Welcome to Gaia! ::

After having my hair be normal/oily for all of my life, now suddenly my hair has turned dry and frizzy in the last few months. I am now clueless how to take care of my hair, since I have never had these problems before. I also get split ends like crazy now. I haven't changed my hair treatment habits at all (shampoo every other day, condition every day (not roots), once a week condition full head for sauna). I have only curled my hair with a curling wand twice with heat protectant in the last year, I haven't dyed my hair in almost two years. I don't use hair spray or gel or mousse or anything like that. I let my hair air dry after shower.

Problems:
dryness and frizzyness
split ends
layers got screwed up at the last hair cut (they are a bit longer than chin length now after having htem grow out, the lady cut them to the top of my ear the last time when i specifically said i wanted chin length)

So my questions are, how can I fix my hair?

I have an hair cut appointment today, should I cut my layered hair from boob length to collarbone/shoulder length with bottom of ear layers to get my hair be healthy again? Would this help with getting my layers be some longer too compared to the rest of my hair? I am wanting bit longer than boob length hair with neck length layers about.

Will changing my shampoo and conditioner to ones meant for dry hair (I've been using ones for normal hair) help fixing my hair?

How to avoid split ends?

Should I take any supplements? (biotin, fish oil, multivitamin etc) since I will be eating poor university student budget food soon...

Any other tips for growing hair (especially my layers) and getting my hair back to be healthy?

Beloved Bunny

17,750 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
you cant reallly "avoid" split ends.
take care of them by getting trims ever 4-6 weeks.

i also suffer from horribly frizzy hair with a combination of oily at the scalp. i've searched and searched for products to tame the frizz without making my hair look like i haven't washed it in 2 weeks. which i finally have. its not a product but a shampoo & conditioner

aussie miraculously smooth shampoo and conditioner is the BEST product ive ever purchased. i've been using the two, along with the 3 minute miracle deep conditioner (also miraculously smooth) just over a week and i will never go back to anything else. it leaves my hair soft with zero to minimal frizz ALL DAY

id highly recommend trying it out!

Shameless Man-Lover

Yes, changing up your shampoo and conditioner will help. I use Dove, and it works wonders for me. It's the most PH balanced drugstore shampoo and conditioner.

I would also suggest using a deep conditioner every 1 1/2 weeks. So like... every fifth time you shampoo, about.

A leave-in conditioner is also a must. I use this layered with this, and then I can let my hair air dry and it's actually pretty calm for two days until I need to wash it again. I've found that leave in products are key to keeping your hair smoother.

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
my hair isn't dry but its long and straight with major frizz and split ends- i find organix blow out cream works for me-- i put it in while my hair is wet and blow dry it every night..takes care of at least half the frizz
There are tons of different kinds of moroccan oils, argan oils, keratin infused smoothing serums etc out there that my friends or I all swear by and we've all had our hair dried from being bleached, or over styled or exposed to the sun for too long, too often - whatever.. They're life savers. They also help with frizz and flyways and just generally make hair smoother and more manageable while improving its overall state/condition. There are also a bunch of hair masks and hair treatments that you can use. I love Hello Hair, but they're an Aussie company so if you live outside of australia you'd have to wait on shipping (it's actually quite quick) and order online here. If you live somewhere around a Lush store, they have some great organic hair masks too. Other than that, deep condition your hair often, get the ends trimmed, or have your hair thinned out a little if it's on the thicker side.
Hopefully some of that helped sweatdrop
Mvlina
There are tons of different kinds of moroccan oils, argan oils, keratin infused smoothing serums etc out there that my friends or I all swear by and we've all had our hair dried from being bleached, or over styled or exposed to the sun for too long, too often - whatever.. They're life savers. They also help with frizz and flyways and just generally make hair smoother and more manageable while improving its overall state/condition. There are also a bunch of hair masks and hair treatments that you can use. I love Hello Hair, but they're an Aussie company so if you live outside of australia you'd have to wait on shipping (it's actually quite quick) and order online here. If you live somewhere around a Lush store, they have some great organic hair masks too. Other than that, deep condition your hair often, get the ends trimmed, or have your hair thinned out a little if it's on the thicker side.
Thankk you! You definittely helped. How often do you have to apply the oil? Do you apply it after shower or to dry hair?
EmmyDemmy
Mvlina
Thankk you! You definittely helped. How often do you have to apply the oil? Do you apply it after shower or to dry hair?

It seriously depends on the person, I had my hair ombre'd and I'd put some in after I had towel dried my hair a little so that it was semi dry but still able to soak up the oil before I'd have to style it. It'd also dry a little less frizzy which was nice. One of the oils comes in spray form, it's a keratin Marc Anthony product and I'd spray some of that on afterwards at different times throughout the day, so basically whenever I'd feel like it haha. Since I've gone back to dark hair I don't find myself needing as much of it, so I usually just tend to put a little in if I'm planning on blowdrying my hair, otherwise either when it's damp or just before styling it if I decide to leave it down. When I put my hair up, which is most of the time, I tend to leave it alone so that it stays in an undo better. Stilllll, if I'm doing the whole sleek high pony thing I'll go ahead and apply some. Put it on your palms and then work it in from your ends up, but try to stay away from the roots so that your hair doesn't end up looking oily. It's always better to start with a little and add more in afterwards if you feel like you need to because it will get soaked up to your roots pretty quickly if you overdo it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff