are special snowflakes (otherwise, why would I want to dress differently myself?) but I have met a fair number of people who dress differently because they think they're better or somehow more special than those they deem 'conformists', and wanted to clarify that this wasn't my belief. I have known people who dress differently for all kinds of reasons, many of whom feel that the way they dress really is a part of their identity, and I appreciate that reasoning, though I have to admit that I never really found myself able to relate to it or see the benefit of it until recently.

What I meant by trying to be something you aren't is that you should dress a certain way/do certain things because you like to, not in the hope of attracting the people you consider more interesting to talk to you. You should never put yourself out of your comfort level for that.
While you don't consider the way you dress at all interconnected with who you are, many people who are creative and artistic as well express part of who they are through the way they dress. I am an artist, like you, but I choose to use myself as a medium for art as well as a canvas. By choosing to start dressing like the people you deem interesting, you're missing the idea that the way they dress is an expression of who they are. I can guarantee you that most of them don't even think about what they're wearing in that much depth and just wear it because they like it as opposed to a conscious decision to stand out.

You're just going about this the wrong way and you ended up coming across as judgmental and ridiculing even though that wasn't your intention. There is no standard way for an artist to dress. If you really want to change your style then go for it but be aware of the potential repercussions that come with looking 'different' and do it because you actually want to and not because you'll be unhappy doing it but want the attention from other artists. If you decide you want to dress differently for you, you need to give me an idea of what you're thinking of dressing like specifically so that I can gauge what you would like.
Believing you are a special snowflake is something to be proud of, not embarrassed by. We should all believe we are special and unique in our own ways.

Distinct Humorist

7,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Timid 100
Rockstar Dreams
Extrapolatron
Rockstar Dreams

What I meant by trying to be something you aren't is that you should dress a certain way/do certain things because you like to, not in the hope of attracting the people you consider more interesting to talk to you. You should never put yourself out of your comfort level for that.
While you don't consider the way you dress at all interconnected with who you are, many people who are creative and artistic as well express part of who they are through the way they dress. I am an artist, like you, but I choose to use myself as a medium for art as well as a canvas. By choosing to start dressing like the people you deem interesting, you're missing the idea that the way they dress is an expression of who they are. I can guarantee you that most of them don't even think about what they're wearing in that much depth and just wear it because they like it as opposed to a conscious decision to stand out.

You're just going about this the wrong way and you ended up coming across as judgmental and ridiculing even though that wasn't your intention. There is no standard way for an artist to dress. If you really want to change your style then go for it but be aware of the potential repercussions that come with looking 'different' and do it because you actually want to and not because you'll be unhappy doing it but want the attention from other artists. If you decide you want to dress differently for you, you need to give me an idea of what you're thinking of dressing like specifically so that I can gauge what you would like.

I don't really know how exactly I want to dress. I've taken a look at a lot of stuff - various alternative fashion movements, as well as more mainstream blogs and magazines - and I don't really seem to fit into any particular style. There are various people whose look I really appreciate for what it is, but I don't think would ever suit me, so I don't have anyone I can emulate. I guess I really just want to find some way of dressing which expresses something about me, rather than just trying to blend in. I don't know how to do that.

Jagger-Wolf
Extrapolatron
Some people don't just express themselves through their appearance, and that's fine. You don't have to if you don't want to, are too lazy to care, or just don't feel like it. Not everything you wear has to be a statement of who you are, what you think, and how you view the world. For a lot of people, it's just not a priority in their lives. So long as it's all clean, not full of holes, and at least fairly well put together, that's all that matters.

If you're an artist, let your art speak for itself. Don't try to drag people into talking to you because you're dressed funny, you can actually do the opposite. Don't reinforce the stereotype that artists dress weirdly because they're artists. You can turn a lot of people away from you if you're deliberately trying to be weird. Ever seen those episodes of What Not To Wear when people are REALLY outlandish and they always say "I just think it's interesting. People will find me interesting if I look like this" and it never actually comes across that way. If you have Netflix, there are at least two seasons of it up right now, go watch it. I get the feeling that that's what you're trying to do. It's not who you are, it's not what you're about, you're just too shy and unaware of how to get people interested in you and talking to you, so you think that dressing in weird and strange ways will draw more people to you when in reality, it just violently turns them off to you.

That being said, you CAN dress alternatively or "oddly" and still make it look good and allow people to approach you. I've been alternatively dressed since at least late junior high in one way or another. I figured out that no matter what I did or how hard I tried to fit in and be trendy and fashionable, it just didn't work for me. I wasn't built for it physically, nothing fit me right, and nothing felt right when I wore it. It just wasn't comfortable, physically and mentally. I broke out and started wearing things I liked, doing my makeup how I liked, and emulating other people I thought had a look I wanted to go for (tried not to directly copy, but took inspiration from them). Over the years, and through much trial and error (the internet and it's vast collection of blogs, Youtube tutorials, and resources wasn't a thing when I was growing up, so mostly error), I've sort of perfected my look and how I want to be. It's not really a statement against the world, and it's not really a statement of who I am. It's more a statement of "I find this pretty/aesthetically pleasing/interesting. If you do as well, great. If not, screw off." NOTHING I do is for the benefit of other people. I do what I do because I like it. If others happen to like it as well, cool, let's bond for a moment over that. If they don't like it, then just walk away.

I was at a small local show last night, mostly pseudo-hardcore metal teenagers (can't really be hardcore in the middle of rural northern very heavily Mormon-centric and influenced Utah, sorry), and I had several girls approach me with awe-struck faces and say "Wow, you're so pretty!" I don't really know how to respond properly to that, even after all these years, so I just smile and say thanks as politely and sincerely as I can. One of them asked me about my makeup, what products I use and how I do it, and we had a little conversation about it. Another asked me if my kitten skull necklace was real, where I got it, how much it cost, etc. Again, another nice little conversation. You can use your looks to attract people who are already attracted to the things you do, does that make sense? Someone who likes unnaturally colored hair would be more likely to approach you and maybe want to make friends with a potentially like-minded person than someone who doesn't like it. And those are the kind of friends you want.

You're right, I guess I've been going about this the wrong way. I can relate to what you're saying about how nothing really seems to 'feel right' or 'fit right', but I guess I've just got used to dressing that way. It would be nice to find a way of dressing which honestly suits me, rather than just dressing for other people which is what I've been doing so far.

So what you're trying to say is that I should just wear stuff because I like how it looks, and I just need to experiment with what exactly this is, and that's all there is to it? That seems a reasonable enough approach, and more sensible than what my attitude has been so far.

Eloquent Vampire

Extrapolatron

So what you're trying to say is that I should just wear stuff because I like how it looks, and I just need to experiment with what exactly this is, and that's all there is to it? That seems a reasonable enough approach, and more sensible than what my attitude has been so far.
Exactly. That really is all there is to it. Then it really is you just expressing your likes and interests through your aesthetics, rather than trying to please other people with your aesthetics, or trying too hard to be different and eccentric and having it just coming off as weird and deterring.

Find something you think you'd be willing to try and then try it. Change comes slowly, so don't expect it to happen overnight. Do research and go shopping frequently, always have an eye out for things you might like. Be careful about going into subculture styles if you don't identify with the subculture, as in, stay away from goth styles if you don't think you'd consider yourself a goth/part of the goth subculture. Don't adopt punk styles if you don't identify with the punk subculture. These are subcultures, after all, and you need to respect the lifestyle that goes along with the cultures. There's more to it than just aesthetics.

Giver

9,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
Extrapolatron
Rockstar Dreams
Extrapolatron
Rockstar Dreams

I don't really know how exactly I want to dress. I've taken a look at a lot of stuff - various alternative fashion movements, as well as more mainstream blogs and magazines - and I don't really seem to fit into any particular style. There are various people whose look I really appreciate for what it is, but I don't think would ever suit me, so I don't have anyone I can emulate. I guess I really just want to find some way of dressing which expresses something about me, rather than just trying to blend in. I don't know how to do that..

Start simple. Narrow down things into two categories; 1. things you would never wear for sure and 2. things you do wear or might wear if you can make them work for you. The key to having your own style is tailoring fashions to yourself. From there you can pick and choose things from styles that you may not necessarily wear from head to toe.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff